Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 Ford F-350 SORV for Irish Army (Sp Fces)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Ford F-350 SORV for Irish Army (Sp Fces)

From Military Machines Feb 04

Displayed on the land rover stand was and example of the FORD F 350 SORV
    (Severe off road vehicle) based on fords F 250/350 commercial pick up.
    It was announced at the DESi that the irish army had procured 13 sorv for possible use by it's special forces on recce ops.The vehicles are currently being heavily modified by Ricardo Vehicle Engineering and it is understood they are being fitted with a rear body - frame similar to that fitted to the UK's WMIK fleet.

WMIK ( Wpns mount kit)

" just get me my Green surf board and shades surf's up "

Gunner

mil pic is too dull to be scanned

Attached Files

Are they left or right hand drive?
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Does it matter? At the moment there is a mixture. The DROPS are LHD,the Piranhas are as good as LHD. The Land Rovers appear to be RHD.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Jeez, I was just wondering !!!:D

I wasn't sure if Ford made or marketed those trucks in Europe, and certainly not Ireland, because of their huge fuel consumption by most European auto standards.

They are expensive enough to gas up in the US, I can only dread how much to "fill 'er up" in Ireland !!!
        No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

How does this affect driver training?
          Forgive my ignorance as a non driver (soon to change after I had to rush my dad to hospital the other night, I guess ruralites have as little excuse for not driving as urbanites have for it) but is there much difficulty in switching from a right to left hand drive vehicle?
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The gearstick is on the other side...

Comment

CQ, it's not difficult at all, seems natural after a couple of minutes.

IAS

Comment

Its easy. Only issue is sometimes after pulling out on to the road you may occasionally scare the other drivers. This will pass after a while.

Driving should be tought in school

Comment

enclosed land rover version

dont you think this fits the bill a better
                  parts are available
                  Diesel engine 2.5 lt TDI
                  as simple as a sand castle

Gunner
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also less stable at speed, open to the elements, has a much smaller payload and it isn't all that reliable (at least the civvy Td5s aren't). The Fords are a different size class of vehicle altogether. Doesn't mean they were the right purchase either, but I presume that those who made the decision have a better idea of the requirements than we do.

Comment

[B]Also less stable at speed,

as a previous owner of both 90/110 models quite ok up to about 110 kph quite fast enough for military ops

open to the elements: Better observation all round ever try speak to the driver from the back bed of a dual cab pick up truck

has a much smaller payload but enough for 24 hr recce ops ever check out the WMK's the sas use in the desert and tell me they are shot of gear , will fit down irish lanes and inside Casa !

and it isn't all that reliable (at least the civvy Td5s aren't). True Land rover have their problems with TDI 's mainly gearboxes but are simple to fix , as far as i know the Military versions have use the 4 cylinder TDI mark 300 engines 2.5 turbo more torque but less max HP but who needs hp

The Fords are a different size class of vehicle altogether.
                      yes a crew cab pick and bed with a 6.5 lt Turbo diesel engine , if my info is correct where are we going to get spares for that or panels to fix if used in anger spare part is a dirty word in the irish military dictionary ??

Doesn't mean they were the right purchase either, Why invent the wheel WMK's are cheaper and proven and can be de kitted with roll over bars and plastic rear bodies like the UK's Wolf land rover

but I presume that those who made the decision have a better idea of the requirements than we do.
                      I would like the presumption to be true ?

Gunner

as a taster have a look at the arw in east timor with 2 x suzuki DR 350 motorcycles with ling range tanks and bark busters followed by a Aussie Unimog U1300 also a good platform for a Gunship or recce vehicle
                      Attached Files

Comment

The model you had may have been stable, but did it have a .5 mounted on top?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kermit

[B]The model you had may have been stable, but did it have a .5 mounted on top?

No Currently not on the scale of issue to the East Cork Militia

but 84 Lb + Mounts + box of .5 Ammo + Operative on a stable mount properly engineered i.e. Suspension Limited in travel and uprated to take into account the mass will leave you with a usable platform

of course a large vehicle with a wider Track and longer wheel base will provide greater stability but a a cost to maneuverability and cross country access ?

we are not talking about perfection

Rccce is not performed at 100 km/hr but you still need the ability to return fire as soon as it is spotted to give you time to get out of there

Comment

I agree with Gunner. I'm on my third 110 Defender and find them a very reliable vehicle. The mil versions aren't equipped with TD5s which makes them simpler to support and maintain. The 110 and 130 are used by SAS, SBS, Aussie SAS (6 wheel drive version), US Army Rangers and our own ARW. It seems to have a bit of a following.

Comment

This is a proper military land rover

Comment

Working...
                              X