No announcement yet.

Air Corps chopper got in to difficulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He had business in Kerry and then had business in Dublin.

It was more practical to use the helicopter instead of spending hours on the road.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Very sorry but "more practical" doesn't hold up when the country is up shit creek and can't balance the budget. Cheapest way wins. And if that makes the timing impossible, video conferencing anyone?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Probably Cullen slid the door open to have a sly smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
          Very sorry but "more practical" doesn't hold up when the country is up shit creek and can't balance the budget. Cheapest way wins. And if that makes the timing impossible, video conferencing anyone?
          That logic makes no sense, you might as well say that he could walk it.

Whether or not the country is in recession the government still has to function.

I've done video conferences and to be honest face to face meetings create a much better impression and more work can be accomplished.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

You now realise that the next person to so much as fidget in a helcopter is going to get severe hassle.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
              I am in tital agreement with JNS here on this one

he is the Minister for Arts Sports and Tourism

his meetings with various groups would never be deemed as life threatning

why doesnt he get a big diary and say - nope cant do that as I am down the Country
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                I'd pay money to see a film of Cullen's face when it got windy all of a sudden.bet they had to break out the emergency corduroys Ah, well, glad to see the ancient tradition of dropping doors off AC choppers is being kept up by the new generation....
                regards
                GttC
                so it happened before.... if someone finds the door will they get a reward...

Comment

Hi there
                  On the Alouettes, there was a prominent notice near the sliding door to warn the crewman about opening and closing the door, specifically to prevent the thing coming off the rail and falling off. Certainly, in my time, it happened at least twice, that I know about. Everyone who has ever served in or around them knew about it.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Thankfully the door did not cause any casualties on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      I am in tital agreement with JNS here on this one

he is the Minister for Arts Sports and Tourism

his meetings with various groups would never be deemed as life threatning

why doesnt he get a big diary and say - nope cant do that as I am down the Country
                      +1

Irish Independent 03/03/2009

Cullen scare as chopper door blows off in mid-air

Tuesday March 03 2009

TOURISM Minister Martin Cullen was at the centre of a mid-air drama yesterday after the door blew off the Air Corps helicopter he was travelling in.

An inquiry was under way last night after the incident, which happened 500ft over Killarney National Park.

The helicopter was forced into an emergency landing after the dramatic incident but there were no injuries to the three crew members and two passengers on board at the time.

The AW 139 utility helicopter Mr Cullen was using is one of a batch of six delivered to the Air Corps at a cost of €75m, and was only handed over by the manufacturers last July.

Yesterday it was being used to ferry Mr Cullen and one of his officials around.

Manned by three crew members, it carried the former transport minister from his native Waterford to Killarney yesterday morning for the Irish Hotels' Federation conference. It had been due to bring him back to Dublin afterwards but, just three minutes after take- off, the door fell off.

"At 3.30pm an Air Corps AW 139 helicopter carrying Tourism Minister Martin Cullen plus one of his officials made a precautionary landing at the helicopter pad at Killarney Golf & Fishing Club," a Defence Forces spokesman said.

"This followed the loss -- at a height of 500ft -- of the port main door of the helicopter approximately three minutes after take off from Killarney racecourse."

Shaken

It is understood that the two passengers were sitting on the port side of the helicopter, and several onlookers reported that the minister appeared quite shaken when he disembarked.

However, another AW139 was diverted from Cork to bring him to Dublin later last night.

Both Defence Minister Willie O'Dea and Defence Forces Chief of Staff, Lt Gen Dermot Earley, were being briefed on both the incident and the air safety investigation, while the first helicopter remained grounded.

Mr Cullen paid tribute to the crew, Captain Lee Brennan, Lieutenant Oisín McGrath and Airman Patrick Mahon.

He said: "At all stages the situation was under control, and it is a testament to their utter professionalism as airmen."

A short time earlier, the tourism minister had told journalists at the IHF meeting in Killarney that he plans to travel business or first class when he goes away for St Patrick's Day, despite the downturn.

"I'll be travelling internationally and Ryanair don't fly where I'll be going to," he said. Mr Cullen stressed the benefit of St Patrick's Day trips, saying they offered "an opportunity that is the envy of everyone" all over the world. Mr Cullen's travels also made the headlines last month when it emerged that he and three officials ran up a staggering €67,000 bill during a three-week trip to Beijing for the Olympic Games last summer.

- Ralph Riegel and Tom Brady
                      http://www.independent.ie/national-n...6.html?start=1

One is not enough - he needs two!
                      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                        Thankfully the door did not cause any casualties on the ground.
                        a big red deer was probably flattened by the door in the national park

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                          a big red deer was probably flattened by the door in the national park
                          Or a big brand new eagle

Comment

Joe "Jerry Springer" Duffy got a hold of this today. Had some guy on complaing that the AW139 was disturbing the peace illegally by buzzing around killarney national park for an hour or 2 before the door fell off.

Comment

you actually listened to duffy

Comment

Nah I was just somewhere where it was on.

Comment

Working...
                                X