X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by The Blue Max View Post
    There going on strike this Monday or next Goldie?
    Last monday.

Leave a comment:

• sgt
    replied
    Originally posted by concussion View Post
    Flycatcher can be set up for air-control operations but has a limited range, the Giraffe is more powerful but I don't know it's capabilities. I reckon the systems would help but the crews wouldn't be properly trained in ATC ops and there's very little room in them for extra bodss I'm sure it wouldn't hurt by getting a few units out there and getting them working anyway, would be very good training for future operations.
    if its Transponder issues then neither the Flycatcher or Giraffe would be of any use to them. all that they will show is targets i.e. no identifiers, just blips on the screen.
    its a firmware issue apparently. the software was working fine.

Leave a comment:

• Connolly
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    It's going on for longer than that. It failed first about 5 weeks ago...
    I remember that, got delayed in Manchester for 5 hours... managed to get on the plane at midnight finally.

I thought the pilot was making excuses but apparently not...

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Sgt will know more, but I'd say that, given the availability of other airports it's very unlikely that they'd choose to rely on military radars and crews for such a huge undertaking. On the positive side it would be good training and great PR if there were a few units out there observing operations.

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    From the reports (from non tech type media) it sounds as if the radar was working but whatever equipment picks up transponder numbers wasn't.

Could Giraffe / Flycatcher help?
    Thats what the news yesterday said.

I some cases transponder info was not showing up on screens and in some cases incorrect transponder info and data was showing up.

They were saying that the problem was one of decoding, wethere this was from a software of firmware error they did not say
    Last edited by luchi; 11 July 2008, 13:37.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Flycatcher can be set up for air-control operations but has a limited range, the Giraffe is more powerful but I don't know it's capabilities. I reckon the systems would help but the crews wouldn't be properly trained in ATC ops and there's very little room in them for extra bodss I'm sure it wouldn't hurt by getting a few units out there and getting them working anyway, would be very good training for future operations.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    From the reports (from non tech type media) it sounds as if the radar was working but whatever equipment picks up transponder numbers wasn't.

Could Giraffe / Flycatcher help?

Leave a comment:

• The Blue Max
    replied
    There going on strike this Monday or next Goldie?

Leave a comment:

• Thorpe
    replied
    Heard that Cork is to have CAT III ILS on 17 runway installed and that it is being tested (which I can confirm heard it on the ATIS a few weeks back)

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Circusair! perhaps if they started paying decent wages, they might get things done!
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi there
    Ryanair have all of their own ground equipment, which is serviced and supplied by a third party.Ryanair personnel operate all of their own equipment. They do not depend on any other handling agent or airport supplier.I would not be surprised if they didn't have a ground air conditioning unit, as it would spend most of the year idle.
    regards
    GttC
    On a Completely unrelated matter, Servisair went on Strike in Dublin on Monday...

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    With the number of aircraft waiting for push back at DUB yesterday even one or two wouldn't have put a dent in it.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    Ryanair have all of their own ground equipment, which is serviced and supplied by a third party.Ryanair personnel operate all of their own equipment. They do not depend on any other handling agent or airport supplier.I would not be surprised if they didn't have a ground air conditioning unit, as it would spend most of the year idle.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    GTTC,

As you well know there is a charge for the use of such ground equipment, which is provided by the handling agent/airport and the airline in question doesn't like charges!

Also the way things were in DUB yesterday I would hazard a guess that such items were in short supply!

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    There's nothing preventing FR from supplying air conditioning from a ground vehicle.Also, some APUs are started in flight, during the approach, so as to have them on-line at parking time.Conversely, some APUs will not start in flight due to cold-soaking(ie; they're stone-cold and won't ignite/accelerate to starter drop-out).
    regards
    gttC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X