Air Corps chopper got in to difficulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    VIP Transport was one of the roles mentioned in the RFT alright, but it would make more economic sense to use an EC135. There may not have been one available. Matt Cooper did make a good point yesterday-maybe the AW139 could have been flying in a training role anyway and it was doubled up with the job of Mats. It could have been flying around empty otherwise. We dont know.
    I checked:
    Four (4) new twin-engine, utility military helicopters (with an option for two (2) additional utility military helicopters) which will be operated by the Irish Air Corps in a general purpose military operational and training role. The helicopters should be available for delivery at the earliest possible date. Primary taskings for the utility helicopter include:-
    • a. Training and operations with Special Forces
    • b. Security and aid to the civil power
    • c. Reconnaissance team deployment and support
    • d. Military exercises and manoeuvres and pre-manoeuvre training
    • e. Infantry interoperability training
    • f. Casevac
    • g. Limited airlift, troop transport (up to eight equipped troops) and logistical support.

The helicopters will also be required to perform the following tasks:-
    • a. Air Ambulance
    • b. Aid to the civil community
    • c. VIP transport

The helicopters will also be required to perform a significant amount of Air Corps training roles including:-

a. Conversion training
    b. Winching and inland SAR training and operations.
    c. Night Vision Equipment (NVE) development and operations.
    VIP Transport is an awful long way down the list.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

So, are we agreed, ministers should only be on board if they carry the GPMG?
      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

this is shite no minister should be flying the Air Corpse choppers, thats the job of a piloot. no wonder he forgot to put on the door
        Why is this still being tolerated?
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

havent read all the post but werent the 139's grounded for a few days due to problems with the doors,,a mate in the PCM told me,, they might have just suspended jumps instead but the doors hav being given trouble since day one

Comment

The 139's were pretty busy in the days running up to this event from my anecdotal observations.

I'd be wondering whether all the work they've been doing (presumably flinging troops out) has taken its toll on the airframe. The doors probably get a good few thumps.

From what I've read the 139 has a lot of power, so if this problem can be fixed with some meatier fittings it should be possible to implement.

Tell you what Cullen, you can have them as taxis, just give the AC a dozen Cougars and this wont happen again

Comment

I did a "helicopter course " once in Gormonstown, sat in a landrover pretending it wasa chopper etc etc one day a chopper arrived and we jumped in and out, had to go to Africa to actually fly in one. Just imagine how disappointed the guys in Cork were,, f--- bj4536u politicians just jolly riding and no idea of service

Comment

Joe Populist Duffy, was whipping up, sorry I mean, chairing a discussion on the helicopters/role of the Air Corps.

I mercifully only caught the tail end, where a retired AC member made a concise well spoken argument in their defence.

The knives are out, idiotic ill thought out populist decisions await.

Comment

As you can see from the list above, they covered all bases(and asses) when they decided the roles for the helicopters, short of flying to the Moon or from the deck of a naval vessel.In other words, an Air Corps aircraft shall be all things to all men and is immune to criticism by default.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                    Joe Populist Duffy, was whipping up, sorry I mean, chairing a discussion on the helicopters/role of the Air Corps.

I mercifully only caught the tail end, where a retired AC member made a concise well spoken argument in their defence.

The knives are out, idiotic ill thought out populist decisions await.
                    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/p...s-liveline.mp3

Comment

Joe Duffy. I shall leave my feelings on his program private, HOWEVER, some of the people that ring in are EXTREMELY hostile with agendas of their own. I'd personally like to see the 'photographs' of the low flying alleged. I'm willing to bet that they either don't exist or that they do not show a helicopter engaged in flight other than approach or departure.

Honestly some people have too much time on their hands.

Comment

One of the 139's was over Letterkenny a few days ago, doing practice approaches to the Helipad at the hospital, thats what i gathered anyway and the week before a 135 was doing the same,anyhu on leaving the area both id guesstimate didnt fly under 500foot.

Comment

IMHO Ken Foxe reads IMO!!!!

Comment

" Don't press the RED BUTTON Dougal!!!!!"
                            Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

It would be great if it turned out it was Cullen that did it.

Comment

Nearly one less fianna Fail minister.

Investigator.....'And Mr Groundhog ..where were you when Minister Cullen tragically did(n't) fall out of the helo in question..?.'

GH...'Certainly wasn't in bleeding helo as I was in Fort Davis waiting to get a lift in the ****ing thing!'
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X