Mobile Gun System to replace AML 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Gun System to replace AML 90

In the latest issue of An Cosantoir, May-June 07, the article on the new Piranhas mentions that the new Piranhas with the RWS and 30mm turret will replace the AML60 role and that the DF will

"explore the market for a suitable Mobile Gun System to replace the AML 90."

In an interview with the outgoing COS in the same issue Gen Sreenan comments that

"the AMLs proved deficient in Liberia...Piranha surveillance and reconnaissance vehicles...are now coming into service. Our next step is to get a replacement for the AML 90, after that I would envisage movement on the LTAV programme."

So what sort of 'Mobile Gun System' should replace the AML 90?
    Last edited by sledger; 20 June 2007, 15:10.

A Mowag with a 105mm hopefully.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Mgs

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      A Mowag with a 105mm hopefully.
      You mean like this?

Stryker MGS. Platoon of three such vehicles per Stryker company.

Comment

Are the US army not having massive problems with the MGS platform? Along the lines of using a high velocity gun on a wheeled chassis, requiring a massive muzzle brake that means that anyone within 50m of it when firing will have their eardrums shattered, regardless of hearing protection. Oh, and some stuff about using a gravity fed autoloader, but installing it upside down......

Comment

wheeled 105mm

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          Are the US army not having massive problems with the MGS platform? Along the lines of using a high velocity gun on a wheeled chassis, requiring a massive muzzle brake that means that anyone within 50m of it when firing will have their eardrums shattered, regardless of hearing protection. Oh, and some stuff about using a gravity fed autoloader, but installing it upside down......

AMX 10RC? Centauro? Been around for a while.

Comment

Here's a pick of a mowag witha cockerill 105mm turret. http://www.army-technology.com/contr.../cmi/cmi3.html theres more info available under company details.

Comment

The turret I'm on about is the CT-CV more info here: http://www.cmigroupe.com/vpage.php?id=142

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post
                You mean like this?

Stryker MGS. Platoon of three such vehicles per Stryker company.
                Doubt it will be the MGS, too immature a system yet, maybe another couple of years but I don't see the DF buying something virtually straight after it enters service., best guess, Piranha III with a coventional turret with (hopefully) a 105mm gun, after that it's up in the air, Centauro maybe, aren't the French possibilities out of production now?
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The cokerill 105mm gun TRJ posted looks interesting
                  Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                    PC9-M anyone?
                    PC-9 though was an evolution on the PC-7 and then the PC-9 that came after, the Gun part of the MGS might just be too "shiny"....who knows though, this might just go the way of the first 2 LTAV competitions and be set aside if the Economy goes south or whatever.

Comment

i know the role of the aml 90 but i'm a bit confused about these systems mounted with 105mm and above. what is their primary role? are the weapons direct fire or basically mobile artillary pieces?

i've read what the CoS said in the article and it doesn't clearly say what role these MGS are intended for. it seems a bit over overkill for a aml 90 replacement. more like moving into self propelled artillary.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Both guns are designed for direct fire-support. I wouldn't say a 105mm gun is overkill, even third-world countries have tanks and the 90mm currently on the AML might struggle to defeat them.

A better 90mm gun could do the job, though it could be argued that the range of ammo types available to a 105mm gun would be more advantageous.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                          i know the role of the aml 90 but i'm a bit confused about these systems mounted with 105mm and above. what is their primary role? are the weapons direct fire or basically mobile artillary pieces?

i've read what the CoS said in the article and it doesn't clearly say what role these MGS are intended for. it seems a bit over overkill for a aml 90 replacement. more like moving into self propelled artillary.
                          People see "105" and think about the towed guns used by the artillery corps. The 105mm guns mounted in the MGS and other examples given here are NOT artillery pieces, and could not be effectively used as such. They are tank guns, designed for direct fire use only.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                            People see "105" and think about the towed guns used by the artillery corps. The 105mm guns mounted in the MGS and other examples given here are NOT artillery pieces, and could not be effectively used as such. They are tank guns, designed for direct fire use only.
                            Although with all the new smart rounds coming out for them, they can do more now then just kill tanks....hopefully this will be a good choice they make, and enough of them.

Comment

ok, thanks for the clarifications lads.

now, where does that leave the likes of the scorpion in the cavalry scheme of things?

if the cav corps move towards the MGS and with the CRV and MRV mowags coming into service it seems the scorpions are going to be a bit outdated in terms of firepower, armour, etc. the only advantage is perhaps their tracked performance?

also, does this have implications for arty corps? some of the systems propsed have indirect fire capabilities of up to 10km. should arty be looking for mobile mortors or guns?
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                              X