Irish Ford Armoured Car being used by reinactors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Ford Armoured Car being used by reinactors

Found this picture on military photos.net, its looks like an Irish Ford Armoured Car, with a few bits added on, its definitely got a new set of wheels. I'm guessing that its somewhere in the UK does anybody know anything about it?

No its a Russian BA-20 armoured car, introduced in 1936 for use by HQ staffs.

Last edited by sledger; 29 June 2008, 22:42.

Comment

No its a Russian BA-20 armoured car, introduced in 1936 for use by HQ staffs.

Correct,

The concept was the same and the similaity is understandable but it ain't the Ford/Thompsons machine.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

All the same, it's very, very similar. A lot of people would be pushed to tell the difference unless they knew exactly what was what.Russian reenactors,eh? I wonder does that include reenacting gulags, spontaneous executions of the unwilling, deportation of ethnics to Siberia, pillage of captured cities,etc.Bit more interesting than being a fat nazi reenactor!
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          All the same, it's very, very similar. A lot of people would be pushed to tell the difference unless they knew exactly what was what.Russian reenactors,eh? I wonder does that include reenacting gulags, spontaneous executions of the unwilling, deportation of ethnics to Siberia, pillage of captured cities,etc.Bit more interesting than being a fat nazi reenactor!
          regards
          GttC

Don't forget it was the Russians that defeated Hitler, so it's not all bad news.

Comment

I think its safe to say that the Russians had a habit of copying western designs almost directly until well after WWII.

Anyways, what's the vehicle in the background and to the right of the 'BA-20'? Looks a little like one of the Unimog based apcs the DF had.

Comment

So did the Irish copy a Russian design?

Comment

Comparison.

If the Russians had theres on the road in 1936 then it is we who did the copying as ours were a few years later.

I think the layout is because of the donor vehicles shape and limitations rather than by intent to copy.

This is a Mk 1V the earlier types were of a pick up type construction more like the Rolls Royce type AFV

It would be fair to assume that since these vehicles were rear wheel drive only and front engine it more feasible to put the manin weight over the drive train and as the chassis were shortened the centre oif gravity also moved to the rear.

Its like amini landsverk of which the Irish had some in service , and the Landsverk was also a popular layout and relatively cheap given its non extistent off road capacity its fair to say that a lot of AFVs of the time would share a similar shape
                Last edited by hptmurphy; 30 June 2008, 18:16.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                  I think its safe to say that the Russians had a habit of copying western designs almost directly until well after WWII.

Anyways, what's the vehicle in the background and to the right of the 'BA-20'? Looks a little like one of the Unimog based apcs the DF had.

Similar to the vehicle on the left of the picture, just seen from a different angle? Looks like a BA-64, the original open-topped version, to the left, and the later BA-64B, with a turret, distant right?

Comment

Working...
                  X