HEAT traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEAT traps

Can anyone please explain to what a HEAT trap is try be simple as is possible

thanks TC
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

A HEAT trap is where there is a point where shall we say the turret meets the body at an inverted point and would be a weak area regarding a hit..any agressively angled surface on an AFV could be considered to be a point of weakness due to welds or bonding of armour or steel and is an ideal target of oppertunity for weapon that would nessacarily have the inertia to punch ahole through sloped or dense armour.....any help?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Heat Trap

A heat trap is a shape/angle in armour that will focus/channel explosive enegry towards a perticular point, thus enhancing the effect of the explosion on the armour. An example of this was the turret of the timoney (sorry about the spelling) APC, the turret was sloped aruond where the HMG was fitted, this would have channled the energy of any explosive projectile downward towards the vunerable turret ring.

Le Meas
      Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

thanks murpy and tony i'd never heard the expression before but i think i've the jist of it good stuff
        But there's no danger
        It's a professional career
        Though it could be arranged
        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
        If you're out of luck you're out of work
        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

i'd never heard the expression before
          Don't worry about it. Honestly, I've never heard it before either, and I've been into armour for donkeys' years. "Shot trap" I'm familiar with, as it was a phenomenon from more or less WWII, vanishing in the 1960s. Possibly the most famous shot trap was the underside of the mantlet on early model Panthers. The difference is that solid projectiles ("Shot", to use the old term) would ricochet. I've never heard of a HEAT stream ricocheting, and I'm not convinced it's possible. Indeed, I would go as far as to wager that particularly sharp angles are better for dealing with HEAT warheads as there's a better chance of deforming the round before the fuzed noze is detonated.

NTM
          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

..In your case Nick its not the warhead of any missile you have to worry about..apppears the ditches on the sides of the road can be more deadly...
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

"Aha.. The old 'dig a hole and get the tank to fall into it' trick!"

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
              X