Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
    Sorry! I didn't mean to make it sound like there's a bunch of PS workers living like lords while the rest of them scrounge around
    It is the Union bosses living like lords

Comment

• Ruh-Roh.
      Secret defence pact allowing RAF jets in Irish airspace ‘undermines our neutrality’, says TD Berry - Independent.ie

Comment

• Nothing we on IMO don't know already, but its good that it is being written about in a major daily newspaper. Most interesting bit of that article from my point of view is this...

"But now he has expressed concerns that the secret defence pact may be unconstitutional under Article 15(6) of the Irish Constitution, which states that only the Oireachtas can authorise a foreign military force to operate within the State or on behalf of the State."

Would love to see what would happen if someone took a case to the courts!

This is something I feel strongly about and if I had the money I would take a case to the courts.

Its a wonder Sinn Fein are not all over this, after all they have spent years banging the 'Brits Out' drum. Surely this would be a perfect stick for them to beat the government with. Still will be a useful question to ask the Sinn Fein candidates about come election time.

Comment

• Come to think of it a few pointed questions to the minister, something along the lines of... is the minister satisfied that the defence pact with the RAF is constitutional etc.
          Replies would be interesting to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1798 View Post
            Come to think of it a few pointed questions to the minister, something along the lines of... is the minister satisfied that the defence pact with the RAF is constitutional etc.
            Replies would be interesting to read.
            I'm sure they will try and use Article 28/3/2. if there was ever a shoot down, and that ATC (IAA) "intercept" both aircraft from the ground via Radio in compliance with the 1990 Regulations and send a snotty email to the induvial states involved, who then take said email "under consideration" (put in delete/spam folder).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/si/12

"intercept", in relation to an aircraft, means any one or more of the following:

( b ) determine its identity from another aircraft or from the ground,
            ( c ) direct it beyond the boundaries of the national airspace concerned from another aircraft or from the ground,
            ( e ) instruct it from another aircraft or from the ground to effect a landing at an aerodrome designated in the instruction,
            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Cathal was on newstalk this morning just after 11am with Pat Kenny. Well worth a listen, of only to see how Cathal reeled him in and by the end had Pat convinced we could equip a squadron for much less than Pat thought.

Comment

• https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

Click on the play button to the right of the Pat Kenny show. Skip to 02:03:06 if you'd like to listen.

Comment

• I listened to the interview with great interest.

Does anybody here know what aircraft he was referring to - which could be financed at €20 million per year (as opposed to the current €8 million spend on the PC-9M’s)?????
                  IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

• Only jet trainers.

T50 or M346FA are in that neighbourhood

Comment

• What about leasing?
                      some great deals to be had also on the 2nd hand market, with France divesting itself of its early versions of Rafale, to allow the replacement with the newest version.
                      Greece, Croatia and India have done well from France in this regard.

Comment

• https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...or-1-2-billion

$1.2 billion for 12 fighters plus training and equipment. Seems a bit off Berry's estimate

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
                          https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...or-1-2-billion

$1.2 billion for 12 fighters plus training and equipment. Seems a bit off Berry's estimate
                          I’m doubtful he was talking about the Rafales, didn’t he mention the FA 50 during the talk? On the other hand, France might be willing to give us a nice loan for the 12 at good rates as they have done for others…

Comment

• I reckon he was talking about annual operating cost for a squadron of trainer jets.

It would be interesting to know what jets he was thinking of? He said they would be capable of Mach 1.5 and carry air-to-air weapons?????

What trainer jets are capable of this speed? Carry weapons? And presumably have on-board Radar

The question of Ireland needing a Primary Radar system comes into the equation too

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

I’m doubtful he was talking about the Rafales, didn’t he mention the FA 50 during the talk? On the other hand, France might be willing to give us a nice loan for the 12 at good rates as they have done for others…
                              He didn’t mention any specific jet.
                              Pat Kenny mentioned “F50’s or whatever” when referring to UK jets (as he couldn’t think of the exact jet they use at that moment)

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver View Post
                                I reckon he was talking about annual operating cost for a squadron of trainer jets.

It would be interesting to know what jets he was thinking of? He said they would be capable of Mach 1.5 and carry air-to-air weapons?????

What trainer jets are capable of this speed? Carry weapons? And presumably have on-board Radar

The question of Ireland needing a Primary Radar system comes into the equation too
                                The KAI FA-50 developed from the T-50 trainer is likely what he is referring to. With the Block 20 it is becoming a very capable Light Combat Fighter with BVR, Link 16 and comparatively affordable operating costs which when operating a small fleet of 8-12 aircraft is a significant hurdle.

Comment

Working...
                                X