No announcement yet.

Air Corps chopper got in to difficulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw a '139 passing over(Nth Tipp) heading towards Dublin. Didnt look like it was missing a door!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      That'll teach him for wasting scarce DF assets when a commercial flight to Farranfore was just as feasable.
      3 flights there and back daily. No excuse!

I do also think its a waste of assets.

Comment

Some radio listener too Today FM sent in a text to Matt Cooper,

saying he was astonished that Aer Corp Helicopters had 3 staff on board.

Pilot, Co-Pilot, and Waiter?

Pilot and 2 Waiters?

3 Waiters, two of which are qualified to pilot a chopper?

Connaught Stranger

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post

Pilot and 2 Waiters?

Connaught Stranger
          Cooper is a moron anyway.....
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
            Also - why is a military helicopter necessary to move a Minister and his staff from Kerry to Dublin? I've no objection to them being used if there is some kind of time pressure, or if the Minister is urgently required elsewhere, but today is a Monday - the Dail is not in session, and the cabinet is probably not meeting until tomorrow.
            :confused::confused::confused:

What planet are you living on???

You don't expect them to actually use the roads like every other person???

I mean, Willie has to have somewhere to put his shopping and someone to carry it for him on his regular shopping trips to Dublin!!!

Silly Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post

Pilot and 2 Waiters?

Connaught Stranger
              I heard that and took it to mean that the expense of the heli + 3 Air corps personel not why are there 3. Pilot, co-pilot and crew man. Any time I've delt with them there has always been 3 in any of the choppers.

Comment

And isn't the crewman there to stop people f***ing with the doors?
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

may have been a failed attempt to reshuffel the cabinet.

Comment

Minister escapes injury as door falls off helicopter

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen was fortunate to avoid serious injury this afternoon when the door of a helicopter in which he was travelling came off 500 feet over Killarney National Park. The Air Corps helicopter was bringing the minister and one of his officials back to Dublin from an Irish Hotels Federation conference in Co Kerry when it was forced to make an emergency landing at a helicopter pad at Killarney Golf & Fishing Club.

It had been in the air for less than three minutes when the main door on the left hand side came loose and fell to the ground. According to a Defence Forces statement, the two passengers and three crew are safe and well.

In a statement this evening Mr Cullen said he wanted to thank the helicopter's crew for thiers professionalism and calmness. "I wish to extend my sincere thanks to the Air Corps AW 139 crew members, Captain Lee Brennan, Lieutenant Oisín McGrath and Airman Patrick Mahon for their professionalism and calmness this afternoon. The crew were exceptionally efficient and acted superbly. Full credit should be given to them for their outstanding skill," he said. "At all stages the situation was under control and it is a testament to their utter professionalism as airmen." We are well served by our Air Corps personnel," he added.

Another helicopter was diverted from Cork to bring the minister back to Dublin this evening. The aircraft, an AW 139, will remain grounded until technicians from Air Corps HQ at Baldonnel examine it on the ground. The helicopter had brought Mr Cullen from Waterford to Killarney this morning and while it can fly with its doors open under certain speeds, this is normally in military and winching roles.

The Minster for Defence, Willie O'Dea, and the Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley have been fully updated on the situation and will be receiving a report on the incident in due course.
                    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking58.htm
                    You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

I'd pay money to see a film of Cullen's face when it got windy all of a sudden.bet they had to break out the emergency corduroys Ah, well, glad to see the ancient tradition of dropping doors off AC choppers is being kept up by the new generation....
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Was Monica with him
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Yeah I've been in one of them with the door open at a hundred feet and as much as I enjoyed it's a bit off putting and I knew it was about to happen!

Comment

Don't the taxpayers pay for the minister to have a chauffeured car? Or is the driver only part time?! Get ministers out of aircraft except when ACTUALLY neccessary (read, overseas trips). Now there's a big saving!
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Ministers get a car and garda driver.

Junior ministers get a car and civilian driver.

TDs & senators get expenses and can hire a driver.
                              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

So why couldn't he use his car c/w garda driver? Not good enough for him? So give back the car....
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Working...
                                X