Air Corps overseas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Corps overseas?

Air Corp don't and won't be going overseas.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Originally posted by Bam Bam
    Bull excrement i'm afraid...
    Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Seriously, it does seem to me as if there is a policy change happening in that area, probally best to wait and see, but definitly more helicopters would be required.
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

On Aer Corps going overseas is that just material and manpower, that cannot go or is it just material ????
        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Air Corp personnel have served overseas for a long time. AFAIK they mostly fill posts in HQ.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
            Air Corp personnel have served overseas for a long time. AFAIK they mostly fill posts in HQ.
            Cheers for the clarification!
            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

There were a few of them in the platoon that went to liberia from limerick in october. At least they were in the parade in limerick(that didn't eally happen due to the rain), Whether they went or not is another thing but i'm sure they did.
              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                When I said this on the other thread it was in relation to air corp assets.
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Many air Corps personall have served overseas on different UN missions, and no doubt will do so in the future. I know at least one who did so personaly, also there was an ex-Air Corps member, on Franks old board, who served with UNFIL and not, as far as I know, in a HQ role either.
                  As for the Irish Air Corps serving overseas as an air component, at the moment I think it is only marginaly possable, but it's best to wait and see what the future holds. Almost nothing is impossable, just throw money.
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Are there any UN piloting roles for AC pilots?
                    Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

I believe that if there is a heli deck on the blu/gree ship(if they get it)than it is definetly a posibility.
                      Also would we need weapond mounted on our helis in ireland.Apart from exercises how many hot lz's would the crews come across?Overseas maybe?
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Consider the mentality of the government and its investment in the df

These shiny new choppers are too expensive to put in harms way. Besides chopper support when abroad comes from other UN allies in the area

Comment

IAC aircraft won't be serving overseas - it Government policy as found in the White Paper on Defence. In order to allow this to happen at least a flight of aircraft - ie 3-5 aircraft, would be required overseas at any one them. We just don't have the resources (aircraft & personnel).

One of the roles of the new helicopters, as specified in the tendering documents, is training for overseas.

Helicopter / fixed wing units on UN mission are usually provided in a similar way, that Ireland provides an infantry unit. For example: the Italians provided a heicopter flight for UNIFIL and the Ukraine provides heavy list helicopters for UNMIL.

Comment

What about if irish pilots went overseas flying UN aircraft? Just like drivers went to Lebanon and drove the SISU. Do we have enough pilots to ensure that there would not be a shortage of pilots in Baldonnel? Surely this would give them more a better chance of going overseas instead of being stuck in administration roles
                            Last edited by Sandbag; 22 January 2006, 23:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandbag
                              What about if irish pilots went overseas flying UN aircraft? Just like drivers went to Lebanon and drove the SISU. Do we have enough pilots to ensure that there would not be a shortage of pilots in Baldonnel? Surely this would give them more a better chance of going overseas instead of being stuck in administration roles

Interesting.... 2 Sisu were bought to for driving familiarisation training prior to serving overseas..

If pilots were to serve abroad flying UN aircraft would the DF buy aircraft for familarisation training... would love to see it ... but

Comment

Working...
                              X