Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote towers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote towers

    https://www.iaa.ie/news/2017/02/02/i...rial-a-success

    Could be good for regional airports getting more flights.

    Maybe Baldonnel?

  • #2
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    https://www.iaa.ie/news/2017/02/02/i...rial-a-success

    Could be good for regional airports getting more flights.

    Maybe Baldonnel?
    Won't have anything to do with new business for airports. It will simply be used to cut staffing requirements at quiet periods at Cork and Shannon i.e. Between midnight and 6 am both airports could be controlled by a single operator in Dublin.

    Given that Bal is the only military airfield and will always be military staffed, this has zero applications for the IAC. Why would you want to control it from any other location? There are no benefits to that.

    But it sure is cool.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
      Won't have anything to do with new business for airports. It will simply be used to cut staffing requirements at quiet periods at Cork and Shannon i.e. Between midnight and 6 am both airports could be controlled by a single operator in Dublin.

      Given that Bal is the only military airfield and will always be military staffed, this has zero applications for the IAC. Why would you want to control it from any other location? There are no benefits to that.

      But it sure is cool.
      You missed that AC ATC personnel shortages were effecting 24/7 ops from Baldonnel then?

      Comment


      • #4
        Couldn't ATC for bal be done by Dublin airport? You're talking tens of movements per day surely.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          Couldn't ATC for bal be done by Dublin airport? You're talking tens of movements per day surely.
          With this probably no reason why not once validated

          Comment


          • #6
            But who then will provide ATC when the fly boys go overseas with their helis??
            Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

            And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
              But who then will provide ATC when the fly boys go overseas with their helis??
              Well as I said if it can't be done at home....

              It would give them flexibility at least

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't worry,
                they won't.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                  Won't have anything to do with new business for airports. It will simply be used to cut staffing requirements at quiet periods at Cork and Shannon i.e. Between midnight and 6 am both airports could be controlled by a single operator in Dublin.

                  Given that Bal is the only military airfield and will always be military staffed, this has zero applications for the IAC. Why would you want to control it from any other location? There are no benefits to that.

                  But it sure is cool.
                  Was there a issue lately were night time transplant transfers to Britain could not be guaranteed due to shortage of ATC in Bal after hours

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sofa View Post
                    Was there a issue lately were night time transplant transfers to Britain could not be guaranteed due to shortage of ATC in Bal after hours
                    As illuded to in posts 3 & 7

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      Couldn't ATC for bal be done by Dublin airport? You're talking tens of movements per day surely.
                      Because some parts of the job you have to be able to see the aircraft (but with this trial that could be done from elsewhere)

                      http://www.military.ie/air-corps/org...-wing/505-sqn/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bal gets its radar feed from Dublin .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          Was there a issue lately were night time transplant transfers to Britain could not be guaranteed due to shortage of ATC in Bal after hours
                          Even with the allowance the pay for IAC controllers is way off what IAA's get. The average pay in that org, all ranks & grades is 91k p/a.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Can AC ATC directly slot into the civi ATC gig or do they need different exams/training?
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              Can AC ATC directly slot into the civi ATC gig or do they need different exams/training?
                              They are trained to EASA standards I think

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X