Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Req : Air Corp Eyesight Question (Stigmatism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Look, just call the Aeromedical crowd.Dr Nathin is the main man there and will give you the correct gen.Don't fret if you don't get the Don.there's plenty of flying out there.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by Goose View Post
    But as the Irish military have based alot of stuff on the Brits I thought the possibility was there that the AC would do the same.
    As far as I've heard from many people (including some who have gone "across the water") it is heard to get into the DF than it is to get into HM forces (speaking generally!).

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    replied
    I do not see my inability to see in anything other than 2D as an incapacitating abnormality either, seeing as I've had no trouble with anything to do with spatial relations and can fly relatively well... but perhaps a medic does

Leave a comment:

• Goose
    replied
    Thanks for the replys,
    I could give the Mater a go as they might have a better idea of the AC tests. I know that it wouldn't affect me on the class 1 medical as I know of people who've gotten through it with an astigmatism. It seems to be just the military that are picky about it and even then it's only the RAF that i've heard of excluding candidates with it. But as the Irish military have based alot of stuff on the Brits I thought the possibility was there that the AC would do the same.

As far as I know you have to pass a 3-D vision test for the AC.

I can't see "incapacitating abnormality" covering an astigmatism as well its not incapacitating, I didn't know I had it, and it's quite common. I think the only reason the RAF exclude candidates with it is that it's another way to weed down numbers during selection.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    Why don't you contact the Aeromedical Centre at the Mater Private? They'll give you all the gen about Class 1 medical standards, which are close to, if not identical to, the AC requirements.That way, you'll be able to decide if you want to go civvie or mil or both? If you really are interested in flying, why confine it to the military?
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    replied
    Well, I fail it repeatedly but never fail my medical...

edit: I also failed it on the cadetship medical last year at the final interviews and still passed the medical overall so....

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Don't know, but I know even RDF recruits are being tested for it (for them at least, if they fail it, it doesn't mean not getting in).

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    It includes a test for stereo depth (3D vision).
    and this must be passed for AC?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
    I know it's a long shot but does anyone here know exactly what each part of the vision test is testing for and which parts are required to be passed for AC?
    It includes a test for stereo depth (3D vision).

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    You will find that the booklets are purposly very vague in relation to medical/vision standards. This is in order to give the examining MO the widest birth possible to make a call on a candidates medical fitness.

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    replied
    define incapacitating abnormality?

I know it's a long shot but does anyone here know exactly what each part of the vision test is testing for and which parts are required to be passed for AC?

Leave a comment:

• Goose
    replied
    Thanks for the quote DeV, still looking for my booklet but from the quote it still looks ok. Doesn't seem to rule out applicants with an astigmatism directly, from the way I read it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    b. Vision
    Eyesight must be surgically untreated and colour vision must be normal. Both eyes must be free from
    disfiguring or incapacitating abnormality and free from acute or chronic disease. There must be no evidence of squint or latent squint. Applicants who have had previous incisional or laser treatment to correct visual acuity are excluded from eligibility.
    Quote from Cadetship booklet

Leave a comment:

• Goose
    started a topic Req : Air Corp Eyesight Question (Stigmatism)

Req : Air Corp Eyesight Question (Stigmatism)

I've just had my eyesight checked and found out that everything is fine and healthy and I have 20/20 or 6/6 vision but I have a slight stigmatism. It generally isn't a big deal and in my case is small (-0.75) in a range from 0 to 4. Im just wondering does anybody know where that leaves me with the Air Corp requirements? I don't just have the cadet booklet to hand with the requirements but I don't remember it being specifically mentioned.

On other Air Forces requirements, I met an Airline pilot once who had tried to join the RAF but was refused because they found he had a stigmatism, so the RAF appears to be out. The USAF appear to be fine with it once its within certain limits. Just thought i'd ask in case anybody knew as I have to start deciding soon whether to wait for next years cadetship competitions or look now for civvie pilot training.
Working...
X