Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ways around..

Originally posted by pym View Post
    Very nice looking vehicle indeed, shame they're Japanese though. They still have strict rules which basically ban the export of their military wares......

I heard that too... But the Army has Nissan Patrols.. Where do they draw the line? Switzerland can't export arms either, but that was circumvented with the Air Corps' PC-9Ms.

Comment

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
      Came across this pic. (Note the RH front door window.) Nice vehicle.
      I take it you also saw the gas piston on the OUTSIDE that actuates the hatch, the locking latch on the inside and the outer hinges that are exposed. Not to mention the fact I said roll down windows not hatch
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Nice little funnel for a grenade there.
        Fair point

Comment

• Irish Army nissan Partols are assembled in Spain.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• For use in Iraq the Jap LAV is fitted with an open top turret mounting a .5 or similar with slope inwards sides.....now theres a funnel for grenades....down the hatch!!!!

Nice little machine though.

Interesting to note that the Japanese had to change their constitution to allow them operate overseas.....and the Japanese navy as it stands or JMSDF is now greater in numbers than the RN....

So maybe their stance on exports will change giving that they're getting over their insecurties regarding moving outside the home land.
            Last edited by hptmurphy; 16 July 2007, 15:19.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The Japanese LAV is nice, but you'd have to compare it with what other more "experenced" armed forces came up with, the Germans for instance, none of their seems like dozens of different LAV's now, come with opening windows of any kind, the French Brits Italians all of them with actual war/peacekeeping experience had that experience to draw on, the Japanese untill very recently did not, you can see it in other quirky things they have done, their new armoured recce vehicle for instance has no amphibious capability at all, so it can't cross any rivers deeper then about .8 meteres, silly in a country criss crossed with rivers, nevermind going to forign coutries with large rivers and water courses
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                I take it you also saw the gas piston on the OUTSIDE that actuates the hatch, the locking latch on the inside and the outer hinges that are exposed. Not to mention the fact I said roll down windows not hatch
                Yes, that's one of the reasons I posted the pic: openable windows that aren't 'roll-down'. Another alternative....

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Irish Army nissan Partols are assembled in Spain.
                Maybe they could assemble the Komatsu LAVs too?

Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
                The Japanese LAV is nice, but you'd have to compare it with what other more "experenced" armed forces came up with, the Germans for instance, none of their seems like dozens of different LAV's now, come with opening windows of any kind, the French Brits Italians all of them with actual war/peacekeeping experience had that experience to draw on, the Japanese untill very recently did not, you can see it in other quirky things they have done, their new armoured recce vehicle for instance has no amphibious capability at all, so it can't cross any rivers deeper then about .8 meteres, silly in a country criss crossed with rivers, nevermind going to forign coutries with large rivers and water courses

Could that not be also said about the new Piranha for the Cav?
                Last edited by FMolloy; 16 July 2007, 21:25.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure the new mowags can ford more then .8 of a meter
                  Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• According to the Mowag site, Piranah's fording depth is 1.5m.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
                      According to the Mowag site, Piranah's fording depth is 1.5m.
                      yep, almost twice the depth, .8 of a meter isn't even 3 feet....small rivers they must have:wink:

Comment

• New LATV? How about the Golan MRAP?

Saw some interesting footage on YouTube on the Golan MRAP seemed to offer decent mine and IED protection. Do you think this would be worth a look at when considering the new LATV''s?

Comment

• German LTAVs

The German Army will be deciding on its new light tactical vehicles during the next few months.

The result of the competition for up to 2,000 4x4 wheeled Group 1 Geschütze Führungs und Functionsfahrzeug (GFF) vehicles is expected to be announced in December. Group 1 vehicles must have a maximum payload of 1t, be able to carry four troops, be transportable inside a CH-53G and must feature some ballistic and mine protection.

Four candidates are currently on trial:
                          • the Achleitner Survivor (a variant of the G-Wagen);
                          • a version of the Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Mungo;
                          • the Rheinmetall Defence Gavial (a variant of the French Panhard A4 AVL);
                          • and the Volkswagen Frettchen (an armoured version of the Touareg).

The competition for 1,000-2,000 Group 2 vehicles is between the Rheinmetall Caracal (a version of the Iveco Light Multi-purpose Vehicle - the British Panther) and the MOWAG Eagle IV. Group 2 vehicles must have a gross weight of 5.3-7.5t, a payload of 1-2t and a certain level of ballistic and mine protection. Two vehicles must be air transportable in a C-160 Transall or C-130 Hercules.

Comment

• Czechs too

The Czech Minister for Defence announced today that the selection procedure for the new light armored vehicle has been cancelled, as none of the vehicles has fully met their requirements.

Sound familiar?

Comment

• Light Utility Vehicle Prototype

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• The Puma Armoured Fighting Vehicles are a family of light wheeled armoured vehicles developed in a 4×4 and 6×6 configuration…

The 4x4 would have my vote given the specs and its track history, reasonably successful production run and would possibly replace Panhard AMLs

the weapons fit is good and is currently in production

seem to meet all the criteria.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X