• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmtts
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    Heard that one too Pmtts!

Actually that guy was on the ground waiting for push back. He wanted to know his estimated departure time because he had no APU(in his words-probably a fuel preservation decision knowing the airline involved) and the pax were getting a bit hot! He was given a push back time for 1 hour later! A sweaty cabin by then!
    Ahhh many thanks. The static interference was quite bad so I could not pick up all the conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Heard that one too Pmtts!

Actually that guy was on the ground waiting for push back. He wanted to know his estimated departure time because he had no APU(in his words-probably a fuel preservation decision knowing the airline involved) and the pax were getting a bit hot! He was given a push back time for 1 hour later! A sweaty cabin by then!

It definitely wasn't in the air as the air con/pressurisation systems are supplied with power and bleed air from the engines when running and from the APU only when on the ground with the engines off. The APU will not be running(or in many cases startable) in flight. The only situation where you would see an APU running in-flight is after an engine failure and the ability to do this is only required on long haul ETOPS certified aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• pmtts
    replied
    I was listening to the live ATC link Jetjock provided yesterday.

A Ryanair pilot was eiger to land as I think he mentioned about a problem with the APU and the fact no air was being blown into the cabin!.

Leave a comment:

• Stinger
    replied
    in case of emergency would it be possible for airliners to land at baldonnell?

Leave a comment:

• The Blue Max
    replied
    Hi Guys

I was on duty yesterday for the whole ATC Disruption never seen anything like it but its is a compliment to the the DAA and airlines staff that worked tirelessly together so well under the stressful circumstances to assist passengers in the managment of situations. Fair play to all involved again.

BMax

Leave a comment:

• easyrider
    replied
    The TAF is forecasting an improvement over the next couple of hours:

EIDW 091615Z 091601 09013KT 3000 -RADZ SCT002 BKN005 TEMPO 1619 1500 RADZ BKN002 BECMG 1820 20008KT 9999 SCT007 BKN015

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    The radar appears to be online again. They are vectoring aircraft for approach now(turning them according to their radar position to establish on Instrument Landing System). Departures remain procedural(as per published routes using navigation aids such as VOR's, DME and ADF).

The current delays appear to be knock on from the earlier problem, now compounded by the low vis conditions, which require minimum separation of 15 miles between aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• easyrider
    replied
    "Statement from Irish Aviation Authority

The Irish Aviation Authority wishes to advise the travelling public that in the interest of safety, air traffic control at Dublin Airport has restricted its operations to 50 per cent of its capacity. This follows the discovery of a technical fault with the air traffic control radar system at Dublin Airport. The situation has been further exacerbated by the bad weather currently being experienced today at Dublin Airport.

The Irish Aviation Authority is currently investigating the matter and would hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

For safety reasons, the Authority has decided to restrict flights in and out of Dublin Airport, which will lead to unavoidable delays. Intending passengers should contact their airline for updated flight information.

The Irish Aviation Authority would like to apologise to anyone affected by this and is working to fix the fault so as to minimise delays. The Irish Aviation Authority will provide an update on the matter when further information is available."

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    I'm ment to be flying out friday morning, will it be fixed by then????(chews nalis)

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Know all about Cork Goldie! Shot many's an ILS in EI-CMT there while learning the ropes.Can be a lovely day at the Kinsale Road(Magic) Roundabout and you're in the soup once you get up the hill!

Cork only has CAT II ILS (used for lower visibility conditions) on the RWY 17 end. If theres a strong wind favouring 35, which only has a CAT I ILS, you're off to Shannon or Dublin for the duration of the bad weather.

I heard a rumour that 17 was being upgraded to CAT IIIC but I dont know what came of it. That would allow aircraft with the capability , to carry out full auto-landings, and solve some of the diversion problems

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Story of development in Ireland really. They were trying to reduce the distances the planes had to go to reach cruising alt...

Leave a comment:

• easyrider
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Fog is coming down in Cork at the moment. Last night many flights to Cork were being diverted to Dublin. As if they hadn't enough to do.

Can someone put up the "CLOSED" sign.
    Well when you build an airport on top of a hill.....

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Fog is coming down in Cork at the moment. Last night many flights to Cork were being diverted to Dublin. As if they hadn't enough to do.

Can someone put up the "CLOSED" sign.

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    To make matters worse......Current Dublin Met report:

METAR: EIDW 091530Z 09011KT 1200 R16/P1500 R28/P1500 R10/P1500 -DZ SCT001 BKN002 OVC003 14/14 Q1002 TEMPO 2000

Decoded that reads:

EIDW- Dublin Airport
    091530Z- Issued on the 9th at 15:30 Zulu time(16:30 local)
    09011kt- Wind 090 at 11 kts
    1200 Visibility 1200m - very low at 150kts
    R16/P1500 Runway Visual Range Rwy 16 plus 1500 meters
    R10/P1500 Runway Visual Range RWY 10 plus 1500 meters
    R28/P1500 Runway Visual Range RWY 20 plus 1500 meters
    -DZ Light Drizzle
    SCT001 Scattered Cloud at 100 feet, Scattered in aviation terms means 3 to 5 Oktas(eights) of the sky!
    BKN002 Broken Cloud at 200 feet,Broken Cloud is 5-7/8ths of the sky.
    OVC003 Overcast at 300 feet. 8/8ths.
    14/14 Temp 14/ Dew Point 14
    Q1002 QNH 1002 Millibars
    Tempo 2000 Temporary vis 2000m

I don't envy those guys today. The RWY 10 decision altitude(CAT II)-land or go around, is 100 feet. That just happens to be the height of the cloud base today.

Edit RVR's now down to 800m. Thats a 700m drop.
    Last edited by Jetjock; 9 July 2008, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Have a listen online to the ATC chaos at:

HERE

Scroll down and click on Dublin. I'm getting Approach, Ground, Tower and Clearance

The airport is down to LVP's (Low Visibility Procedures)...One aircraft on the move on the ground at any time........oh I can just imagine chaos. Crews(flight and cabin) will be running tight on duty hours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X