Origin of AFVs in Cav collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of AFVs in Cav collection

Bit of an anorak question, but does anyone know the origin of those vehicles in the Cavalry collection which were types never used in Ireland? I'm referring to the M113 and Ferret in particular, but thee are I think a couple of others too. Were they received as 'swops' from other museums?

Off the top of my head both were UN supplied

M113 was used in the Congo I think.

Ferret was used in Cyprus

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
      Bit of an anorak question, but does anyone know the origin of those vehicles in the Cavalry collection which were types never used in Ireland? I'm referring to the M113 and Ferret in particular, but thee are I think a couple of others too. Were they received as 'swops' from other museums?
      I didn't know there was an M113 in the collection. The Ferret I believe was a swap for an Irish Leyland armoured car with a tank museum in the UK.

Also, the Scania APC was a swap with the Swedes for an Irish Landsverk armoured car.
      Last edited by Rhodes; 19 September 2017, 01:13.

Comment

The Scania "White Lady" would have been very familiar to troops who served in the Congo.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The M113 was a very short loan of one vehicle in the Congo, one photograph in existence, there isn't a preserved example in the country that the army own.

The Ferrets were on loan for a period in Cyprus until the Panhards came on stream all though there was an overlap. Bovington has a Leyland but I'm not sure if that was the actual swap.

Two Landsverks went overseas, one to the Netherlands and one to Sweden, in return we got the Scania

Anything else in the collection is original .......with the exception of the Peerless which has very dubious parentage and is not the one used in the film Michael Collins
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Anything else in the collection is original .......with the exception of the Peerless which has very dubious parentage and is not the one used in the film Michael Collins
            Didn't we trade one of of the cars for a Bren Carrier off Bovington?

Comment

Its a Universal carrier , not a Bren Carrier, substantial difference, we had so many I couldn't say
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Our Bren carriers ended up in Hammond Lane. I doubt if an actual Irish contract carrier still exists. They were taken out of service after a host of accidents caused by fellas messing in them and the desire of the DoD to shrink the Army after WW2 ended.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Our Bren carriers ended up in Hammond Lane. I doubt if an actual Irish contract carrier still exists. They were taken out of service after a host of accidents caused by fellas messing in them and the desire of the DoD to shrink the Army after WW2 ended.
                  Mate of mine has one having been buried in a bog for years, non runner, Bord Na Mona ended up with quite a few it would seem.

the one in the cav collection is actually a Ford T16 and was purchased in the UK a number of years ago

Comment

My grandfather told me that lads would be messing about with them and they often threw a track and were simply pushed aside, as they had plenty of them. I saw a photo of a huge stack of them in Hammond Lane awaiting the torch.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      My grandfather told me that lads would be messing about with them and they often threw a track and were simply pushed aside, as they had plenty of them. I saw a photo of a huge stack of them in Hammond Lane awaiting the torch.
                      Hammond lane had more respect for our equipment than we did. For many years there was a 4 inch gun from the corvettes guarding the Gate at their Cork yard. Thankfully it never made it to the cutting torch and is now safely back either in the Main Square in Haulbowline or Spike.

Comment

What was/is Hammond lane? A private scrapyard?
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          What was/is Hammond lane? A private scrapyard?
                          correct

Comment

Part of the Clearway group.

Comment

I read somewhere once we had between 600 and 800 bren / universal carriers at one point.

aaand a quick google says 226

Last edited by morpheus; 22 September 2017, 15:45.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                              X