Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Google is your friend (as someone used to say)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sligo_Airport


    Location of airport in Ireland
    Runways
    Length
    m ft
    1,199 3,933

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Orion View Post
      Google is your friend (as someone used to say)

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sligo_Airport


      Location of airport in Ireland
      Runways
      Length
      m ft
      1,199 3,933
      This site is better

      http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/IAIP_Frame_CD.htm
      Last edited by CTU; 3 July 2020, 21:28.
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

      Comment


      • Oops. Need new glasses.
        For some reason when I used the measure function I could only see the "500m" in the middle, and not the 1.12km at the end.
        Attached Files
        German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
        German 2: Private? I am a general!
        German 1: That is the bad news.

        Comment


        • At lot of back of a fag packet take off/landing performance calculations going on here. Please stop.

          No accounting for non test pilot/ ISA conditions. No factoring. There is good reason things are not done to the absolute minimum runway requirement. There is theoretical and there is reality.

          Comment


          • What he said.

            Most modern fighters can do lots spectacular things, but doing them burns through fuel, brakes, engines, pilots nerves and local goodwill like nobody's business.

            Most military airfields are out in the middle of nowhere and have bloody huge runways, and that not something that either happens by accident, or because someone is getting a kickback from a tarmac company....

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ropebag View Post
              Most military airfields are out in the middle of nowhere and have bloody huge runways, and that not something that either happens by accident, or because someone is getting a kickback from a tarmac company....
              Many of those military airfield you refer too where designed for 1st generation jet aircraft which did required extremely long runways. Some have even earlier histories take RAF Coningsby, this got its long paved runways to enable it to operate the Lancaster bombers, the heavy bomber of the time. Later came Camberra and Vulcan aircraft, and today it is home to Eurofighter Typhoos; do they need that size of runway, no.

              Could Grippens fly out of our regional airports, the answer would be yes; the runways at those airports are longer than the road strips in the BAS90 system for which the aircraft were designed. Is is desirable that is a different question.

              We are talking if and it is a big if we ever did get a force of Grippens we would all prefer to have them operate out of a more suitable airbase. IMHO Baldonnel would not be suitable due to the large population around it, SHN would be the better choice. This we have discussed at length many times.

              Comment


              • There is no road in Ireland straight enough over 800 metres to achieve BAS90 unfortunately

                Comment


                • Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  There is no road in Ireland straight enough over 800 metres to achieve BAS90 unfortunately
                  The point was that the runways at the regional airports are longer than the 800m of the BAS90.

                  Comment


                  • Outside Bundoran in Donegal there is a stretch of the N15 that is 1.2 miles in length, and it is straight as anything.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      There is no road in Ireland straight enough over 800 metres to achieve BAS90 unfortunately
                      The M4 just after the junction to the M6 is long enough, unfortunately someone put at bridge across the suitable section.

                      Comment


                      • There has been a discussion about range and how far an aircraft would have to fly, and it is not as big as many think.
                        The best I could find to illustrate is the following link:
                        https://notaminfo.com/irelandmap

                        There are three things I think are getting a bit mixed:
                        (a) Irish sovereign airscape, the 12 mile limit.
                        (b) Irish controlled airspace, that which is under the control of the Shannon FIR.
                        (c) EEZ, this has no relation to airspace, at least not yet.

                        So basically we are concerned with the first two and what the sharp eyed will notice is they do not always match. That is because ATC like to have straight lines. So not all Irish control airspace is Irish sovereign airspace, there are parts of NI airspace in the Shannon FIR. And on the other side not all Irish sovereign airspace (most off Donegal) is within the Shannon FIR (It is similar with the SAR areas).

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          The point was that the runways at the regional airports are longer than the 800m of the BAS90.
                          Originally posted by pilatus View Post
                          Outside Bundoran in Donegal there is a stretch of the N15 that is 1.2 miles in length, and it is straight as anything.
                          Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          The M4 just after the junction to the M6 is long enough, unfortunately someone put at bridge across the suitable section.
                          It was a joke

                          Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          So not all Irish control airspace is Irish sovereign airspace,
                          The Shannon FIR is probably approx the same size again as our sovereign airspace

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            There is no road in Ireland straight enough over 800 metres to achieve BAS90 unfortunately
                            Oh how wrong you are. And at the doorstep of a military installation too! You'd swear it was designed with this purpose in mind.Click image for larger version

Name:	kilworth.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	698333
                            German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                            German 2: Private? I am a general!
                            German 1: That is the bad news.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              Oh how wrong you are. And at the doorstep of a military installation too! You'd swear it was designed with this purpose in mind.[ATTACH]8799[/ATTACH]
                              Maybe it is for the field deployment of the PC12s

                              Comment


                              • For those who say the Irish government wouldn't waste money on building a new airfield on the west coast I give you Cleggan Aerodrome in Galway.

                                https://irishexaminer.com/breakingne...de-895268.html
                                https://maps.app.goo.gl/mqAdYgL8asY5XRaM9

                                Now I am not saying that this airfield in its current state is suitable for "Fast Jet" operations, but it shows that if they wanted to build a new base on the west coast they could.
                                Last edited by CTU; 4 July 2020, 11:50.
                                It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                                It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                                It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                                It was the year everything changed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X