Military vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military vehicles

I put to get some photos for aguy who is doing a book in the staes on Irish Military vehicles and thought some here would like a look.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Nice collection.

I did pick up a pretty decent book on Irish vehicles throughout the last 80 years or so last time I was in Dublin. Big hardback thing, lots of pics. Found it quite good.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Is that Karl Martins book on the Irish Armies Vehicles.?.if so its the definitive book of Irish army vehicles awlthough given the amount of change since it being published in 2002 it requires some updating and I would hope this to the case in the future.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Can't recall offhand, it's back in California. I'm sure if he's got any sense, he'll publish an updated revision for more money!

NTM
        Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
          Can't recall offhand, it's back in California. I'm sure if he's got any sense, he'll publish an updated revision for more money!

NTM
          C-T, on a slight tangent......
          It's been approximately 20 years since the last Defence Forces Handbook.

And with the changes in the DF since then, including:

- Issue of Steyr AUG to FCA/RDF
          - Recruitment of female personnel to FCA/RDF
          - More overseas missions for the DF than you can shake a stick at since then
          - Something like a half dozen appointments to Chief of Staff since
          - Advent of PDFORRA,RACO, RDFRA
          - Issue of DPM uniform to the DF
          - Numerous new bits of kit and vehicles introduced

- the time is right for the An Cosantóir staff to do another one. Would be a popular stocking
          filler for Xmas this year.

Apod, give your mate on the staff a gentle nudge, wink.... :wink:
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 11 August 2008, 11:23.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            C-T, on a slight tangent......
            It's been approximately 20 years since the last Defence Forces Handbook.

And with the changes in the DF since then, including:

- Issue of Steyr AUG to FCA/RDF
            - Recruitment of female personnel to FCA/RDF
            - More overseas missions for the DF than you can shake a stick at since then
            - Something like a half appointments to Chief of Staff since
            - Advent of PDFORRA,RACO, RDFRA
            - Issue of DPM uniform to the DF
            - Numerous new bits of kit and vehicles introduced

- the time is right for the An Cosantóir staff to do another one. Would be a popular stocking
            filler for Xmas this year.

Apod, give your mate on the staff a gentle nudge, wink.... :wink:
            That was a popular publication. EVERYTHING a prospective recruit/cadet/apprentice needed to know about the defence forces.
            I'm sure you could fill a whole other thread (hint. MODS) on how much the Defence forces has changed since then. The Steyr was only newly introduced, as were the Kawasaki Motorbikes of 2 Cav for the (male) President. The Dauphin was also new, as was Eithne. The Timoney was still in service wih 1st Armoured Car Sqn, and inf Bns around the country were too familiar with the raspy engine note of the Panhard APC.
            Land Rover was the 4x4 of choice, and mostly soft skin, with only an occasional FFR with a hard top. The Izzy helmet was also newly introduced, along with the "velcro" closed body armour, a step up from the Korean war vintage flak jackets, in their irish covers, that can still be found on ranges occasionally.
            However the only weakness in the publication was the binding. I have mine wedged together with a large crocodile clip...If another is produced than Hard binding is the way, not soft bind gum fixing.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Land Rover was the 4x4 of choice
              with a few exceptions..there were Toyota landcruisers on offer also.,.we still had Bedford MJs, Leyland Terriers.

Acmats and MAN trucks were all the fashion.

We still had minesweepers..albeit tied up.

Its a bit like 'Reeling in the Years ' DF style

Comment

Not to mention the duties on the Border..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I seem to remember that the last handbook announced the selection of the Steyr, the PDF were still using F.N.s when it was published.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                    I seem to remember that the last handbook announced the selection of the Steyr, the PDF were still using F.N.s when it was published.

Yes, that would probably be correct.

The last DF handbook was published around the 1986-1988 timeframe.

A friend of mine has the one previous to it, circa 1983/84.

Was as jealous as fcuk, as it had all the DF unit flashes in it, PDF and FCA.

Anyway, An Cosantóir folks........ ????
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

What model dirt bike is that there using?

Comment

I have a document which was part of the submission put together for the Tech pay review board. It has pictures and basic details of every type of vehicle we could find in service with the DF, as at June 2007. You will also find pictures of motorbikes, plant & load handling equipment at the bottom of the pages.

Does anyone have a way to upload the whole file, it is 13mb?
                        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
                          I have a document which was part of the submission put together for the Tech pay review board. It has pictures and basic details of every type of vehicle we could find in service with the DF, as at June 2007. You will also find pictures of motorbikes, plant & load handling equipment at the bottom of the pages.

Does anyone have a way to upload the whole file, it is 13mb?
                          Well, even if you zip the file, it's likely the zipped file will still exceed the size limit for upload
                          to the board.... maybe one of the other guys can suggest an alternative

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Well, even if you zip the file, it's likely the zipped file will still exceed the size limit for upload
                            to the board.... maybe one of the other guys can suggest an alternative
                            I'm glad you think I know how to zip a file, while in actual fact, all I can do is bash the keyboard until the letters on screen look something like what I want to say
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
                              I'm glad you think I know how to zip a file, while in actual
                              fact, all I can do is bash the keyboard until the letters on screen look something
                              like what I want to say
                              How to Zip a file:

- Firstly, your computer must have WinZip installed - nearly all Windows based PCs do.
                              - Save your file to your own computer drive somewhere - say the C:/ drive
                              - Right click on the file
                              - About half way down the list of options, you will see the option "Win Zip"
                              - Select this, and then the option listed "Add to MYFILE.zip" (where MYFILE is the name of your file)
                              - WinZip creates a MYFILE.zip file, which is basically a compressed version of your original file,
                              placing it in the same location as the original file.
                              - Have fun !!!!
                              Last edited by Truck Driver; 11 August 2008, 16:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X