Air Firing 139

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Firing 139

First air firing practices (as opposed to testing) concluded today in the 139 in the Glen. Most impressive. Should result in some spectacular demos in the future. Pics, I'm sure will be forthcoming over the next few weeks. As you can imagine, it's a bit difficult to get shots from the business end during live practice, so don't be disappointed, but what a change in capability! I certainly would not like to be on the recieving end.

Excellent news, looking forward to the pics. Without delving too deep into operational info was this single aircraft single gun firing or formation firing?

Comment

Single gun, multiple sorties, multiple engagement types. Lots of rounds as you can imagine. I believe, a standard burst is approx 50 rds. The final live practice was all tracer for a demo for the cameras, so I hope the shots came out well. Seeing the zone of the gun from the air was frightening and will add a different element to future live fire exercises and firepower demos. I know people say the 7.62 doesn't have the range for combat helicopter engagements, but it's plenty for domestic or possible PSO tasks, at least so far as I've seen. Comments anyone?

For anyone who hasn't checked Frank's board recently, the 139 slung a 105 gun the following day in the Curragh. Exceedingly impressive. They made it look easy, although I know it wasn't.

Comment

Its only a GPMG!
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Its only a GPMG!
          classic understatement

the GPMG is an awesome and reliable weapon,

what would you suggest then
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

hi hedge,
            I suggest his point is that seeing a light machine gun fired from a helicopter is less than awe-inspiring given that such sights are familiar to us all from television/film, or in some cases, real life. After all, if one has seen a Huey with at least two machine-guns and as much as six in action, then one out of a warmed-over distant relative of a Huey is small potatoes.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              Its only a GPMG!
              It's one more than what they had previously.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

was there not a competition for a new weapon at one stage? i believe they test fired a weapon on the range during the summer that was a possible replacement...

[MOD: If so, this is not the place to discuss it. Kindly start another thread on the topic if you wish to discuss it further]
                Last edited by Barry; 18 March 2007, 15:28.
                These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
                  It's one more than what they had previously.
                  Irish Air Corps - now with 100% more GPMGs!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    Irish Air Corps - now with 100% more GPMGs!
                    Haha brilliant!
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

what would you suggest then
                      you mean apart from a 30mm rapid fire cannon, Hellfire Anti-Tank missiles and CRV-7 unguided rockets....?

can't imagine

Comment

Originally posted by garv View Post
                        was there not a competition for a new weapon at one stage? i believe they test fired a weapon on the range during the summer that was a possible replacement...

[MOD: If so, this is not the place to discuss it. Kindly start another thread on the topic if you wish to discuss it further]

I dont think it was a new weapon, but the mount for the GPMG being tested on the range. Though I could be wrong
                        Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

airmobile artillery...

Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
                          Single gun, multiple sorties, multiple engagement types. Lots of rounds as you can imagine. I believe, a standard burst is approx 50 rds. The final live practice was all tracer for a demo for the cameras, so I hope the shots came out well. Seeing the zone of the gun from the air was frightening and will add a different element to future live fire exercises and firepower demos. I know people say the 7.62 doesn't have the range for combat helicopter engagements, but it's plenty for domestic or possible PSO tasks, at least so far as I've seen. Comments anyone?

For anyone who hasn't checked Frank's board recently, the 139 slung a 105 gun the following day in the Curragh. Exceedingly impressive. They made it look easy, although I know it wasn't.

It might not be as spectacular, but maybe slinging the 105 will turn out to be the more useful capability.

Comment

whats the going rate for a pod of rockets price wise?

Comment

when are the pics of the firing going to be posted
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X