No announcement yet.

Dublin Airport O'Bama visitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged Chinook packed away neatly in the C17, gifts are exchanged with the crew of Rescue 116:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Miller time.

Comment

Originally posted by Helihead View Post
      OK, two ready to fly back to Germany, one being worked on...to be flown back to Germany. One dismantled and ready to be flown back to the US in the near future. Had a look inside the chinook that lost half a blade. This one on shut down had one of the rear blades strike the roof of the fuselage between both gearboxes putting one very big hole in the roof and taking out the flight controls at the same time.
      now i will buy that - it was the lack of damage reported to any fuselage that put me off but this makes sense.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

So it wasn't the photos of the snapped rotor blades I posted a few days ago? Or Gttc's mate who got a tour? Maybe it was the photo of the poor sick chopper loaded into the back of a C-17 in the post above that settled it for you ?!

In other news: Proof found of life on Mars, RGJ not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
          So it wasn't the photos of the snapped rotor blades I posted a few days ago? Or Gttc's mate who got a tour? Maybe it was the photo of the poor sick chopper loaded into the back of a C-17 in the post above that settled it for you ?!

In other news: Proof found of life on Mars, RGJ not buying it.
          nope i certainly didn't believe it was wind damage - because snapped blades and no sign of fuselage damage can happen in many many ways.

now that there is fuselage damage reported it all makes sense.

just like i didn't believe there was life on Mars until they found ice - now i'm a believer
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 3 June 2011, 23:18.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Flew back into Dublin airport yesterday & seen the chinhooks sitting out on the tarmac.
            When are they being collected??

Who knows, they might feel sorry for us & give us them at a discount!!
            Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Comment

The news paper (metro herald) today complained about the cost of guarding them and then suggested that dublin Airport authority may retain the damaged one for training purposes, as it is written off.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                  dublin Airport authority may retain the damaged one for training purposes, as it is written off.
                  yeah that makes sense - you get loads of Chinooks in Ireland
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I assume training as in for fire service etc.

would prefer to see the 4 handed over to the aircorps ... but then the papers would start up:

"FREE" american death machines to cost dept of defence millions to keep in the air .... etc.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• you would be better off getting a few young lads from FAS to come and convert an ISO container into a fire training helicopter hulk which will be the shape you desire and will last a lot longer.

the Chinook is the wrong shape for generic fire service training, and it will melt when burnt.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• All finally departed this morning after their extended stay.

Comment

• I know this subject is pretty much done and dusted but was talking to a mate of mine the weekend that works in dublin airport said that the rotors struck a lighting pylon? and that it was repaired and flew off with the others back to germany, he wasn't based around that part of the airport but thats what he was told... open to correction on any of that

Comment

Working...
                          X