Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come-quickly
    replied
    I have a book at home called follow me which includes the story of an Israeli fighter pilot shot down over Lebanon being rescued by an AH-1, he was actually suspended in a harness as opposed to hanging onto the skids for dear life tho.

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    replied
    Oh, winching with skids is always more difficult than with wheels cos the skids get in the way. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Leave a comment:

• T.I.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Scorpy
    I always find that it's a bit difficult to fly AND stand on the skids at the same time... does that mean that I'm not cool?
    No, that makes you a pilot!...

Leave a comment:

• Turkey
    replied
    HTP, I said 'most naval types', stop being so yellowjackish!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    replied
    I always find that it's a bit difficult to fly AND stand on the skids at the same time... does that mean that I'm not cool?

Question, in all the pictures I've seen of the Israeli pilot being rescued by the Cobra after he was shot down, he was clinging with the skid under his armpits. Any enlightenment out there? He must have disagreed with the whole image thing!

Leave a comment:

• T.I.M.
    replied
    but you still cant do the "im so cool" thing....

Leave a comment:

• T.I.M.
    replied
    well you can taxi with wheeles... but you cant do the whole "look at me im soo cool that i stand on the skid " thing without skids!

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    The Italians use the Agusta 212 at sea and that has skids......a lot of south americans use the Bell 212 at sea and also the MBB 109. The MD apache has wheels as does the majority of russian helos...so the arguements were....refresh my mind?:D :D :D :D

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Most "rolling" take offs are done at the hover anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Turkey
    replied
    Ah, the old running take-off theory:
    Many years ago when most of us were the age we act, the RN were trying to get built a new class of anti-submarine cruiser, which was to be designed to operate a proposed new type of helicopter which would use a rolling take off to increase it's initial payload, this led to the thru' deck cruiser, which led, after a number of steps to the Invincible class of Harrier carrier. The truth was, well, within the limits of this board anyway, was that there never was a helicopter designed for a rolling take off, but there was the Harrier and the ski-jump, and a small force of Brits bet the crap outta the Argentinens, something they just cannot seem to manage on a football field!:D

I am not asking you to belive me, but I heard this story many years ago, it is just daft enough to be true:D :D :D

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    shhhhh!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• I.M.F.
    Guest replied
    that was a plane wasnt it

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    What about that episode of Fr Ted....

Leave a comment:

• Joey D
    replied
    Without skids our action heroes wouldnt have anything to hang on to after jumping from a building seconds before it explodes! Wheels arent much good there!

Leave a comment:

• Scorpy
    replied
    It's a lot easier to land a heli equipped with skids - more positive ground contact. With wheels, you get more oscillation or ground resonance which can be a real pain when on a slope. Skids appear on aircraft to save weight and simplify the design. They are also a good compromise between aerodynamic effeciency and weight saving. Retractable wheels are obviously more complex, more expensive and more easily damaged, however, skid equipped helis find it more difficult to conduct running take offs which can be useful if you are operating at high gross weights. I can't imagine what landing a Gazelle on a pitching, rolling deck must be like - any ex Brit Army Air Corps experiences? Bit of an arrival I'd say...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X