Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpy
    replied
    Good man GTTC!!! Still laughing!! Oh, we'll make an episode of South Park yet! Badge us as the East Newcastle Flying Militia and they'll have to pay us rights...

Anyway, all joking aside. The whole EM free zone thing is a bit of a scare tactic. The aircraft put out more energy than the entire Don and the radar is defunct so the chances of an uncommanded launch are minimal. However as you rightly point out (whoever the hell it was) the butts are utilised for loading and arming, and that's as much as you can hope for. BTW, I plotted the straight line to my old house in Tallaght, and all I can say is I pity the guy living in No 17 Sundale Lawn now if it ever does go off and miss the butts!!!

Leave a comment:

• squigs
    Guest replied
    Great video Exo 1....shame its only been posted already and discussed for the majority of this thread!!

Leave a comment:

• Exo1
    replied
    Aer Corps Firing Exercise

Irish Air Corps PC9s firing .5 HMG and 2.75in rockets

Heres some footage I pulled from Utube..

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    Yeah, probably too good to be true(sigh)...maybe if a really dozy rocket-loader was to accidentally set off a round just as the Heavyweight Off-License Opener was to be calling in on the family and the stray round whooshed out of the pod to strike the petrol station, just as the official Merc was hurtling by....ONEHUNDREDANDEIGHTY!!!! Transfer that man to a Javelin unit, at once! Someone put in for a grant to have the smouldering remains of Rathcoole paved, overnight.Where's Mansfield when you need him? Jim, a thousand tons of your finest Portland, please.Just about where that blackened Merc is....
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    replied
    Sometimes, one can only dream....

Leave a comment:

• thebig C
    replied
    tower?

Unless it took out the tower first?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Rathcoole, and the Poitin still are above Baldonnel. Any Ballistic missile launched from the don would impact harmlessly into the dead ground around the runway threshold, releasing its cargo of daffodill petals safely into the atmosphere where they would quickly biodegrade.

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    He might not have sight of the butts, which used to be at what was known as the "Fouga" ramp.Anyway,I'd imagine the pods/aircraft are pointing out over the open airfield.If a stray flies off and blows up a bit of Rathcoole, well, silly of them to put it there in the first place!
    regards
    GttC
    Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
    Note to the people of Rathcoole:

The above comment, while completely true, does not necessarily mean that you are going to die in a hail of death and destruction from a rocket fired from the Don. Much more likely to have a Casa land in your sitting room. Just a thought.

GTTC, how unlike you! I'm shocked!!
    Methinks ye dont like rathcoole, what about the Poitín Still pub?Woudl that survive the blitz???
    Although it would allow for an expansion of the Nass dual carrigway!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    replied
    Note to the people of Rathcoole:

The above comment, while completely true, does not necessarily mean that you are going to die in a hail of death and destruction from a rocket fired from the Don. Much more likely to have a Casa land in your sitting room. Just a thought.

GTTC, how unlike you! I'm shocked!!

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    He might not have sight of the butts, which used to be at what was known as the "Fouga" ramp.Anyway,I'd imagine the pods/aircraft are pointing out over the open airfield.If a stray flies off and blows up a bit of Rathcoole, well, silly of them to put it there in the first place!
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• California Tanker
    replied
    Out of interest, this came back from another site.

I dunno, as a former Ordnanceman, I was alarmed by what I saw in the video.

They were loading 2.75" FFAR's into the pods right on the flightline. Not a great idea.

Best to load the rocket pods in the magazine area, in a EM-safe area, and then merely lift the pod itself up onto the locking lugs, and electrically connect the pod--and you do THAT at the Combat Aircraft Loading Area with the a/c pointed in a safe direction.
    Any comments? (Other than that Baldonnel is probably too small to have such zones)

NTM

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    As advertised on Irish mail on Sunday..but never credited.....

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    Originally posted by squigs View Post
    Hardly any fouga videos out there??

Leave a comment:

• squigs
    Guest replied
    Hardly any fouga videos out there??

Leave a comment:

• Slacker
    replied