Clear All

• sofa
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Leave a comment:

• UniSol
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Mowag drivers who never experienced Panhard don't know how good they have it.
    It's like the difference between sleeping in a damp sleeping bag in december under a leaky bivvy bag, or sleeping in your own bed...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHF...=onemediamusic

Damp sleeping bag? Luxury!

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    It's like the difference between sleeping in a damp sleeping bag in december under a leaky bivvy bag, or sleeping in your own bed...

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by UniSol View Post
    Don't forget no power steering and no servo assistance on the brakes...that being said I'd still hop in and drive one tomorrow. Have great memories of the gunnery and driving courses I did in them

Leave a comment:

• UniSol
    replied
    It is a pretty decent gun, all things considered. Adding a laser rangefinder and passive night sights to ours made them a worthwhile weapon. Unfortunately its weakness was sticking it all on top of a tiny but heavy hull moved about by an underpowered 2litre Peugeot diesel. Probably still a useful weapon against "technicals" but would not survive long against modern armour. If you can't kill with the first shot, you won't get a second try.
    Don't forget no power steering and no servo assistance on the brakes...that being said I'd still hop in and drive one tomorrow. Have great memories of the gunnery and driving courses I did in them

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PanhardM3_Dujardin1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	698378
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 9 December 2020, 20:55.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied

Name:	AML BTR.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	698375

Name:	amlbtr3.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	698377

Name:	amlbtr2.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	698376

Last edited by hptmurphy; 9 December 2020, 20:52.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Thanks, no.

Leave a comment:

• EUFighter
    replied
    Thank you for clarifying that which I learnt many years ago while training as an AML90 gunner. Have you any other insight you could offer that my instructor, a veteran of many Lebanon tours in the AML90, could not?
    Only that if you want one to play with now there is one for sale:
    https://military-ads.com/ads/aml-90-panhard-eland-1974

It is an Eland should have a bit more room to move inside.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    don't be snarky! you know perfectly well that the comment wasn't aimed at your instructor.;-)

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Djibouti stuck an AML90 turret onto a Cougar MRAP. I'd hate to take it off road!

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
    AFAIK only ever a single AML-90 turret was fitted to a BTR and that was in Djibouti. More widely known and used is the Ratel-90 from South Africa which is still used in large number all across Africa. The SANDF fitted the AML-90 turret to the Ratel IFV so as to provide Fire Support for its Ratel equipped units.

While the 90mm HEAT could defeat early post war tanks that had not been fitted with ERA this is not there intended role. It is giving local direct fire support, taking on dug-in position, soft skinned and lightly armoured vehicles. They are not for taking on MBTs, that is left to ATGW variants.
    Thank you for clarifying that which I learnt many years ago while training as an AML90 gunner. Have you any other insight you could offer that my instructor, a veteran of many Lebanon tours in the AML90, could not?

Leave a comment:

• EUFighter
    replied
    AFAIK only ever a single AML-90 turret was fitted to a BTR and that was in Djibouti. More widely known and used is the Ratel-90 from South Africa which is still used in large number all across Africa. The SANDF fitted the AML-90 turret to the Ratel IFV so as to provide Fire Support for its Ratel equipped units.

While the 90mm HEAT could defeat early post war tanks that had not been fitted with ERA this is not there intended role. It is giving local direct fire support, taking on dug-in position, soft skinned and lightly armoured vehicles. They are not for taking on MBTs, that is left to ATGW variants.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 7 December 2020, 05:36.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    It is a pretty decent gun, all things considered. Adding a laser rangefinder and passive night sights to ours made them a worthwhile weapon. Unfortunately its weakness was sticking it all on top of a tiny but heavy hull moved about by an underpowered 2litre Peugeot diesel. Probably still a useful weapon against "technicals" but would not survive long against modern armour. If you can't kill with the first shot, you won't get a second try.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Some of the African countries have fitted the AML 90 turret to the BTR.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X