Helicopter Crewmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Crewmen

I believe that after many years of no outside intake, there will be a helicopter general purpose crewman course run this year. The course will be for private and corporal equivalents and applications must be recommended by the CO of the applicant's unit. Course details will be published in Routine Orders and the qualifying criteria will be set out there too.

Before anyone starts, this course will, as far as I know, be run for the same level of crewman as has previously been selected from non air corps personnel, and does not include gunnery as a module. Gunnery has not yet been finalised as a crewing discipline, although, selection for gunnery courses will obviously be dependant on personnel already being a qualified crewman, tech or otherwise.

Having experienced previous selection procedures and courses, it ain't easy, the learning curve is steep and the satisfaction rating is through the roof, even if the pass rate isn't. Physical fitness is a large part of the selection criteria, for those who think an engine will do all the hard work, as is medical suitability.

I believe medical training such as a first responders course is desirable, but not essential.

Other details will be available through unit orderly rooms, routine orders and DF publications in the not too distant future.

Enjoy!

Certainly, the calls of 'Forward seven, down a bit, and mind the branches' will be an entertaining if inaccurate change!

Were helicopter crewman in the past not wingman / winch operator? I've seen these courses advertised in the past for all (open to all PDF personnel.

I'm talking here about the period before all SAR was contracted out.

Comment

I know your all thinking about it

but dont want to ask

so I will save you the worry

- Is there any places on this course open to the RDF
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Were helicopter crewman in the past not wingman / winch operator? I've seen these courses advertised in the past for all (open to all PDF personnel.

I'm talking here about the period before all SAR was contracted out.
        Dope on a Rope???
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Dev, the answer is No.GP guys were often techies given the training so as to serve on the Border, with no specific SAR duty.They often flew VIP flights, too.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Sitting corrected

Comment

Working...
            X