Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Some of the manufacturing tolerances of the American models didn't match the British and there were differences in things like heat treatments and hardness of parts, so, in effect, they were not compatible.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Sounds like the American built oerlikons.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    The same.Hispanos tended to differ either by minor internal differences or by how they were fed, ie, left or right, drum or belt. American and British Hispanos were interchangeable by mount but could not always swap individual parts.

regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Rhodes
    replied
    Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
    Whats the bottom 20mm weapon?
    Its a Hispano, looks like a Mk II and the top one a Mk V but not 100% sure.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Whats the bottom 20mm weapon?

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied
    Couple more to illustrate. This is a Vampire FB5 at RAF Cosford museum.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied
    I think this pic makes the point clearly if anyone wasn't sure.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied
    Thanks GTTC for clearing that up, I've been trying to get that answer for years without sucess! Obviously been asking the wrong people

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    The muzzles didn't protude at all. The cannon were fitted permanently and were rearmed thru access panels under the belly. The cannon barrels had their own access panel.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied
    That's what I was saying, presumably the muzzles just barely protruding? Also, presumably when canon were mounted a cover plate/door would be removed?

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    The Vampires' cannons were internal. The only external ordnance was rockets.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I've never seen footage of vampires doing ceremonials from a side or front view, it would probably have been difficult to tell if they had canons mounted unless you could see close enough from a suitable angle?

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    They had 7.62 stamped on the top of the feed cover. Even though they have quite a different shape, either gun could fit the Fouga's mounts. Apart from that, is the French 7.5 round the old long round for the Lebel or a short equivalent to the 7.62 X 51?
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Ah, that makes sense, I thought all the AAT52s were 7.5mm.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    They had both the GPMG and AAT-52, in 7.62mm and used both, but there were only two of the French guns available and they were rarely used.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X