No announcement yet.

Panhard AML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algeria also used the AML 60/7 with the CS mortar, of which they had 54. They retained the turret, took out the CS (obsolete soon after it entered service) and welded lots of things on top.
    This mod has removed the drivers hatch and replaced it with 3 bulletproof glass windows instead. They have bolted on some russian ATGW, with possible storage for reloads on the turret roof. Great idea on a top heavy vehicle. The coax is retained, oddly. It looks like an AT-5 Spandrel. Comparable to a Milan, i.e wire guided, leaving the launch vehicle very exposed. Often seen in the past on BRDM type armoured vehicles.
    The launcher mounting arm completely blocks the Gunner and car commanders vision blocks, meaning they have to rely on the optical sight which sits behind the presumably steel door in the middle, for situational awareness when buttoned down.
    Algeria have also stuck turrets on their M3 APC.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Algeria also used the AML 60/7 with the CS mortar, of which they had 54. They retained the turret, took out the CS (obsolete soon after it entered service) and welded lots of things on top.
      This mod has removed the drivers hatch and replaced it with 3 bulletproof glass windows instead. They have bolted on some russian ATGW, with possible storage for reloads on the turret roof. Great idea on a top heavy vehicle. The coax is retained, oddly. It looks like an AT-5 Spandrel. Comparable to a Milan, i.e wire guided, leaving the launch vehicle very exposed. Often seen in the past on BRDM type armoured vehicles.
      The launcher mounting arm completely blocks the Gunner and car commanders vision blocks, meaning they have to rely on the optical sight which sits behind the presumably steel door in the middle, for situational awareness when buttoned down.
      Algeria have also stuck turrets on their M3 APC.
      Here is the AML60 ATGW, it can carry 4 AT-5 Spandrel or Kornet missiles. The M3 turret has both a 14.5mm and a 7.62mm machine gun and should also have 2 AT-5 missiles. Conversion was started in 2012.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	aml60-kornet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	698374

Comment

http://www.sofema-international.com/

These are the company that currently hold the licences for upgrades on AMLs, look closely at the ir banner, they've also done our former Aloutte IIIs. While I can't get a decent Spec on the Algerian AMLs, they appear to be the original petrol engine which is grossly underpowered and with the addition of the Glass blocks around the drivers hatch, unless any mod includes air conditioning these are going to be absolute hell to work in.

the Turrets on the M3 VTT look to be converted AML 60 turrets displacing the engine air intake and exhaust system

NB yup its still the original petrol donkey
        Last edited by hptmurphy; 6 December 2020, 20:13.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Are they AML turrets or BTR turrets?

Comment

Look more like btr turrets. More frying pan like than the AML60 turret.

Comment

The upgrades have been done by the local ERMA (établissement de rénovation des matériels automobiles) which is part of their Ministry of Defense.
              Although the turret looks like that fitted to both the BTR series and the BRDM series it does have some unique features. The first is the mantle around the guns which unlike the Russian turret cannot independently elevate.
              Secondly in some pictures such as the one below the turret seems to have flat surfaces:
              https://twitter.com/JeremyBinnie/sta...394306/photo/1

The have not only done work on the old Panhard models but also on the BTR's:
              https://fighterjetsworld.com/weekly-...exercise/5128/

Comment

Some of the African countries have fitted the AML 90 turret to the BTR.

Comment

It is a pretty decent gun, all things considered. Adding a laser rangefinder and passive night sights to ours made them a worthwhile weapon. Unfortunately its weakness was sticking it all on top of a tiny but heavy hull moved about by an underpowered 2litre Peugeot diesel. Probably still a useful weapon against "technicals" but would not survive long against modern armour. If you can't kill with the first shot, you won't get a second try.

Comment

AFAIK only ever a single AML-90 turret was fitted to a BTR and that was in Djibouti. More widely known and used is the Ratel-90 from South Africa which is still used in large number all across Africa. The SANDF fitted the AML-90 turret to the Ratel IFV so as to provide Fire Support for its Ratel equipped units.

While the 90mm HEAT could defeat early post war tanks that had not been fitted with ERA this is not there intended role. It is giving local direct fire support, taking on dug-in position, soft skinned and lightly armoured vehicles. They are not for taking on MBTs, that is left to ATGW variants.
                    Last edited by EUFighter; 7 December 2020, 05:36.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      AFAIK only ever a single AML-90 turret was fitted to a BTR and that was in Djibouti. More widely known and used is the Ratel-90 from South Africa which is still used in large number all across Africa. The SANDF fitted the AML-90 turret to the Ratel IFV so as to provide Fire Support for its Ratel equipped units.

While the 90mm HEAT could defeat early post war tanks that had not been fitted with ERA this is not there intended role. It is giving local direct fire support, taking on dug-in position, soft skinned and lightly armoured vehicles. They are not for taking on MBTs, that is left to ATGW variants.
                      Thank you for clarifying that which I learnt many years ago while training as an AML90 gunner. Have you any other insight you could offer that my instructor, a veteran of many Lebanon tours in the AML90, could not?

Comment

Djibouti stuck an AML90 turret onto a Cougar MRAP. I'd hate to take it off road!

Comment

don't be snarky! you know perfectly well that the comment wasn't aimed at your instructor.;-)

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            Thank you for clarifying that which I learnt many years ago while training as an AML90 gunner. Have you any other insight you could offer that my instructor, a veteran of many Lebanon tours in the AML90, could not?
                            Only that if you want one to play with now there is one for sale:
                            https://military-ads.com/ads/aml-90-panhard-eland-1974

It is an Eland should have a bit more room to move inside.

Comment

Thanks, no.

Comment

Name:	AML BTR.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	698375

Name:	amlbtr3.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	698377

Name:	amlbtr2.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	698376

Last edited by hptmurphy; 9 December 2020, 20:52.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X