Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claudel Hopson
    replied
    Sorry lads forgot all about the C172 crash in Clonbalogue Co. Offaly.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Kearns
    replied
    Originally posted by Claudel Hopson View Post
    To Hptmurphy

To the best of my knowledge there were two fatalities in the SF260 in two separate accidents with two more A/C written off no fatalities , the four lads in the Dauphin in Tramore and two in Chipmunk C200 back in the 70's. I don't ever recall a fatality in any C172 in all the years I've been in the Air Corps. There have been a few very close calls but God smiled on those pilots on those days
    Fatal crsahes since the end of the Emergency;
    Master 1946 1 dead, Master 1949 3 crashes 3 dead, Seafire 1951 1 dead, Seafire 1953 1 dead, Provost 1957 2 crashes 3 dead, Dove 1961 2 dead+ 2 Dept of Transport officals, Chipmunk 1980 2 dead, Marchetti 1982 1 dead, Marchetti 1990 1 dead. Dauphin 1 crash 4 dead, FR172 2004 1 dead.
    I would say that it is a good record.

Leave a comment:

• Claudel Hopson
    replied
    To Hptmurphy

To the best of my knowledge there were two fatalities in the SF260 in two separate accidents with two more A/C written off no fatalities , the four lads in the Dauphin in Tramore and two in Chipmunk C200 back in the 70's. I don't ever recall a fatality in any C172 in all the years I've been in the Air Corps. There have been a few very close calls but God smiled on those pilots on those days

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    further to the Dove crash; there began a trend of writing off lost/stolen equipment, at the time,saying that it had been lost in the Dove crash, until one senior officer is alleged to have looked at the list of all the stuff supposedly aboard the Dove and ended the charade with the comment; "it was a Dove that crashed, not a ****ing Hercules!"
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Sorry Jectjock I'm not tryuing to be disparaging but the publication of records in relation to some of the crashes the AC had over the years seems to be in the least scant.

I enjoy reading these reports when it comes to civil aviation.. flying in Ireland has a good forum on the issue but I find the AC ones in the main to be glossed over and normally only brought to light when direct questions are asked.

there have many deaths in the DF that go unreprted or the investigations unpublished.. this I find to be a tad disturbing.

There are a couple of naval deaths which I would like to see the reports on but can't source them .

I wonder are these held back because of the families wishes or because the DF are slow to take a look in sid ethe skeleton cupboard.

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Just because the internet doesn't accept they haven't they happened .. spitfire crash...chap killed in a warrior guy killed in a C172 ..some of the crashes don't make headlines.
    Was not suggesting it didnt hpt, just interested in finding out more about the incident. It seems that the Air Corps have a very tight lipped attitude as regards making the causes of crashes public. This is unlike most other air arms in the world with the possible exception of China, Iran and North Korea! As a pilot I find it a very disappointing situation because the one good thing that comes out of a crash is that a published report allows others to ensure that mistakes made, whether they be mechanical or human, are not repeated by others in future. I regularly read accident reports, not to attribute blame, but to ensure I am aware of as many possible scenarios that can occur as possible, and the right and wrong courses of action to take. Keeping accident reports private only serves to protect reputations and allows no one else to learn from mistakes made. A sad situation really.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Just because the internet doesn't accept they haven't they happened .. spitfire crash...chap killed in a warrior guy killed in a C172 ..some of the crashes don't make headlines.

Leave a comment:

• romeo43
    replied
    comdt liddy,who i think is pictured in the provost thread,his father was tragically killed in an air accident whilst flying as stunt pilot for a movie.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    As an aside, how many fatalities have the Air Corps suffered? I know of one in Fermoy during the Emergency, or maybe after. Local papers had photo of pilots body (local man) being removed from the wreckage.

Leave a comment:

• Curragh Plains
    replied
    AP, thank you for correcting me on the facts of the Shannon crash. I did not research the incident and while I vaguely knew of the crash I had not realised that there were four fatalities. That was a very serious level of fatalities for the IAC and as some other posters have commented I know of no memorial or written recollection of those who perished ...

Leave a comment:

• Tony Kearns
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Are you sure it was Jim Liddy

It would seem strange 2 lads called Liddy were both killed in Air Crashes
    Sorry I do not understand your posting. I thought that I had explained it in my other postings
    Tony K

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Curragh Plains. One of the four Doves was involved in an accident while on calibration work at Shannon on 27January 1961. Four of the five on board were killed, the pilot Capt (later Comdt) Jim Liddy was the sole survivor.
    Tony K
    Are you sure it was Jim Liddy

Air Corps

Service to the State has been a family tradition for nearly a century. Michael’s great grandfather was involved in the founding of the State and fought in the Civil War. He became a TD in the First Dail. His grandfather became an Air Corps Pilot in 1941, and during the War and flew Spitfires and Vampire Jets for the Air Corps until his untimely death off Wicklow Head, in 1969. He had been flying as a stunt pilot for the Film ‘Darling Lily’.

Graham, Michael’s father, also had the flying bug and started glider flying at an early age and went on to become Ireland’s youngest ever glider instructor, at the age of 16. Throughout the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, Graham could been seen at all the Air Shows dazzling crowds with his powerful display flying and ultra low loops. Graham went on to serve with the Air Corps for 21 years and retired to join a newly formed Air Accident Investigation Unit, based in Dublin.
    It would seem strange 2 lads called Liddy were both killed in Air Crashes

Leave a comment:

• Tony Kearns
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    I tried an online search but there seems to be little info out there. Can you tell us more about the incident Tony, causes etc?
    Really do not want to go down that road here.
    GttC I have often wondered about that too. A possible explanation, two of the four killed were Air Corps, the co pilot and I believe an ATC officer. The other two were Dept of Transport trainees.
    Tony K

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    I tried an online search but there seems to be little info out there. Can you tell us more about the incident Tony, causes etc?

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi Tony
    If four died in this crash, why is so little heard of it? I knew it had happened but never got anyother details? Who were they? Why is there no memorial in the Don to them? Why was 248 touted as the Don's worst crash? Any pictures or leads to the incident?
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X