No announcement yet.

Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbeyshrule,.........is that not where we are hiding our F-35s, hopefully none were spotted.

The incident goes to show what we discuss a few times that the need for primary radar and aircraft to police our skies are needed for things other than the odd Russian Bear.

Comment

• Well don’t think we will be sending pilots to the RAF to train for a while (maybe why they were sent to US & Australia?)

Military Aviation - UKMFTS Failing to Deliver...again - Wow. Imagine my surprise that the most ill thought through, poorly run, and shockingly poor value for money system in NATO is unable to produce pilots! https://news.sky.com/story/uks-abili...ggest-12666275 The MOD sold their souls when they gifted Ascent a

Comment

• I do remember reading before this document became public that the UK had been approached to train our pilots, but declined, as they were struggling to fulfil their own obligations. It may have been mentioned in one of the FOI from earlier in the year.
        It never made sense to me that an air arm the size of the RAF would choose to farm out their flying training to civvy contractors. That's more like something a small force, like ours should be doing. Much of it seems to be down to the retirement of Tucano, the phasing out of Hawk, and the absence of any modern UK built aircraft to replace either type.

The question begs though, if the RAF are struggling to get pilots in the air, who is protecting Irish sovereign airspace?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          I do remember reading before this document became public that the UK had been approached to train our pilots, but declined, as they were struggling to fulfil their own obligations. It may have been mentioned in one of the FOI from earlier in the year.
          It never made sense to me that an air arm the size of the RAF would choose to farm out their flying training to civvy contractors. That's more like something a small force, like ours should be doing. Much of it seems to be down to the retirement of Tucano, the phasing out of Hawk, and the absence of any modern UK built aircraft to replace either type.

The question begs though, if the RAF are struggling to get pilots in the air, who is protecting Irish sovereign airspace?
          The RAF civvy training contract has been a disaster and it led to quite a few cadets either not completing or being put on hold after Basic flight training and being given odd jobs to tide them over, so much so that many candidates quit out of sheer frustration. The same also applies to the civvy recruitment system for ordinary soldiers, which has also left junior entrants in a hold pool awaiting slots in Line units. While a lot of functions, such as aircraft line ops, servicing and overhaul have long since been farmed out and are working well, the current system is an abject failure and not a good example to follow. Incidentally, Beech, when offering the T6 II, offered to conduct their training for our cadets with just four airframes, based on a US-style cadet screening/streaming system.

Comment

• Our Scandinavian friend wrote a very useful analysis of the Polish decision to purchase the FA50. Well worth a read.
            Heavy (or rather, light) Metal in the South, Pt. 5 – The Korean Bird Appears – Corporal Frisk

Comment

Our Scandinavian friend wrote a very useful analysis of the Polish decision to purchase the FA50. Well worth a read.
              Heavy (or rather, light) Metal in the South, Pt. 5 – The Korean Bird Appears – Corporal Frisk
              Interesting read, especially on the industrial issue Lockheed are having at their new site, it seems they are finding it difficult to get the enough qualified workers etc. They now expect to stat production of new build next year with deliveries in 2024. Given that the rate is 3 per month this means there are no slots available until 2028 by which time the Poles will have all their FA-50PL delivered. As for Saab if they were part of BAe System I think they would have seen more sales than what they have achieved. But that might change now that they have decided to give up neutrality and join NATO, we will have to see.

Comment

• Write up on CAMM for Finland

After half a decade of talking fighters under the auspice of the HX-programme, much has already been said. Which meant that ironically enough, the most interesting piece of kit at the Kaivari 21 ai…

Comment

• Interesting selection of the Giraffe 4A, also to be found on the latest Finnish warship class.

Comment

• Came across this series from the Swedush Armed Forces tiltle "Vägen till att bli en stridspilo" or in English "Road to be a fighter pilot"

Vägen till stridspilot – en serie om utbildningen och yrket som stridspilot. Kommer 18 november 2020. Läs mer om Försvarsmaktens pilotutbildning: https://fo...

(Change the subtitle settings from Swedish and the translation works pretty well)

It is a series that follows from basic training all the way to operational flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      Came across this series from the Swedush Armed Forces tiltle "Vägen till att bli en stridspilo" or in English "Road to be a fighter pilot"

Vägen till stridspilot – en serie om utbildningen och yrket som stridspilot. Kommer 18 november 2020. Läs mer om Försvarsmaktens pilotutbildning: https://fo...

(Change the subtitle settings from Swedish and the translation works pretty well)

It is a series that follows from basic training all the way to operational flying.
                      Only seems to give me a Swedish subtitle option?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Go to the "Automatic Translate" setting and you can change to English or even Irish
                        Last edited by EUFighter; 28 August 2022, 13:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

I find that viewing on a PC or viewing using the mobile Youtube app can impact on what subtitle settings are available.

Comment

I find that viewing on a PC or viewing using the mobile Youtube app can impact on what subtitle settings are available.
                            Seems to be the issue :(

thanks all

Comment

• Irish senator is suing the Government about claim of 'RAF overflight interception' deal (thejournal.ie)

Comment

• I imagine he will be brought into a room with the Taoiseach and the the CoS and will be given a limited amount of information and then be told to mind his own business/shut his gob, in the national interest and be thankful that our neighbours have a decent air arm in the absence of one here and that whatever SECRET arrangement exists, will continue to exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X