Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ltav 2.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DeV View Post

    Level 4 probably isn’t possible for most LTAVs

    but the report states “Level 4 across the range of replacement armoured vehicles”
    For the third time, the Level 4 armour requirement from the CoDF report is for the Mowag replacement.
    The range of vehicles will be Infantry APCs, command cars, CRVs, ambulances and possibly mortar carriers, EOD, ESSC and C4I variants based on a common 8x8 platform. Nothing to do with LTAVs which was not mentioned in the CoDF report.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      I've decided.
      France have ordered more Servals. That'll be a busy fresh production line for a while yet.
      Interesting choice. I look at the Serval, it's dimensions, the fact that it has a crew of 2 and 8 passengers, and the 17000kg weight, and I question if it can be categorised as being "light". Now, if it is going to be an integral part of a wider program that sees the Mowag APC replaced by the VBMR Griffin , the Mowag CRVMRV replaced by the Jaguar, that would be a different situation.

      I have also seen reference to a "Serval VLTP P segment haut (multipurpose light tactical vehicles)" which may be a lighter variant of the platform (see https://militaryleak.com/2022/07/23/...ored-vehicles/).
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

      Comment


      • #18
        How about the Arquus Sherpa (although not part of Scorpion programme)?

        Sherpa Light is a APC military vehicle product by ARQUUS, a french armored vehicle brand.


        or the even smaller PVP ?


        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by DeV View Post
          How about the Arquus Sherpa (although not part of Scorpion programme)?

          Sherpa Light is a APC military vehicle product by ARQUUS, a french armored vehicle brand.

          11 tonnes, 5 person crew, STANAG 4569 and plenty of variants too. Egyptian Army, GIGN in France and Kuwait seem to be the biggest users, and per unit cost for Kuwait looks to have been around $880k per unit.

          It would definitely be a contender.

          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

          Comment


          • #20
            I would say the Mowag Eagle and the Oshkosh JLTV are the only real contenders in today's market.
            To learn from past mistakes, the Army should only look at vehicles already in military service somewhere and with foreign military sales.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
              I would say the Mowag Eagle and the Oshkosh JLTV are the only real contenders in today's market.
              To learn from past mistakes, the Army should only look at vehicles already in military service somewhere and with foreign military sales.
              The only issue with the Eagle vs the Oshkosh is in numbers of hulls out there. Currently, only 4 nations are using them in Military service, the majority being the Germans Model IV and V 4x4's making up 671 of the 1061 hulls out there. The Oshkosh in EU orders alone equals that, with even the Belgians ordering recently instead of the Servals, which is surprising given their procurement of the VBMR Griffon and EBRC Jaguar.
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

              Comment


              • #22
                Not that it is in the LTAV conversation, but I have a massive grá for the Jackal Platform. Video on the Jackal 3

                By summer 2024 the first batch of 70 new High Mobility Transporter (HMT) Jackal 3 vehicles will be produced for the British Army by Babcock International Gro...


                For a light Cavalry Unit, I think they're a fantastic platform for recce and patrolling. Given that it is in use in UK Light Cavalry Regiments, regular and reserve, it deserves a call out.
                 
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                Comment


                • #23
                  People here seem to be too tied to the armoured cavalry concept, forgetting completely that the Cav Orbat of the 80s consisted of a mix of Armoured overwatch and soft skin recce vehicles. And motorcycles.
                  Its as if the current orbat was developed around the vehicles we have, or something....
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    A troop, or squadron of light vehicles like the Jackal would be a massive asset.

                    They deployed with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards to Mali as of late, but have a proven track record going back to Op Herrick. With a mounted .5, there's enough firepower and mobility to send fire down and break contact quickly.
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      a mix of MRV type and Jackel would be an intresting mix and you could possible intrgrate an amstar or simular ISTAR assit to the jackel HMT extenda MK 2 or wait to see the upgraded Jackel MK3

                      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        With everything we've see out of Ukraine an the proliferation of "cheap" UAVs/drones etc, is the open top of the Jackal a weakness compared to other vehicles?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                          With everything we've see out of Ukraine an the proliferation of "cheap" UAVs/drones etc, is the open top of the Jackal a weakness compared to other vehicles?
                          With everything we've seen in Ukraine, I'd say a roof, or turret hasn't proven to be much of a defence against ordinance being dropped from above.
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ODIN View Post

                            With everything we've seen in Ukraine, I'd say a roof, or turret hasn't proven to be much of a defence against ordinance being dropped from above.
                            Is against snow and rain though

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                              Not that it is in the LTAV conversation, but I have a massive grá for the Jackal Platform. Video on the Jackal 3

                              By summer 2024 the first batch of 70 new High Mobility Transporter (HMT) Jackal 3 vehicles will be produced for the British Army by Babcock International Gro...


                              For a light Cavalry Unit, I think they're a fantastic platform for recce and patrolling. Given that it is in use in UK Light Cavalry Regiments, regular and reserve, it deserves a call out.
                              Zero dismounts though

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by DeV View Post

                                Is against snow and rain though
                                Cavalry types are clearly a tougher breed DeV!
                                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X