Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tempest, you forgot to mention Tempest

    Comment


    • And the RAF Regt.

      'Air minded infantry' .

      I actually think they believe their own bullsh#t.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

      Comment


      • Originally posted by spider View Post
        And the RAF Regt.

        'Air minded infantry' .

        I actually think they believe their own bullsh#t.
        But they aren't really infantry either. More like the bastard child of air defence artillery and military police, with some base workshops thrown in for good measure.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          But they aren't really infantry either. More like the bastard child of air defence artillery and military police, with some base workshops thrown in for good measure.
          Oh I know.

          They think they're infantry though.

          Individually fine, collectively knobbers, like much of the rest of the RAF.
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

          Comment


          • Originally posted by spider View Post
            And the RAF Regt.

            'Air minded infantry' .

            I actually think they believe their own bullsh#t.
            They updated the bs to the 21st Century -

            'Air Mindfulness infantry'

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
              They updated the bs to the 21st Century -

              'Air Mindfulness infantry'
              Otherwise known as " air heads " .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

              Comment


              • Bears are back again

                https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...land-1.4196550

                https://theaviationist.com/2020/03/0...yal-air-force/
                EUFighter
                Colonel
                Last edited by EUFighter; 7 March 2020, 20:12.

                Comment


                • Some more details from the latest Russian Bear incident;

                  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tion-1.4196696

                  Comment


                  • Quite concerning this one. One aircraft an anti sub version, patrolling off the west coast of Ireland.
                    The other was comms relay, and can communicate with submerged subs by trailing a 4km cable.
                    If flying with transponder off, as the Russians often do, make things difficult for all the commercial flights.traversing that area.
                    Thankfully the RAF escort these bears with transponder on so ATC can plan accordingly.
                    Goes without saying we should be doing this ourselves, or at least actively assisting the RAF and NATO. And not just ignoring it, and raising a fuss in the dail next week when nobody cares.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                    Comment


                    • A slight correction; Tornados on CAP during the second Gulf war were tasked to intercept and shoot down an Iraqi fast jet, so they duly closed, ID'd it and were cleared to fire. At the last minute, as the F3s closed the range, Saudi aircraft were detailed to do the job and the Tornados stood down and the Saudis got the kill. Even then, it is alleged that the Saudis almost lost the contact as they passed the Tornados but they got the kill in the end. When the RAF queried the decision,they were told that for reasons of national prestige, the host Air Force had to be seen to get a kill......as for the Falklands, the RAF and other services were offered every weapon in the US inventory, short of nuclear weapons, but it was felt in Whitehall that taking US weapons openly would be seen as a diplomatically bad thing in South America,so they got the AIM-9L for the Harriers, the use of satellites and a host of other things that could be delivered discretely and quickly. The USAF offered them PGMs to disrupt the runway at Stanley but tests proved that the Falklands weather often defied modern technology (the Rapier missile failed so often in Scotland, there were serious doubts about bringing it to the South Atlantic) but they did recieve many millions of gallons of jet fuel, diverted from US war stocks. The RAF conducted all of the ground attacks because the Sea Harrier was optimised as a fighter and couldn't do basic bombing.....I'll concede on the Nimrod AEW. It was never going to work and an E3A could have been had much earlier. Don't forget that the navy top men voted for the capability gap that left them without carriers for the last decade, despite being offered the F18 and the Rafale, tokeep them in the game.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        Quite concerning this one. One aircraft an anti sub version, patrolling off the west coast of Ireland.
                        The other was comms relay, and can communicate with submerged subs by trailing a 4km cable.
                        If flying with transponder off, as the Russians often do, make things difficult for all the commercial flights.traversing that area.
                        Thankfully the RAF escort these bears with transponder on so ATC can plan accordingly.
                        Goes without saying we should be doing this ourselves, or at least actively assisting the RAF and NATO. And not just ignoring it, and raising a fuss in the dail next week when nobody cares.
                        The Russian explanation of why their aircraft were where they were is classic: "to monitor the NATO Exercise in Northern Norway". Last time I looked Tromso was a long way from Donegal, they must have great listening equipment.

                        Comment


                        • Says alot when a Parody Twitter account gets a response from an offical RAF account

                          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CTU View Post
                            Says alot when a Parody Twitter account gets a response from an offical RAF account

                            Now we know why Mike O'Leary is so interested in the Don, we all thought it was for B737 but in reality it is so he has somewhere for all his Eurofighters. Outsourcing will be the only way we ever get anything like that.

                            Comment


                            • That RAF Lossiemouth twitter page as a map of the Bears track off the west coast



                              Shame this didn't happen during the Security Conference, I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall during the meeting between DoD and DFA this morning.
                              Last edited by CTU; 9 March 2020, 21:28.
                              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

                              Comment


                              • The govt can barely decide to cancel a parade during a pandemic. This other problem is out of their league.
                                Declan Power gave a good account of it earlier on the Last Word on Today FM.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X