RESCUE 117: RTE1 20.30 Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    Funny how they felt the need to make a PR object out of this one, as if it were more worthy of attention than any other sick child's case. They were/are regarded as quite routine in Maritime and Heli Flight. There weren't that many flights that were as suposedly spontaneous as this one. It was often the case that the medics warned the Don well in advance, especially given the length of time it takes to check the condition of donated organs.
    Oh, well, at least the kid made it, even if us big cynics are being Doubting Thomases....
    regards
    GttC

Comment

i believe there is already a female winchman in the IRCG.
      Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

I too watched it. Quite enjoyable but too much focus on the female!

They spend 6 months filming but can only manage 20 minutes at a time broadcasting it!

Comment

Is it just me or is there a distinctly anti aircorp vibe here? Im not stirring anything up its just that I have heard a lot of guys slating it and having been a member of the aircorp i have to wonder is there some guys here who are bitter at some of the history gone by when the AC was a SAR operator?
          By the way before you say that im just a biased idiot etc etc you have to understand that I think its better that CHC have SAR and are better equipped for the role but also think that the attitudes by some here are distinctly sour!! Just my two cent and i hope that you guys take it that way but the Aircorp ARE doing a great job with their new role of near complete army co-op! They are recieving plenty of plaudits from within Irish military circles for their dedication to their new cause in which they are now encompassing the military side of things more than ever!!
          But I fail to see the relavence of lads constanly bringing up the old war so to speak. Its done...its dusted...CHC and the AC have moved on...they are both professional outfits and even if some quarters of both are archaic in their mindsets (call it propaganda or whatever you want) and refuse to move on I think the rest of us should do so. The Aircorp as a whole is largley unaware of what you guys are on about bar the rotary side of things and even then everyone has pretty much embraced the new ethos, because believe it or not there is F@*k all else to focus on there and anything is better than stagnation!!!!

CHC do a fantastic job and so do the Aircorp...at what they do. And i know some of you are going to jump down my throat and lambast me for even daring to put the spanner in the works but I had to say it! And one more thing...I thought this was IMO...Irish MILITARY online! Start a Coast guard section somewhere else! Lets get back to the walter mittying of when the AC are going to get C-130s and F-22s!! I for one hate all this bullshit from a by-gone era...let it rest...move on...(ducks and runs for cover!!!)

PS: I havent posted for ages but you guys still make up my daily diet of Irish military info. Keep up the good work!

PPS: Can I come back and play later or have I stirred up too much of a hornets nest???

mcdid
          "You have exactly one minute to get your sh*t together and fall in in front of me.....ninety nine, ninety eight, ninety seven......"

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            i believe there is already a female winchman in the IRCG.
            There was at one time in training, didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
              I too watched it. Quite enjoyable but too much focus on the female!

They spend 6 months filming but can only manage 20 minutes at a time broadcasting it!
              Agreed. Any docu worth its salt is an hour long. Seems to be the RTE format.

Comment

Hi there,
                The Don's article also mentioned the captain of the flight, Anne Brogan, who must hold the record for the most-photographed (female) pilot in the Don. No mention, of course for the dozens of others who made the flight possible...........
                regards
                GttC

As an aside, that programme about Easyjet, narrated by Tony Robinson, once tried to include the engineers who were changing a wheel on the ramp, during a turnaround.When poor oul Tony heard the cry of "**** off" from the spanners, he fled
                regards
                GttC
                Last edited by GoneToTheCanner; 17 September 2010, 11:06.

Comment

R117

Good footage and the unit look fairly sharp and are top of their game but a bit short at 21 minutes viewing time. I was a bit surprised that whilst mention was made of the Tuskar Rock crash , no mention was made of R111 given the local connections and common enterprise.

Comment

Thought it was pretty good overall. Would be nice to see some long range stuff during the series.

Sometimes hard to know who the pilots and winchmen were though. Does everyone have a set of Wings?

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
                      Thought it was pretty good overall. Would be nice to see some long range stuff during the series.

Sometimes hard to know who the pilots and winchmen were though. Does everyone have a set of Wings?
                      Yes.

They are filming in Shannon at the mo, The home of long range jobs rumour has it.Don't know how much footage they have got, seems to be a bit quieter there that Waterford I have heard. To be honest long range or short range will probably look the same on telly.It will all be down to how it is edited.

Comment

Originally posted by Helihead View Post
                        Yes.

To be honest long range or short range will probably look the same on telly.It will all be down to how it is edited.

I remember the great docu that was shown over here years ago called ' Rescue '

A shout to an oil platform 130nm, NE of Aberdeen took only seconds!!!
                        Last edited by pmtts; 20 September 2010, 21:27.

Comment

Was that the one with 202 sqn? They were (un)lucky enough to be making the doc when piper alpha went up.
                          Around 1989?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Was that the one with 202 sqn? They were (un)lucky enough to be making the doc when piper alpha went up.
                            Around 1989?
                            Yes that was the very one. The cameraman Paul Berriff was based at Lossiemouth and witnessed two incidents I don't think he would ever forget during his filming career

He was one of the first on scene shortly after Piper Alpha exploded. The other was when he was onboard one of the Sea Kings on a training exercise that crashed in the Highlands.

In his very words regarding the crash :

" One of the engines failed and those Sea Kings, have two engines, so if one fails they can continue on one. But they will drop 150ft before the second engine gets up enough speed to continue the journey.

"We were so close to the mountain that as one of the engines went out we dropped and there was not enough speed to get the second engine warmed up to get us out of a problem.

"We hit the ground and the helicopter somersaulted three or four times. My seat belt broke and I was flung round and round in the back. We did that for about three-quarters-of-a-mile down the mountain, before it ended on its side and caught fire."

All but the moment of the crash was shown when it was aired.
                            Last edited by pmtts; 21 September 2010, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post

it used to be full wings for pilots,half wings for winch crew but they've swapped to everyone wearing full wings for some reason

but the epaulet bars for say a captain (four bars) are thicker than a chief crewman (four skinnier bars)

Comment

Originally posted by warthog View Post
                                it used to be full wings for pilots,half wings for winch crew....
                                This is the general aviation convention for those who are pilot qualified versus those
                                who are aircrew, but not pilot qualified
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X