No announcement yet.

'COASTWATCH' aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No what I'm saying is that you can't keep 1 aircraft either in the air or on 15-30 notice with just 2 aircraft!
    No you cant nor do you need to. 99% of all operations can be carried out by 1 on-call / patrol aircraft with one on maintenance / spare. Thats what Ive suggested but the Air Corps dont even do that so no way should they get a third.

Unless the helicopter is refuelled at one of the refueling points around the coast or does a HIFR
    The Casa has plenty of range / endurance even if the current / future heli fleet hop from Belmullet or C'bere. None of the current / future heli fleet have HIFR and neither do the any of the current / future Naval vessels so thats also not a consideration.

Comment

You can't guarantee 24/7 and patrols with 2 aircraft, if one aircraft is in deep maintenance and the other has a fault that needs to be fixed.

Are the S61Ns not HIFR capable?

Also it doesn't necessarily have to be an NS vessel that would provide the fuel.

Comment

You can't guarantee 24/7 and patrols with 2 aircraft, if one aircraft is in deep maintenance and the other has a fault that needs to be fixed.
        No you cannot but you can cover 98% of all operations and 24/7 standby, its how the CG do it with their helicopters and they only have a ratio of 1.5 aircraft per base.
        The simple fact is the Air Corps have the equipment to cover 98% of the countries requirements but probably cover somewhere around 60%. More aircraft is not the solution.

Are the S61Ns not HIFR capable?
        No, nor are the S92s that will be here until 2023 at the earliest.

Also it doesn't necessarily have to be an NS vessel that would provide the fuel.
        Mute point as the aircraft are not capable. However the point is that the NS in their future planning and the CG in their future planning do not see a requirement for the capability therefore it should not be a consideration for the assessment of MPA aircraft providing Top Cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
          This was referring to SAR Top Cover assets rather then the SAR helicopters.
          Ahh got ya!

I would presume they would be using G-BCEN the BN-2A for that particular duty.

Comment

I would presume they would be using G-BCEN the BN-2A for that particular duty
            Not sure TBH but I think it might be the Cessna 404, G-EXEX, based at Inverness as she is SLAR equipped which would allow at least a little night search capability.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
              Not sure TBH but I think it might be the Cessna 404, G-EXEX, based at Inverness as she is SLAR equipped which would allow at least a little night search capability.
              And interestingly, one of the MCA's maritime surveillance aircraft provided top cover 250 miles off the west coast of Ireland on Sunday.

Comment

The RAF Nimrods had excellent legs compared to CASAs. Legs and endurance does matter when an incident is out of helicopter range (and you are waiting on a naval vessel).

A CASA has an endurance of around 8 hours in total.... a Nimrod could go 800 nm and then stay on station for 5 hours (longer with in-flight refueling).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  The RAF Nimrods had excellent legs compared to CASAs. Legs and endurance does matter when an incident is out of helicopter range (and you are waiting on a naval vessel).

A CASA has an endurance of around 8 hours in total.... a Nimrod could go 800 nm and then stay on station for 5 hours (longer with in-flight refueling).
                  Doing what?

Comment

Dropping lift rafts, keeping the location of survivors/vessel up to date, weather & condition monitoring, radio relay, directing helicopters & vessels to survivors/vessel, etc etc

Comment

Not to mention the fact that being in a liferaft with an aircraft circling over head keeping an eye on you is the biggest morale boost in the world.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Dropping lift rafts, keeping the location of survivors/vessel up to date, weather & condition monitoring, radio relay, directing helicopters & vessels to survivors/vessel, etc etc

EPIRB, GPS, SAR satellites.... Much less of a role nowadays.

Comment

Hi easy,
                          Given the rate at which man-made electronics fail at sea, I'd rather have a Nimrod or a Casa appear overhead and drop me a clean set of jocks anyday!
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                            EPIRB, GPS, SAR satellites.... Much less of a role nowadays.
                            My EPIRB has sank with my vessel, getting tangled up in the rigging, my GPS is telling me my position but my VHF is too weak to get a signal to anyone over 30 miles away.

I have a crew member with me who has sustained several different injuries and I my self are in shock and am struggling to help. To top it off the liferaft is damaged.

Then overhead a SAR aircraft begins to circle and starts calling on the VHF.

They reasure me that help is on the way, reducing the shock and giving me instructions on how to treat the casualty. They also prepare to drop a liferaft and supplies to help.

I'll take that Nimrod/CASA anyday over a CORSAT/SARSAT
                            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

On the subject of Coastwatch. An interesting image of the SAR regions.

Comment

Nice, thanks.
                                "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Working...
                                X