CASA Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spark23 View Post
    A transport Casa 295 would make the operation of the other two vastly more efficient by taking some of the logistics tasks and for maintaining crew currency. But something larger is also needed.
    I'd rather a 3rd MPA

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post

I see no point in buying a CASA transport. It does not have useful range.
      I was actually referring to the C295 MPA over the C235 MPA (of course same goes for the transport versions).

the major advantage it has is commonality (training, spares, etc)

Comment

• One positive of COVID has meant that with the decline of commercial air travel, the DoDs hand has been forced to make use of AC assets (primarily FW) to shuttle people and parts to all over Europe and beyond.

Be it ferrying crews or parts, it has broken the stigma of the AC using assets to move people about for training purposes or operations.

Prior to this, if you needed to get someone from the DF to somewhere 90 mins away, they had to fly (through dublin of course, because you can't fly out of anywhere else) to wherever they were going and then trek to the final destination.

Prior to COVID, nobody cared about aircraft flying around empty for crew training but the thoughts of using that precious flight time to support DF getting from A to B would send them running.

Long may it continue. Every other modern air force will use their assets to move their people ( and often their families) around where necessary.
        ​​​​​

Comment

I'd rather a 3rd MPA
          Same although a standard C-295 might help prove the worth of a full time transport fleet.

Comment

• I had a short check of runway lengths. Only commercial birds that can fly out of Casement are A220-100 and E190-E2. A220 has better range. Both would be a massive increase in capability.

Anything bigger and we might as well relocate the Air Corps to Shannon ;-)

Comment

I had a short check of runway lengths. Only commercial birds that can fly out of Casement are A220-100 and E190-E2. A220 has better range. Both would be a massive increase in capability.

Anything bigger and we might as well relocate the Air Corps to Shannon ;-)
              Fully loaded?
              any combi versions (I know Airbus don’t make combi’s)

Comment

• Data shows Baldonnell with runway 1 at 4800ft and Runway 2 at 6000ft, both ASP surface. The Airbus 220-100 AUW 63t shows range 3240nm. What does range mean for an aircraft, can it go the distance and comeback or is it down to refuelling to get back. I know they allow for some delay and diversion with commercial fuellings and would rarely have full tanks. MPA roles are critical to any island country and must be maintained. Rule of three might apply 3 MATS and 3 MAPs.

Comment

• I have spoken to pilots who say Bal well able to manage A219/220/221 in normal wind conditions, and has done in the past.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                    Data shows Baldonnell with runway 1 at 4800ft and Runway 2 at 6000ft, both ASP surface. The Airbus 220-100 AUW 63t shows range 3240nm. What does range mean for an aircraft, can it go the distance and comeback or is it down to refuelling to get back. I know they allow for some delay and diversion with commercial fuellings and would rarely have full tanks. MPA roles are critical to any island country and must be maintained. Rule of three might apply 3 MATS and 3 MAPs.
                    Commercial range means refuelling there. The thing you are thinking of is combat radius.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      I have spoken to pilots who say Bal well able to manage A219/220/221 in normal wind conditions, and has done in the past.
                      Not at MTOW.

Takeoff run at MTOW:
                      A 220-100 4800 ft
                      A 220-300 6200 ft
                      A 319 NEO 7100 ft
                      A 320 NEO 6400 ft
                      A 321 NEO 6500 ft
                      A 321 NEO XLR 9000 ft

So, only the A 220-100 can stage out of Casement at MTOW - which after all is what we want from a transport.

Comment

I'd rather a 3rd MPA
                        Could always by 2 second hand transport and convert one to be the 3rd MPA

Comment

• I wouldn't get too wrapped up in worrying about what specific platform at Casement at MTOW.

Consider this. The two RNZAF 757's may be based at RNZAF Whenuapei, but they are often circulating out of RNZAF Ohakea as well at Wellington Airport the capital city and Christchurch International Airport the largest city in the south. At both Wellington and Christchurch we each have a small RNZAF Air Movements facility. The aircraft are also sent to RNZAF Woodborne the only heavy maintenance facility which has just a 4700ft runway.

So what I am saying is everything does not have to be a one stop shop at Casement. Have the heavy maintenance done under contract at Dublin Airport (if the aircraft is likely to be a Boeing or Airbus product it makes economic sense for just a couple of B73's or A32's) and even semi-base the aircraft there setting up a small air movements facility somewhere on the airport complex adjacent to a hardstand area.

Comment

Commercial range means refuelling there. The thing you are thinking of is combat radius.
                            Thanks for that. Yes, I was thinking of situation of touch, discharge, and return to a friendly site for refuelling or straight home. You could base at any usable Airport. We were thinking of Cork Airport for the Dauphin 365 as a permanent base when off ship, however unknown priorities put an end to that pipe dream.

Comment

• The time for the purchase of a commercial jet (A220/A320/B737/E195 etc) has passed. One year ago they could have be purchased relatively cheaply but that time has passed. And what should not be forgotten is how much it cost to convert one of these into a proper modern military transport aircraft. German got a good deal last year on some Airbus A350 aircraft but the total cost is double once they have gone through the conversion process.

Having an independent airlifter would be a great advantage and it does not need to have a massive range. It only needs to fly from the nearest friendly secure base to the operational area. Belgium for example when evacuating from Afghanistan first flew people to Pakistan! Thus a cargo C-295 might just be enough as well as all the other commonality benefits it would bring. But if something larger is needed then IMHO the option to join the German proposed Airlift Wing of 13x A400Ms would be the next best option. Failing that there will soon be a whole fleet of C130J coming on the market as the UK divest from the type!

Comment

• Sick of saying it,Spark 23. Strip out an MPA or buy a second hand 235 and use it for dedicated transport/ crew familiarity/casevac/para, etc, etc. Utility is the watch word here.

Comment

Working...
                                X