The Brits do the same as well Luchi
    I guess now I've been told again!!
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      The Brits do the same as well Luchi

they bus there personnel to a central location then TCV it to the staging area

its actually a good thing

well done us
      Surprising that a serving soldier wouldn't have known that.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
        Surprising that a serving soldier wouldn't have known that.
        I guess serving british soldiers don't know as much as we do. Assuming of course RGJ is a serving soldier.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

get it right folks - we [The British Army] CAN and we DO drive troops in the backs of TCV's (Troop Carrying Vehicles i.e. 4 Tonner / Bedford / DAF / MAN) on normal public roads.

we do use buses to move troops BEFORE and AFTER an exercise but never as part of any exercise.

i.e. - we would drive to Wales in buses from our base in England but once in Wales we use TCV's on the training area AND across public roads.

moving across public roads is part of any exercise and we do it in TCV's if that's appropriate.

if some of you ever visit mainland UK you will see troops in the back of '4 Tonners' up and down the motorways - NOT part of an exercise!

in my old base we used to travel to the ranges by Army trucks - because it was only 12 miles away and we travelled on public roads.

so this serving soldier just doesn't make things up like others on here.

need i mention Crossmaglen?! lol
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            get it right folks - we [The British Army] CAN and we DO drive troops in the backs of TCV's (Troop Carrying Vehicles i.e. 4 Tonner / Bedford / DAF / MAN) on normal public roads.

we do use buses to move troops BEFORE and AFTER an exercise but never as part of any exercise.

i.e. - we would drive to Wales in buses from our base in England but once in Wales we use TCV's on the training area AND across public roads.

moving across public roads is part of any exercise and we do it in TCV's if that's appropriate.

if some of you ever visit mainland UK you will see troops in the back of '4 Tonners' up and down the motorways - NOT part of an exercise!

in my old base we used to travel to the ranges by Army trucks - because it was only 12 miles away and we travelled on public roads.

so this serving soldier just doesn't make things up like others on here.

need i mention Crossmaglen?! lol
            I lived in the Uk for many years and never once saw a soldier in the back of a TCV on a motorway, although i saw lots of coaches around regents park.

Comment

I lived in the Uk for many years and never once saw a soldier in the back of a TCV on a motorway, although i saw lots of coaches around regents park.
              Thats because they didn't want you to see them
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

If they are like us and I think they are then

as soon as the TCV kicks off

we lie on kip mats or each other and snore our little hearts away
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  in my old base we used to travel to the ranges by Army trucks - because it was only 12 miles away....
                  Feckin amateurs !

Try a trip of approx 30 miles one way in the same tpt, for the same reason

The Bedford 4x4 especially used to be good for a number of uses:

1. The bumpy ride prevented you nodding off

2. The exhaust fumes leaking in through the floorboards, etc., kept you well gassed

3. You could have your own game of ten-pin bowling in the back when the driver jammed on the brakes

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    1. The bumpy ride prevented you nodding off

2. The exhaust fumes leaking in through the floorboards, etc., kept you well gassed

That always puzzled me.....................bumps to keep awake carbon monoxide to put you to sleep????????

I am sure, paul, that RGJ is correct that you will see troops in trucks on the motorway even though you never have.

THe distances travelled here in trucks is generally less than 30K unless no other tpt is available. However the question of wether troops should travel in trucks is constantally being reviewed and so rules regarding the tpt constantly changing.
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                      That always puzzled me.....................bumps to keep awake carbon monoxide to put you to sleep????????

I am sure, paul, that RGJ is correct that you will see troops in trucks on the motorway even though you never have.

THe distances travelled here in trucks is generally less than 30K unless no other tpt is available. However the question of wether troops should travel in trucks is constantally being reviewed and so rules regarding the tpt constantly changing.
                      Well I lived there for ten years, including two beside regents park barracks.

I think you'll find that the mod have to follow health and safety just as much as the DOD do. it makes more sense to transport an infantry company by Coach from London to Wales for example then to use TCV. In fact most armies use coaches/buses to transport troops for long distances

Comment

By and large, troops are only transported in TCVs on actual training areas, they are brought there in coaches, its part of the fun police getting in on the military and doing their best to ruin evrything for us. Rant Finishes
                        Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

but you also lived in Ireland for many years and never once saw a soldier on patrol in Crossmaglen :wink:

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Feckin amateurs !

Try a trip of approx 30 miles one way in the same tpt, for the same reason..

30 miles - is that it? been there done that for breakfast - try being in the back of a Bedford from Dover to Edinburgh (total of 490 miles each way) - took us about 13 hours each way from what i remember.

some of the best sleeps i ever had were on the back of a 4 Tonner travelling across the UK.

anyhow - i'm sure new EU rules will put a stop to any persons being transported in the backs of trucks all over Europe - that won't stop them coming over from France though!
                          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 September 2009, 18:07.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Crossmaglen isn't in Ireland. Its in the North....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Squaddies huddled in the back of a truck used to be a common sight on "A" roads and dual carrigeways in this part of the world. Either TA units on weekend exercise, sometimes with their Scimitars, or those from further afield on route to the ranges nearby. But come to think of it I haven't seen any trucks with passengers in the rear for quite a few years now. The convoys still run but you only ever see the crew in the cab. Perhaps as someone said they're all kippin on the floor in the back.

While I'm at it the last time I was in Crossmaglen was in the early '70, being from south of the border and curious I took a walk around the town square, which had a monument in the middle at the time. Each corner of the square had a soldier on one knee with rifle variously aimed at any person or any vehicle that happend by. Kids no exception. Scary when they're pointing at you.
                              Last edited by Orion; 22 September 2009, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                                By and large, troops are only transported in TCVs on actual training areas, they are brought there in coaches, its part of the fun police getting in on the military and doing their best to ruin evrything for us. Rant Finishes
                                It actually makes perfect sense, there is no reason for troops to drive hundreds of miles along a motorway in the rain or wet in a TCV to get to a training area. I'd rather the fun police get in the way then have a few soldiers killed in a RTA.

Comment

Working...
                                X