No announcement yet.

Air Corps chopper got in to difficulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have thought anyone boarding the chopper would be given a 2 minute safety briefing consisting of:

Don't dance in the back
    Don't poke the pilots
    Try to avoid the use of flamethrowers
    Oh and don't hit the red handle in flight for christ sake

Anyway.

Comment

because of what I'm about to say I hope it wasn't a DF person that did it but...

this is what you get when you put people in helicopters that shouldn't be there

for the sake of safety (and the public coffers), ministerial air transport should be done away with entirely. Sell the government jets, too, they can take a scheduled flight if they need to fly.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

I heard about the Tribune article, but it is not accurate. For one thing, the door handle opens up, not down and you have to push a small button to get the handle up any way and it is very unlikely that a passenger would get away with fiddling under the watchful gaze of the crewman. As with any incident of this nature, we'll just have to wait for the report, but I believe that procedures are in place to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Crews have been made aware of the issues and all necessary training has been given. Still, the technical issues may require some input by Agusta, it will be interesting to see what they say. I'm just glad that they didn't end up like the lynx crew.

I believe that MATS missions for the helicopters have dropped off recently. Whether that is because they have all been too busy working on the economy recently or are too afraid to use the aircraft I don't know. More time for the boys in green can't be a bad thing!

Comment

this is what you get when you put people in helicopters that shouldn't be there

Why? Most people bar army who have been briefed on heliops could be counted as 'shouldn't be there'

I've had hypothermic victims in the back of a helicopter fight the crew. I've had kids in helicopters release the belt and try to dance. I've had my arm held by a patient on sedatives while flying. I've had a 90 year old great grandmother latch on to me on the way into a landing site while flying. I've never had a passenger that affected the safety of a flight. In all cases, the reaction of the crew is tailored to the incident. On approach or landing the incident is paramount, resulting in an aborted landing and time to take stock of what has happened. Otherwise, it's just another of those 'unexpected' things that happens.

Why should a member of the government not utilise a state asset to enhance his or her efficiency, especially now that we need every hour that they can stay awake? Cost of the aircraft....less than ten grand. Cost of the decisions that they have to be there to make.... in the millions, to the good or to the bad. Lets retain a sense of perspective, unlike Mr Duffy and Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
            Why? Most people bar army who have been briefed on heliops could be counted as 'shouldn't be there'

Why should a member of the government not utilise a state asset to enhance his or her efficiency, especially now that we need every hour that they can stay awake? Cost of the aircraft....less than ten grand. Cost of the decisions that they have to be there to make.... in the millions, to the good or to the bad. Lets retain a sense of perspective, unlike Mr Duffy and Co.
            I was proposing it, in a roundabout manner, as a reason why ministers could be kicked out of helicopters (now of COURSE I don't mean that literally...)

Why do I feel this way? They get cars at the taxpayers' expense. Using a helicopter as a taxi is not economical.

BUT this has already been debated to death
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Maybe your right

but in this circumstances it was the minister for tourism

coming from addressing a hoteliers convention

to Sublin to go to a sub sub cabinet meeting

hardly vital affairs of state
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

again nothing that a good **** wouldn't sort out resort to PMs my arse..bodily fluids need exchanging here now....please get on with it ....for the sanity of the rest of us

I don't even want pictures!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I am sick to the pit of my stomach!

After all the Air Corps hard work and tax payers money spent practising their new 101 display routine Salthill isnt going ahead!!

Comment

Maybe the Air Corp should look into implementing something along these lines

Comment

Hi all
                      Scorpy, even people who know better do stupid things once they board aircraft. I saw the following occur in the Don: tech sets off fire bottles in King Air; SAR crewman triggers liferaft inside Al.III(a repeat event!), pilot triggers parachute inside SF260; pilot triggers parachute getting out of Fouga; crewman drops Al.III door on ramp(a repeat event) and many, many others, so preventing stupid mistakes is difficult, even wth trained people.What happened with the Agusta, was, in the great scheme of things, stupid, avoidable and a great lesson for a lot of people.I bet it'll happen again.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Touché!

No you are dead right. I've seen many of those myself. No accounting for the possibilities of stupidity coupled with complacency, huh. We call it confidence through ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
                          He also had his state car drive to Killarney to pick him up from the chopper and drive him the mile or so to the Hotel Federation meeeting, take him back to the chopper. It then headed back off to Dublin. Thats is a disgrace as well.

Comment

Defence Forces Equipment.

56. Deputy Peter Kelly asked the Minister for Defence if he has received a final report into an incident involving an Air Corps helicopter in Killarney, County Kerry on 2 March 2009; the findings of that report; if the report confirms or refutes a newspaper story (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24575/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): The final report into the incident involving the Air Corps helicopter AW139 on 2 March 2009 was provided to me by General Officer Commanding Air Corps on 11 June 2009.

The final report was compiled following a detailed investigation into the incident by the Air Corps Military Airworthiness Authority. The investigation included interviews with the crew and passengers of the aircraft. The aircraft was fit for flight, and was crewed by a fully authorised and qualified flight crew.

The investigation determined that the left hand cabin door was not properly closed and locked following the last opening on the ground prior to the incident flight.

There is no suggestion in the report that the aircraft passengers were in any way responsible for this incident.
                            "We don't know who's fault it was, but it definitely wasnt the minister or his secretary, even though it was someone on the aircraft who was at fault.."
                            What a langball.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Shift the blame onto some nameless airman. Couldn't have been a minister who was in any case abusing ministerial privilages while the rest of the country struggled to pay the rent/mortgage. No way. Methinks someone had a Dougal big red button moment.

Your Peoples Republic of Cork phraseology sums it up better than any prose I could hope to muster.

Comment

And th ebest thing is, it gets past most swearword filters.

Fiddle O Dea= Langball.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X