Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CASA Replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DeV View Post

    quick Google tells me Chile has them
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.aino...c295-asw%3famp
    That's what triggered the question. Are our birds gonna have the hard points? Do we know?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Graylion View Post

      Yes, because the idea is for the P-8 to use MAD-equipped drones that are launched from the sonobuoy racks. A 737 is not good at flying low n slow..
      The MAD drones, still under development, will be used to widen the distributed detection reach and have the ability to get down to almost the surface. They are an additional enabler not the prime system. The P-8A does not need MAD on the platform itself because it uses acoustic sensors and mad sensors built into the airframe integrated with AN/APY-10.

      The ConOps are such that it does not have to frequently go slow and slow like the P-3K to do its job - but it actually can as is not a standard production B738ERX airframe built at Renton. The RAAF have proven their P-8A's down to 200ft @ 160kts with high angle turning profiles, which is P-3 territory, but detection and engagement of surface and sub-surface targets is optimal at 30000-40000ft.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Anzac View Post

        The P-8A does not need MAD on the platform itself because it uses acoustic sensors and mad sensors built into the airframe integrated with AN/APY-10.
        Sorry, but I am not following. You are saying that the P8 doesn't need a MAD sensor, because it has MAD?
        Last edited by Graylion; 3 September 2021, 09:47.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Graylion View Post

          Sorry, but I am not following. You are saying that the P8 doesn't need a MAD sensor, because it has MAD?
          Sorry MAC not MAD. Typo slip. Two acoustic systems one is multi-static the other is a Increment 3 capability.

          MAD will be part of this system of systems approach deployed by the drone UTAS. Here is a bit more on the subject.

          https://www.nps.edu/documents/105988...3-2af60fb40b23
          Last edited by Anzac; 3 September 2021, 12:07. Reason: A bit more info.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Anzac View Post

            Sorry MAC not MAD. Typo slip. Two acoustic systems one is multi-static the other is a Increment 3 capability.

            MAD will be part of this system of systems approach deployed by the drone UTAS. Here is a bit more on the subject.

            https://www.nps.edu/documents/105988...3-2af60fb40b23
            Thanks! What is MAC? I am now actually pretty pumped about the 295, if only we could get more, also for other roles. What was interesting to read is that the water bombing missions broke the AW139s. So maybe the water bombing role would be of interest if we could get a few more 295, including non-MPA ones.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Graylion View Post

              Thanks! What is MAC? I am now actually pretty pumped about the 295, if only we could get more, also for other roles. What was interesting to read is that the water bombing missions broke the AW139s. So maybe the water bombing role would be of interest if we could get a few more 295, including non-MPA ones.
              we are missing a trick with not getting C295s with MAD/sonar bouys (it could be that it would mean their utility transport would be effected). Buying 2 low hours second hand is another missed opportunity

              Comment


              • the original 235s had a launch tube for air dropping flares which was allegedly capable of launching sonobuoys and of course, the ramp could be opened in flight to drop dinghies or flares or smoke floats. The flare tube was, in the early days,not allowed to be used after an incident with a flare caused some angst. Now,if it was used later, i don't know but we were warned off even touching it when the aircraft was being readied for flight.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  the original 235s had a launch tube for air dropping flares which was allegedly capable of launching sonobuoys and of course, the ramp could be opened in flight to drop dinghies or flares or smoke floats. The flare tube was, in the early days,not allowed to be used after an incident with a flare caused some angst. Now,if it was used later, i don't know but we were warned off even touching it when the aircraft was being readied for flight.
                  Not sure if the tube was used by the CASA’s launched flares over the Glen a few years ago

                  I assume aerials and consoles would need to be fitted

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Graylion View Post

                    Thanks! What is MAC?
                    Multi-static Active Coherent Capability

                    https://www.militaryaerospace.com/se...sonar-airborne
                    https://www.militaryaerospace.com/se...airborne-sonar

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      I had a short check of runway lengths. Only commercial birds that can fly out of Casement are A220-100 and E190-E2. A220 has better range. Both would be a massive increase in capability.

                      Anything bigger and we might as well relocate the Air Corps to Shannon ;-)
                      I know 767 loaded with troop rotation and pax and substantial fuel has taken off from Bal

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Spark23 View Post

                        I know 767 loaded with troop rotation and pax and substantial fuel has taken off from Bal
                        Here are the full load distances https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_767#Specifications

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                          The good thing about Wiki these days is the links to source data.

                          https://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/co.../acaps/767.pdf

                          From page 57. One can see that at sea level a B762ER with pax and fuel would have no problem getting in and out of Casement.
                          Last edited by Anzac; 15 September 2021, 11:28.

                          Comment


                          • unfortunately seems to keep coming back to lack of combi aircraft which would give us most utility.

                            Only combi 767 as far as I can find is the KC-46 that is a tanker (questionable need), cargo and pax (only certified for 58).

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              unfortunately seems to keep coming back to lack of combi aircraft which would give us most utility.

                              Only combi 767 as far as I can find is the KC-46 that is a tanker (questionable need), cargo and pax (only certified for 58).
                              DeV there is the Boeing 737-700 FC Flex-Combi conversion which has hit the market. With the 2nd aircraft been delivered this month.

                              ​​​​​​https://www.freightwaves.com/news/th...-the-flexcombi

                              There are three options: a 24-seat cabin with room for six pallet positions; a 12-seat cabin with a seven-pallet payload; and a full freighter mode with eight container positions. Pallets are loaded through an oversize cargo door. Loose cargo and baggage go in the lower hold, which is too small in narrow-body planes for containers. Like the previous 700C new build variant the C-40A one would expect it to be able to carry 121 pax on 463L RoRo palletised seating - probably just a little more STC work by PEMCO to do that.

                              A 700 FC would look good in FS16515 Boeing Grey that they paint the P-8A's in. The odd 800ft lowish pass over fishing boats every once and a while might induce a bit of paranoia from the skippers.
                              Last edited by Anzac; 15 September 2021, 13:02.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                unfortunately seems to keep coming back to lack of combi aircraft which would give us most utility.

                                Only combi 767 as far as I can find is the KC-46 that is a tanker (questionable need), cargo and pax (only certified for 58).
                                Isn't any Airbus MRTT a combi aircraft? And I agree on tanker at the moment, but that may change if we ever get some QRA birds.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X