Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
    Ah now I am safe from that.

I don't detail vehicles. But the person that does has been know to bring the wrong type. He has never needed an IMO defence he uses the "well the other truck had it so I thought they were all the same". Usually said with an Icecream in hand!!

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
    A four point harness, get rid of the loose gear and u have probably reduced casualties by 30% when the Mine strikes, thank god I was soldier operational before these clever IEDs
    With regard to your first point - that is exactly what is fitted now

With regard to your second point, daysacks are stowed under the seat, anything larger
    (read backpacks) is stowed in an accompanying stores vehicle
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      unless you want to be sat in ROPS where the only person you can engage is the lad sat opposite you then outward facing ROPS is the way to go.
      Only one problem with this logic and worries on troop transport.

ROPS trucks are not combat vehicles. They are logs vehicles.

The object is to transport the maximum volume of what ever you are transporting in a safe manner. Generally if contact was even likely the tropps would be either moving tactically on foot or in an APC.
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• ROPS trucks are not combat vehicles. They are logs vehicles.
        since the foundation of the State now many TCV's have encountered IEDs or been attacked by the Wexicans,Corkistanis ,Phantasians, German Paratroops,on the way to the Glen from CBB or any other location for that matter!

Safety being the issue. Having traveled in some of the greatest wrecks the DF has ever owned I would rather be nailed to the floor of the truck rather being bounced across the highways and by ways of Ireland.

nothing wrong with a little bit of comfort.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• @seanachie, very true. Also, why not use cargo restraints (netting and straps secured to floor rings) for kit and stores? If it's done right, the gear won't move, even in a crash. As for the ability to react to enemy fire, a piece of canvas isn't going to save you. If the tilt is in it's normal place, ie, tied down, you depend entirely on the men near the tailgate to get out in one piece, whereas with the older facing-in set-up, you could step over them. Personally, I'm not entirely convinced.

regards
          GttC

Comment

• Also, why not use cargo restraints (netting and straps secured to floor rings) for kit and stores? If it's done right, the gear won't move, even in a crash.

Valid .

Given the excessive amounts of gear carried, two trucks, one for kit, one for troops.

Looking closer at the photo it appear the truck in the back round which I assume to be a Scania, has the reverse set up with the seats facing outward.

Christ even the weight of that piece of kit would have killed the old Leyland Terrier!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Truck with test rops is an Iveco. Next one is a Scania. The Std ROPS is as in Back Ground.
              This is what we have in most trucks now

The alternate is this

Last edited by luchi; 2 November 2011, 12:10.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• There was a ROPS TCV at the assessments with fold down seats fitted facing in

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  There was a ROPS TCV at the assessments with fold down seats fitted facing in
                  That truck was used as a stores truck.
                  I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                  Who is number 1?

Comment

• How many serious injuries have there been before the use these ROP arrangements

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                      How many serious injuries have there been before the use these ROP arrangements
                      I don't know the figures but we have had plenty killed in the back of a truck over the years.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        There was a ROPS TCV at the assessments with fold down seats fitted facing in
                        LOL, Dev that truck is what started this chain of posts.
                        Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                        How many serious injuries have there been before the use these ROP arrangements
                        ROPS was introduced to increase safety ofter a very public incident. On and off there has been numerous injuries and after each one improvements in safety. The ROPS as we know it is a recent developement in Mil Tpt safety. It keeps the body in a better position than being squashed on a bench.
                        When seatbelts were first introduced in vehicles road deaths increased as drivers felt safer and took more chances. Since ROPS does not affect the driver it does not influence driving habits and does nothing in the way of accident avoidance. However it may reduce the risk of soldiers suffering from lower back pain due to using this method of travel later in their career.

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                        I don't know the figures but we have had plenty killed in the back of a truck over the years.
                        Are you saying here that the BA has plenty of fatal RTAs???
                        Some how I doubt they are outside normal stats.
                        As for injury and death due to IEDs ROPS won't make any difference.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• there has only been 1 fatal RTA in Ireland involving a DF vehicle 1990 according to records I have from D TVM covering every single REPORTED accident/incident from a cracked reflector to a fatal RTA. I cant remember who it was but i could look it up when i find the memory stick but the name Pte Kelly seems to ring a bell??

There was however a horse killed as well. Dont know if it was horsey school or civvie owned

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                            Are you saying here that the BA has plenty of fatal RTAs???
                            Some how I doubt they are outside normal stats.
                            As for injury and death due to IEDs ROPS won't make any difference.
                            yes luchi i meant as a result of RTA's - not including IED's (i don't think we have ever had a ROPS vehicle IED'd anyhow).

i do think H&S has gone a bit OTT in some respects but if we are stuck with ROPS then at least make it as best and practical as we can.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              yes luchi i meant as a result of RTA's.
                              ??

I am finding this hard to believe.

I have studied with a number of your collegues over the years. Your tpt safety record is, statistically, no worse than anyone else in the UK.

But thats accross the board. Since the introduction of ROPS I have not heard of any major accidents involving TCVs.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• luchi we have had lads killed in trucks over the years - before ROPS.

when i joined the Army i recall in Cyprus in one incident 8 Guardsmen were killed in a Bedford 4 Tonner, and we have had a few others along the way, including a soldier from the Royal Welsh when i was there again in 2006, and a Fusilier not long after in a similar incident on duty.

only a few weeks ago we had 2 lads killed in an RTA in a military vehicle.

my room mate when I was in Northern Ireland was killed in an RTA on duty, along with 2 other good friends.

most of our RTA's are actually off duty where our stats are much worse than our civilian counterparts - 3 lads from my unit were killed in an RTA (off duty) in 2009.

i'm not sure who you are getting our stats off but we are always told they are way off the scale on every briefing i have ever been to.

how many of those are in the back of truck i am not sure but i have heard plenty of stories from soldiers of many regiments about lads killed in the back of a truck.
                                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 October 2011, 23:48.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X