Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Why, Dev?
    Be able to join the Brits in a bulk purchase, thus saving money, I guess?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Mercedes launched the new Zetros earlier, claiming it is designed with numerous military and civilian roles in mind.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Both respective militaries have a long history of buying unique bits of kit that ends up costing a fortune and annoying the end users...

Comment

Why, Dev?

Section 4 (viii) Joint Procurement

The U.K. has the MAN HX60 6 tonne 4x4
          Logistics involves the setting up and running of an effective, self-contained transport network. To keep our guns firing, tanks driving and soldiers fighting, takes vast amounts of fuel, food and ammunition. Logistic vehicles provide the machine power to keep the Army operating at its highest level.

New Zealand has also purchased off the back of the U.K. contract with MAN

Reduced cost per unit

Comment

• It is not just the Brits that have a large number of HX trucks, The Swedes together with the Norwegians have a framework agreement for 2000 HX trucks lasting until 2026. Also the SISU used by the Finns shares many of the same components. Not to forget that the HX2 range has been selected by the Germans to replace their old KAT trucks.

So if we are looking for a high level of interoperability then trying to take advantage of one of the many framework contracts would be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
              It is not just the Brits that have a large number of HX trucks, The Swedes together with the Norwegians have a framework agreement for 2000 HX trucks lasting until 2026. Also the SISU used by the Finns shares many of the same components. Not to forget that the HX2 range has been selected by the Germans to replace their old KAT trucks.

So if we are looking for a high level of interoperability then trying to take advantage of one of the many framework contracts would be good.
              Would the fact that here in Ireland we go for the right hand drive version in vehicles not take us out of such an equation .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• not if you are considering the ability to share spare parts on operations; if you need to borrow a tyre or a brake pad from the neighbours until your own supply chain catches up. being a left or right hander shouldnt matter.

Comment

not if you are considering the ability to share spare parts on operations; if you need to borrow a tyre or a brake pad from the neighbours until your own supply chain catches up. being a left or right hander shouldnt matter.
                  I was thinking about the production line side of things .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    Would the fact that here in Ireland we go for the right hand drive version in vehicles not take us out of such an equation .
                    Not always. All the iveco DROPS were lhd, and of course all current afvs are lhd. Given most will at some point deploy to a country that drive on the right, and while the need for a large supply of vehicles required for operations at home is thankfully no longer the case, it makes more sense to have lhd vehicles.
                    Last edited by na grohmiti; 29 October 2019, 13:51.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• British Army have RHD

Comment

• The Japanese and other auto industries have coped for decades with the problem of making cabins and instrument panels and steering gear for both sides; they simply run multiple lines or run a factory floor dedicated to LHD or RHD, as required. Cars like the VW Golf have floors and instrument panels designed to accept either side steering wheel and associated linkage. In a lot of cases, the hardware is identical and all that changes is the plastic moulding for instrument panel surrounds and a few bits of trim. When the car is being built, it's future as a lefty or righty is decided well before metal is cut and the appropriate holes are made. In the case of AFVs, the location of the driving seat is determined by the location of the engine, drive train and routing of controls. Drivers tend to be able to get used to anything....

Comment

• I well remember my old MGB had a symmetrical body-shell, with rubber grommets blocking holes as appropriate.
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• The Golf has / had cutouts stamped in the floorpan so that the left and right sides were mirror images and the appropriate cutout was then removed as the shell was being assembled.......the rubber bungs were always going adrift. I knew a few MGB owners in my time who always delighted at finding water inside the car;-)

Comment

The Golf has / had cutouts stamped in the floorpan so that the left and right sides were mirror images and the appropriate cutout was then removed as the shell was being assembled.......the rubber bungs were always going adrift. I knew a few MGB owners in my time who always delighted at finding water inside the car;-)
                              If you wanted a watertight car, you didn't buy an MG!
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Yep Rover SD1 had a strategically placed vent on the passenger side dashboard so the steering column could be passed through it for LHD conversions

Comment

Working...
                                X