Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPGs

So very pretty. And only 18 Tonnes.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Nice bit of kit - whose is it ? 'Twould definitely give the Arty Corps considerable
    punch power if they had something like that

Other consideration is - how much is it ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Arty Corps?
      Arty Coy, if the rumours are to be believed....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Arty Corps?
        Arty Coy, if the rumours are to be believed....
        Mmmm, doubt it - then again, one never knows.... Barry will not be happy....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          Other consideration is - how much is it ?
          The link here says US$5million a pop.

I'm surpised in the first photo that the barrel isn't lowered for airlifting as below.
          Either it was staged ot the Antonov was so big, they didn't need to bother.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

French have just deployed them to Afghanistan

Comment

I'm surpised in the first photo that the barrel isn't lowered for airlifting as below.
              Either it was staged ot the Antonov was so big, they didn't need to bother.
              Different vehicle. Top one is a Renault Sherpa
              the bottom one is a Mercedes Unimog, maybe that the reason for the difference in gun stowage. Also looks like its coming off a C130

The CAESAR 155mm self-propelled gun-howitzer is a successor to self-moving artillery guns, fitted with auxiliary power units. This artillery system was designed to meet the fire support requirements of rapid deployment forces.

Comment

Well, I crawled over the Sherpa variant today. It's a deceptively simply little piece of equipment. Very lightweight gun, huge freaking spade, integrated computer system, GPS, INS in case the GPS goes down, shoot-and-scoot 6 rounds in two minutes, manually loaded with 18 rounds on the truck, and a stonking great range.

Quite impressive piece of kit.

NTM
                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

155mm is it?

Can imagine the umbrella that thing provides is comforting!
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Somethig similar is the Swedish ARCHER a 155mm gun mounted on a Volvo dump truck.

Is this the future for SPGs?

Comment

does that type of system come with a smaller gun- ie- 105 or such like
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Line up there...

Pix of those French 155mm before deployment to Afganistan.

Read recently that the Swede's and Norwegians are buying 24 Archer systems between them. Am I correct in believing that they have a 2 man crew???

Best

Måk

Comment

Hedge,

This time I'm crossing over into your area of expertise but from what I see the best SP 105mm system out there is the system that mounts a South African G7 105mm howitzer:

....onto the LAVIII/Mowag Pirana:

http://www.denellandsystems.co.za/pr...scription.html

It outranges all other 105mm systems out there and also many 155mm guns, capable of ranges of up to 32,000m. The towed version is a little heavy at 3200kg-over a ton heavier than the L119 and too heavy for the AW139, but there are plans to improve the design with a weight reduction to 2500kg.

Comment

Not my area at all JJ-

Arty way way way way back in the rear ( ironic really)

Inf- front line Soliders.

I like that MOWAG version-
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Maybe something like this would be more affordable:

MOBAT 105mm on a DAF truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X