This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish joining the RAF

I knw there's a lot of discussion about Irish citizens joining the British Army as ground troops but is there the same sort of interest within the Irish Air Corp to fly with the RAF.

As a pilot surely the desire to fly Harriers, Tornados & the extensive list of jets & planes they have must draw away a percentage of young pilots who want to see action as joining the BA allows troops to see action.

Are there any here who have experience of this & if so how did they find it?
    Life's short, party naked :-)

I think there are certain issues with non British citizens joining the RAF as officers, this is the case for the Royal Marines. So it might not be at all possible.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Nothing to do with the Air Corp
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Nationality and residency

Nationality

The nationality requirements for each job are given in each of the job files on this website.

To apply for any RAF job, you must be a citizen of the UK or the Republic of Ireland, or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth, or hold dual UK/other nationality.

For security reasons, there are stricter nationality requirements for some jobs. For a few, you must have been a UK citizen and UK resident since birth.

Residency

You must have lived in the UK for the five years immediately before you apply to join. For a few jobs, the qualifying period is 10 years.

If your period of residency has been broken by certain specific circumstances, your application could still be accepted.
        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Working...
        X