Dauphin landing gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dauphin landing gear question

Hi guys, Can anyone tell me why any time a dauphin was on a rescue mission the landing gear was down. I might be wrong but any time I remember seeing them flying around they always had it and also in any photos of them. Is there any reason for this?

check the report on the AAIU website

Comment

It's not there any more. The archive has not been working for some time. Any chance of a simple answer? Its something I noticed too.

Comment

Is it to provide some extra measure of safety in case there of mechanical failure while they're hovering? Or are they down all the time?
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Comment

Thank you. Had been looking for that for a while.

Comment

I just scanned through the findings, causes and safety recommendations and couldn't find anything. Did anyone else spot something or would it be contained elsewhere?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

My memory from reading the report long ago, The landing lights come on when the landing gear is down.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I read the report,always wanted to read it but I didn't see anything about why the landing gear is down in flight. I'm 100% sure the gear would down when in hover and 75% sure it was down in flight.

Both concussion and goldie fish, you both have good points there.

If gear was down all the time in flight I guess this would use a good bit more fuel then if the gear was up.

Comment

The gear would have been down when in Hover or during approach. Not during normal flight.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well what looked like flight might just be it late putting up the gear, but her hovering with winchman hanging off it is fine but the gear down in a photo just make the helicopter look a bit gay but i'm sure the air corps good reason for it to be down

Comment

The Dauphin was on approach so that is probably why the gear was down. Any time I every saw winching operations (in person / in photos) the gear was down.

Comment

The Dauphin had a Gear warning system based on Rad Alt height and airspeed. If below both limits a warning light and siern came on. The only way to stop it is to put the gear down or take out the CBs.
                          This meant that at all times at low speed and height the gear would be down. The exception to this was night winching over the sea. If the gear was left down the lights cast a shadow from the nose wheel like 'mickey mouse ears' in the P1s visual area. During approach to these scenarios the CBs were taken out and put back in (mostly!) on the climb out.

Comment

Thanks Tadpole...makes sense.

Comment

it makes a lot of sense Tadpole

how do you know this
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X