Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Time to take back the road outside of the camp and turning it into an airfield!!
    Were you with me when we were told it's always been property of DF? You'd easily land a PC-12 there as it is. You just need to sort out vehicle barriers either end and remove the public right of way (Like in DFTC)
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	6d6cje.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	733063

Ahem...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	6d6cje.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	733063

Ahem...
        Well, it was my mythical money tree, and I decided on the Gripen based on it coming from a local supplier. The M-346 would qualify on that factor, but it is "technically" only an advanced trainer, and I am unconvinced of it's ability for QRF or air policing, though I would see it as a stepping stone.

Originally posted by na grohmiti
        Were you with me when we were told it's always been property of DF? You'd easily land a PC-12 there as it is. You just need to sort out vehicle barriers either end and remove the public right of way (Like in DFTC)
        Rings a bell alright, But given, to the best of my knowledge, the DF have not closed the road in a long time, I can imagine the complaints from locals.
        Last edited by ODIN; 20 April 2022, 10:22.
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Well, it was my mythical money tree, and I decided on the Gripen based on it coming from a local supplier. The M-346 would qualify on that factor, but it is "technically" only an advanced trainer, and I am unconvinced of it's ability for QRF or air policing, though I would see it as a stepping stone.

Rings a bell alright, But given, to the best of my knowledge, the DF have not closed the road in a long time, I can imagine the complaints from locals.
          We need to get the M-346 out of our vocabulary completely. Its a stepping stone in the same way as a hunting rifle is a stepping stone to an AUG. Yes you can learn on both, but which one would you prefer to bring into combat against a foe with a proper combat weapon?

I did a checkpoint on it about 3-4 years ago. Locals aren't using it. Nobody is using it. The locals are using the back road from Kilworth village to mountain barrack, or heading up the range for walks. Everyone else is using the motorway, which is untolled from Fermoy to Mitchelstown.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            We need to get the M-346 out of our vocabulary completely. Its a stepping stone in the same way as a hunting rifle is a stepping stone to an AUG. Yes you can learn on both, but which one would you prefer to bring into combat against a foe with a proper combat weapon?

I did a checkpoint on it about 3-4 years ago. Locals aren't using it. Nobody is using it. The locals are using the back road from Kilworth village to mountain barrack, or heading up the range for walks. Everyone else is using the motorway, which is untolled from Fermoy to Mitchelstown.
            Seemed to be a good bit of traffic on it last summer but if it was ever required there is diversions there that could be put in place

PC12 and Gripen need about 800 metres so should be fine

should be fine for width

Might need 1 or 2 power lines but under the road but that would be it

Comment

Closed the road at Kilworth or DFTC ?

DFTC happens annually it has to

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                I agree completely.

The FA-50 is the same really, an advanced trainer, and probably should be off the shopping list too.

Comment

• Just a bit of sarcasm lads, don't worry. I was reading through this thread and got sick of seeing the same two names endlessly

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Seemed to be a good bit of traffic on it last summer but if it was ever required there is diversions there that could be put in place

should be fine for width

Gripen needs 400m for take off and 500m for landing, and the PC-12 needs 793m for take off and 661m for landing. So, would be loads of space.

Comment

• Originally posted by gaff85 View Post

Dead right you are, look what happened Ukraine initially, most destroyed on the ground as they were in specific air bases, we have one, only would need one direct hit and all air assets are out of use.

Agree need to have more SNN, NOC even the likes of SXL as they would al have 24hr ATC/Fire Cover
                      If we were in a situation where we needed to disperse the AC fleet to protect it (and defend the State) just moving to one base will not be enough you’ll need to disperse around the State

paved 800 metre runways we have a good few options (apart from Baldonnel):
                      - Dublin
                      - Shannon
                      - Cork
                      - Knock
                      - Kerry
                      - Waterford
                      - Sligo
                      - Weston
                      - Donegal
                      - Galway

there may be others

Comment

If we were in a situation where we needed to disperse the AC fleet to protect it (and defend the State) just moving to one base will not be enough you’ll need to disperse around the State

paved 800 metre runways we have a good few options (apart from Baldonnel):
                        - Dublin
                        - Shannon
                        - Cork
                        - Knock
                        - Kerry
                        - Waterford
                        - Sligo
                        - Weston
                        - Donegal
                        - Galway

there may be others
                        I'll just leave this here, to show how such an arrangement and the resulting infrastructure upgrades could be funded.

Almost €16.4 million in exchequer funding is to be allocated to Ireland's regional airports, to contribute towards capital investment in the areas of safety and security, and sustainability.
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

should be fine for width

Divert all southbound traffic at the Roundabout. Divert all northbound at Corbett Court. Gates from the local roads by the Gloc, the roads from the range and at the houses next to the camp where the superprison was supposed to go.
                          That gives you 1.5km to play with. The overhead wires seem to be telepone for the camp, should be straightforward to bury.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post

I'll just leave this here, to show how such an arrangement and the resulting infrastructure upgrades could be funded.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...onal-airports/
                            Was actually going to post that yesterday

the whole point about dispersal though is to remove all the eggs from 1 basket and increase survivability by putting in multiple baskets

we also would have the option of finding other sites for helis, grass sites could be an option for others

the infrastructure required for that would be mobile deployable equipment rather that towers, fire cover etc

Comment

Was actually going to post that yesterday

the whole point about dispersal though is to remove all the eggs from 1 basket and increase survivability by putting in multiple baskets

we also would have the option of finding other sites for helis, grass sites could be an option for others

the infrastructure required for that would be mobile deployable equipment rather that towers, fire cover etc
                              We have to get the Air Corps out of Dublin first though... They are all very fond of those blue railings.

Comment

• Worth a watch

Comment

Working...
                                X