Spotted on boards.ie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted on boards.ie

Just spotted this on boards.ie anyone able to confirm?

'C253' declares Pan Pan
    Irish Air Corps Casa with number 1 engine fire declared pan pan to Baldonnel at about 14.25, landed safe runway 11 at 14.32

If it's a "Pan,Pan", then it's not a full-scale emergency and is probably just a precautionary landing.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Confirmed.

Comment

Not having the details of what happened but I am guessing they issued a pan pan after they managed to put out the fire and returned on one engine. Does anyone know what the Casas are like for single engine flying?

(and yes I know the trimming can be adjusted etc)

Comment

Pan Pan ?
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Pan Pan ?
            one step down from Mayday IIRC

Comment

what does it stand for
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

One step up from Securite securite.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  what does it stand for
                  Don't think it stands for anything as such, but is an internationally recognised codeword for ' I'm in difficulties, but its not an emergency ' or something like that.

Used for example by a broken down boat looking for a tow.

Goldie ? Does that sound right ?
                  'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

The Casa in the configuration the Irish Air Corps have is more then adquate on one engin, no futher comments until we have more detail please.
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Rein yer neck in,Turkey.
                      They made it in one piece, it didn't reach the level of an emergency, no one was hurt, probably no damage to the aircraft. Move on...........Such events are quite common in aviation, but rarely make the press as casualties are rare and the event is usually handled by the crew without fuss. A friend of mine, who flew turbos for a well-known Irish airline, had an engine fail in flight. He was surprised by how little fuss was made of it by the Captain,(having expected a bigger deal to be made of it) who simply shut down the affected engine, notified the ATC and continued to their destination. The passengers were informed but no-one flapped and all went well...The Casa, like all turbos, would be certified as being capable of single-engine flight throughout all phases of flight; ie, takeoff, cruise and landing, in complete safety.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Canner hit the nail on the head. An engine failure is such a rare occurance that the second one failing is almost an impossibility-assuming of course that it was a mechanical failure.Fuel/Birds/Ice/Volcanic Ash etc are a different kettle of fish.

Re Pan Pan Vs Mayday

Pan Pan: Urgency is required, but the flight is not in imminemt danger. Such would be the case if there was an engine failure and the situation is under control. Also used for a medical emergency.

Mayday: The aircraft is in imminent danger.

Re Single engine characteristics: The aircraft would not be certified without being adequately capable on a single engine.

By the way, the aircraft in the Irish "configuration" as mentioned above have a greater basic empty weight than a standard aircraft due to mission equipment and I'm quite sure that with a full fuel load to guarantee max endurance are tipping their max take off weight-so I dont see the reasoning why they should be any healthier than a standard model on a single engine that doesnt have the mission kit.

Certification requirements guarantee a minimum level of performance all the way up to max weight in any case.
                        Last edited by Jetjock; 4 July 2009, 01:58.

Comment

No problem, I am aware that all aircrafts now [as in about the last 50 or so years] must preform correctly on one engin, I was stressing the point for the more histerical here and on boards.ie.
                          Since I have not heard about this incident from my usual sources, I assume [always unwise] that the event was of such low level of importance to have slipped below their radar, [am currently not paying much attention to the regular news media, due to current personall activities].
                          Having said that I usually react very badly to anything on boards.ie as I always feel the need to head straight to the [decontamination] shower following any visit there..
                          Apoligies all around......
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

No sweat.Don't you know that if the Don could talk it up, they would
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Working...
                            X