• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shouldn't the ROPS be outward facing?
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• What's the advantage of outward facing ROPS?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

• unless ROPS is ONLY used driving along Irish public roads then i would think the answer is quite obvious.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• The choosen ROPS is outward facing but inward facing has its merits too.

I think if you go way back in this thread you will find it was discussed.
          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• that'd take far too long. Is it the elf 'n' safety nazis again?

regards
            GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              that'd take far too long. Is it the elf 'n' safety nazis again?

regards
              GttC
              One of the more recent accidents involving pre rops TCVs was when another vehicle was in collission with the side of the TCV. There is no protection from impact to passengers seated on the outer bench, except a canvas tilt. Outward facing seats solve this issue.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• that and the fact that weapons can be brought to bear from a comfortably seated position quite easily.... it does not lend itself to webbing however which has to be removed and slung under the seat, chest rigs are fine though.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                  who needs to quote IMO??
                  Well, given your current situation I thought that a reference to IMO would greatly assist with your defence to a charge of detailing the wrong type of vehicle.
                  I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                  Who is number 1?

Comment

• Ah now I am safe from that.

I don't detail vehicles. But the person that does has been know to bring the wrong type. He has never needed an IMO defence he uses the "well the other truck had it so I thought they were all the same". Usually said with an Icecream in hand!!

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• Hi all
                      thanks, GF. So now, can the nearest truck in the picture above be used for carrying troops?
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

• I wish there was a "I'm washing my hands of this" icon.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Hi all
                          thanks, GF. So now, can the nearest truck in the picture above be used for carrying troops?
                          regards
                          GttC
                          The ROPS seats fold down. There is a Roll cage that gives te rear extra strength in event of a collision or roll over. Rex could tell you about the effectiveness of it.

But in answer to your question.
                          Since the DF went for the other type of ROPS this truck cannot carry troops.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            that and the fact that weapons can be brought to bear
                            this is exactly what i mean.

unless you want to be sat in ROPS where the only person you can engage is the lad sat opposite you then outward facing ROPS is the way to go.

and as Goldie rightly pointed out - being restrained to the side of a vehicle protected by a layer of canvas is something you wouldn't even do to an animal nowadays.

apologies for not reading earlier posts on it but i would not be happy sat in those inward facing ROPS whilst in harms way.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• I agree outward facing is the way to go,, which is probably OK if you are in theatre or whatever, but does nothing except create a lot of noise and hopefully keep the gooks heads down,, ,
                              A four point harness, get rid of the loose gear and u have probably reduced casualties by 30% when the Mine strikes, thank god I was soldier operational before these clever IEDs

Comment

• I don't get involved in there requesitioning of TCV's that much, but I can tell you that they are still designated that way, with "ROPPs fitted" listed beside the relevant trucks
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X