Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are Air Corps Aircraft used for on day to day basis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Jetjock
    Commandant

• Jetjock
    replied
    Sorry to be pedantic but can the thread title be edited to correctly spell Air Corps?!

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    Some dodgy geezer

• Scorpy
    replied
    http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=ga...?v=59318139086

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKpAq-RTZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMU6_pGiS8

Hope those work.

Just a small part of everything.

Leave a comment:

• pilatus
    Recruit

• pilatus
    replied
    Well to answer the title of this thread, i can say the air corps is very much active in Donegal over the last few days in support of the current excercises being carried out by the 4th western brigade in Gartan.AW139's having been buzzing all over the place, and yesterday a 3 ship of 139's flying line astern of each other went straight over Letterkenny at a few hundred foot and i was kicking myself i had no camera, fantastic sight.Though im bringing my camera with me to work tomorrow and might even drive out for an hour to see what all the commotion is about!

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    Gunner

• concussion
    replied
    Seems someone was watching this thread

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....8139086&ref=mf

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    Banned User

• BANDIT
    replied
    wEll said Tadpole, also save money on those ridiculous blue busman uniforms

Leave a comment:

• DublinPilot
    Private 2*

• DublinPilot
    replied
    Hi Gttc,

I never understood myself why they bothered going to the expenditure of laying down a tarmac runway at Gormanston in the first place only for flying there to be discontinued several years later...also wonder why they did not continue to use it even for student nav-exs, plenty of airfields around the world that are uncontrolled with lesser facilities that serve similar purposes, seems a waste of a resource.

Out of interest was it ever used for night ops? Recall reading somewhere in the Irish AIP about lighting there...

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there,
    Given how difficult it was for the Don to "mentally" close Gormo and move it's incumbents to the Don (it was mooted more than once and was always evaded), then the very logical idea of a move to Shannon would also be resisted.They would put up every kind of reason not to, such as the impact on families that would have to move,etc and the alleged logistics difficulty involved (none really but they'd make a big deal of it) and they would waste huge funds on going back and forth, etc ,etc until the idea ran out of steam. The Army had lots of it's barracks closed and managed to survive, so the Don would just have to suck it up and make it work....
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    Been watching an AW139 perform some pretty cool low level flights in support of excercise troops today from work. Nice show. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• FougaM
    Corporal

• FougaM
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    I always thought we should get rid of all fixed wing aircraft in the AC and simply use Helicopters

this would mean that the long range MATS capability is gone (huraah)

if all the AC's budget was concentrated on Helis it would simplfy a lot-

I know the disadvantages of this si we would have to farm out the initial wings course
    but that happened before with the white Marcetti's
    and we would lose the CASA element as well.
    There is a glut of pilots in the aviation industry, so why not hire the best and retrain them for our aircraft. its not like we are training them for operational duty in Afghanistan.

If we were a rotary wing fleet only, then there is no need for fixed wing training.

Leave a comment:

• Fouga
    Moderated

• Fouga
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetjock View Post

It has a second crossfield runway, still listed as active but in reality never used these days. At 1720m and with servisable precision approach lighting system, with a simple resurface it is more than capable of handling up to C-130 size and even C-17.
    Dont forget C-17 Globemaster 3´s are a VERY regular sight at EINN these days and it can and has comfortably taken A-10´s, F-16´s, and AN124´s.

Leave a comment:

• Tadpole
    Sergeant Major

• Tadpole
    replied
    The AC is a BIG organisation...... for what it does!!! If it requires splitting up to make it more efficent then do so, dont make wishy washy excuses. There are organisations in this country a tenth of its size, with five times the number of bases producing over a third of its flight hours with less then a quarter of its aircraft numbers.

As for Shannon Vs Dublin move the training areas to less congested airspace, move the Casa closer to its primary patrol area and put the Air Ambulance beside the patients who need the help quickley not an hour away beside the destination or admit it dosent work leaving 2 choices:

1. Rip it apart and start again with a proper ethos. For a start put the helis under Army control!

2. If the Corps are unwilling or due to the 'Elephant syndrome' dont change close it down and give the operations to people you can control, through their pockets! Lets face it if this happened most of the Don would just change uniform and come back to work as a civiy!

WRT 2 above, barring some minor changes to legisaltion for the Garda op what current role could civies not do? And please dont say troop training, thats just getting in and out of helicopters with the odd bit of rope work.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Baldonnel is nearer the restricted training airspace, nearer the major hospitals for air ambulance (national & international mission), nearer Government Buildings for MATS (not that it makes a difference).

Leave a comment:

• paul g
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    There is already a near(don't correct me for OPSEC Reasons) permanent military presence at Shannon. It would make perfect sense to dot the T and cross the I and put a permanent military structure in place there. If nothing else it could save the DF in having to transport troops from other barracks to do duty in Shannon.
    Then again, how could you justify Limerick retaining its barracks. What would WOD say.

There is no real need for a second military airport in ireland given the size of the AC>

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by Aidan View Post

All of that said, if there was to be a second AC base, SNN is a logical place to put it. Its commercial traffic isn't that heavy given the fixed infrastructure in place, and it is an important strategic asset. No harm in having a military presence there. And given the mid term economic future facing the midwest, there are other reasons why it might appeal. Given the cost implications though, I would suggest that the appropriate time to do it would be if Baldonnel was getting crowded, ideally in a future scenario where the numbers of helicopters the AC operated was climbing rapidly, and more MPA Assets were also on the way.
    There is already a near(don't correct me for OPSEC Reasons) permanent military presence at Shannon. It would make perfect sense to dot the T and cross the I and put a permanent military structure in place there. If nothing else it could save the DF in having to transport troops from other barracks to do duty in Shannon.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Changing the Don is like eating an elephant.....one little bite at a time
    regards
    GttC
    Unless you liquidise it and feed it to two hungry households.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X