No announcement yet.

US UK to provide aircover in future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it doesn't seem like there is a reason to have a bunch of fighters since Ireland isn't really fighting too many wars.....

Well that's not really the point.

1. When you need the military it's too late to start buying equipment.

2. The issue is that our Min for Defence stood up in the Dail and stated that in the event of a 9/11 type threat to our security we would ask the RAF to do us a favour. The more I think about it the more head-melting it becomes. Sort of like the Sec of Defence over there asking the Cuban Air Force to defend where you live.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Oh I totally understand Groundhog, but truthfully I feel much more comfortable with an F-16 or Tornado protecting my president than some Marchettis (not that I mean that in an offensive way, but the superiority is obvious). Even though I'm a few generations removed from Ireland, I still feel somewhat embarassed that my ancestral homeland does not have the necessary air power to even protect themselves in war. Someone needs to tell the next government in place (because Bertie and Co. obviously aren't doing anything about it) that fighters are not necessarily there to be put into war, but just to have sufficient protection for the nation. I guess they have that mentality that why need an air corps when the powerful UK is right next to us, but what if the UK/Ireland were to get into a military battle in the next 10-15 years? If that seems too farfetched just look at the US and Iraq.....
      "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Unfortunately the consensus of opinion in Ireland runs along the lines of-

Weesha sure we're the Irish. Everybody loves us because we're great crack and we have no enemies. Sure why do we need an army and so on and so on, you get the picture.

Every single government since 1922 has regarded the DF as, if not a threat then a burden on the exchequer. Except for the period 1939-45 of course. The DF is there to provide tone on ceremonial occasions and to cajole various third world types into not killing each other. Mostly with our Celtic charm, wit and blarney.

In the event of a war Tony Blair will come through on the basis that his granny was Irish or drank a pint of guinness every Sunday lunchtime or something. And that in a nutshell is Fianna Fail defence policy.

Mind you, you should see their health and education policies. We'd be better off with a junta comprised of Larry, Curly and Mo.
        sigpic

Comment

with an F-16 or Tornado protecting my president than some Marchettis

You lost four presidents to assassination. If some nutter wants to get Dubya the whole USAF will be useless. And if GWB gets killed it won't be the end of the world. Nobody is irreplacable, not even the US President.
          sigpic

Comment

This is true about air forces, but the reason they're doing cover is in case of a (VERY UNLIKELY) plane suicide attack. Dunno how you guys are trained in respect to that, would be interested in knowing......
            "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Groundhog: 4 US Presidents? Besides Lincoln and Kennedy, who were the other two?
              There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
              Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

James A Garfield,Wm Mc Kinley.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Generic AA defence in an Infantry Battalion is provided by it's GPMGs and HMGs in the AA Role. No missiles so close in AA defence is all is available.
                  sigpic

Comment

Personally I find the absence of effective air and sea arms nauseating at the best of times, but given most peoples attitudes in this country they may well deserve to die.
                    Interestingly enough Average (my Aus TA acquaintance whos posted here at least once) has an Irish born Politician in his constituency that firmly conforms to the Irish modus of claiming that all fast jets are only going to end up killing cute babies.

There was an Article on the Swiss F-5Es in this months AFM, I must say I felt a powerful sense of longing (not in a fouling the cockpit way you understand) for these low cost effective multirole fighters that would be branded in Irish politik speak as hospital closing bunny killers:o
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The problems with the Irish (and the Australians) is we haven't had the Germans come crashing through the country twice a century since time began. Necessity is the mother of effective defence.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X