Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Information On How To become a winchman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information On How To become a winchman?

Hi, Wondering if anybody can give me some good advice on becoming a winchman. going to be finishing my apprenticeship as HGV Mechanic at end of the year. But when i do i want to become a winchman. I'v try get information from air corps but not recruiting till2010. Wondering is any other road can go down. If any1 can post some informaion most greatful. Cheers!

Originally posted by mike1986 View Post
    going to be finishing my apprenticeship as HGV Mechanic at end of the year.
    In the DF ???

Vancanies for crewmen are advertised internally, so if you aren't in the DF you won't get it.

Not sure if the Air Corps even has winchmen any more since SAR is contracted out.

Comment

There was a crewman course ran last year which was open to all branches of DF. The course isnt the same as SAR anymore, you are more of a general purpose crewman although they still practice winching afaik. Last time i asked I was told there wouldnt be another course for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
        There was a crewman course ran last year which was open to all branches of DF. The course isnt the same as SAR anymore, you are more of a general purpose crewman although they still practice winching afaik. Last time i asked I was told there wouldnt be another course for a few years.
        By all branches, do you mean PDF and RDF?
        Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          In the DF ???
          Not sure if the Air Corps even has winchmen any more since SAR is contracted out.
          The 135s and 139 are all able to be equipped with a winch for casualty extraction so there must be winch operator's and winchmen to operate them...

Comment

Hi there
            Why don't you get some time under your belt, post apprenticeship first? An employer would be pissed off if they'd trained you to be a HGV man and then you turn around and want to be a winch-op??!! Failing that, write to CHC and see what quals they want.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

CHC recently took on Qualified paramedics to train as winchmen.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

they have done this a few times now. phecc registered paramedic is one of the pre-conditions. their selection seems to be pretty similar to the old AC SAR winchman selection process. maybe some of the ex AC could fill in the spaces for that one.

only take on small number though and infrequently. approx 20% pass rate through selection process usually.
                Last edited by X-RayOne; 22 July 2009, 13:10.
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

A very high percentage are ex-AC/RN/RAF

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
                    By all branches, do you mean PDF and RDF?
                    By all branches I mean air corps/army/navy. I dont think there would be much of a requirement for RDF winchmen!

A friend of mine is currently doing an emt course with a private company with the hope of getting a SAR job with CHC. Its a tough selection afaik

Comment

why not have RDF winchmen or at least RDF GP crew
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

By all branches I mean air corps/army/navy. I dont think there would be much of a requirement for RDF winchmen!

A friend of mine is currently doing an emt course with a private company with the hope of getting a SAR job with CHC. Its a tough selection afaik
                        Thats a very very long shot, given that the requirement is for all Helis to Provide Paramedic level care, not just EMT.

Given the range of operations involved, an EMT would not be sufficient to stabilise some of the injuries encountered, given that in many cases you could expect to arrive at a proper hospital an hour or more after first assessing the casualty.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

hi spud looking do something same as your friend any info more can send be most greatful cheers!

Comment

Minimum standard required is PHECC registered Paramedic. Also. why not Reserve Winchmen???
                            Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
                              Minimum standard required is PHECC registered Paramedic. Also. why not Reserve Winchmen???
                              Because there is NO Reserve AC

so no reserve winchmen
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X