Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military transport aircraft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Any chance the RAF would give us the C130J they are getting rid of on Tuesday? All have at least another 15 years left in them.
    be nice, but DOD would never go for it unless we say we didnt want or need them then the DOD well defiantly get two, but it would be a great peace of kit to get
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by madmark View Post
      be nice, but DOD would never go for it unless we say we didnt want or need them then the DOD well defiantly get two, but it would be a great peace of kit to get
      Time to try reverse psychology

      psyops unit required

      Comment


      • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        Any chance the RAF would give us the C130J they are getting rid of on Tuesday? All have at least another 15 years left in them.
        If it happens go for it. Don't waste time dithering because others will snap them up.

        I am sure that they would be happy to sell them to the Irish Government along the lines of the recent Bangladesh deal which iirc the deal for five was circa Eur250m including a comprehensive regeneration and avionics upgrade, training, spares and support through Marshalls. A bargain considering the RNZAF is paying Eur920m for their five J-30's. You will easily get over 25 years great service out of them, possibly more as they do the job required day in day out for up to 60 years. Through the diplomatic lens it will get lots of goodwill in the "goodwill bank" for Ireland in the UK.

        Comment


        • Just as long as the actual overhauls and subsequent service contract are tightly written in our favour and monitored with a critical eye. We've been bitten before on all-inclusive contracts that cost a fortune for basic, widely available parts. Military customers are seen as suckers to be milked by the big firms.

          Comment


          • One year after Leo, when asked by Cathal Berry in PQs about military strategic transport aircraft, today in PQs the deputy asked what progress had been made since.
            The response was unsurprising.
            https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1390272592947433475
            German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
            German 2: Private? I am a general!
            German 1: That is the bad news.

            Comment


            • How this sounds:

              Leo to DF COS : "I think you need a big plane, sell me the idea"
              DF COS: "I'd prefer something more boaty"

              Incredible stuff really. A DF COS torpedoing (pun intended) the offer of a transport aircraft. Something you might expect from a Dept DG.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                How this sounds:

                Leo to DF COS : "I think you need a big plane, sell me the idea"
                DF COS: "I'd prefer something more boaty"

                Incredible stuff really. A DF COS torpedoing (pun intended) the offer of a transport aircraft. Something you might expect from a Dept DG.
                I don't believe that's how it panned out.
                German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                German 2: Private? I am a general!
                German 1: That is the bad news.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                  How this sounds:

                  Leo to DF COS : "I think you need a big plane, sell me the idea"
                  DF COS: "I'd prefer something more boaty"

                  Incredible stuff really. A DF COS torpedoing (pun intended) the offer of a transport aircraft. Something you might expect from a Dept DG.
                  To quote Leo

                  At the time, the Chief of Staff did provide a position paper. That was last year when I was Taoiseach. It was a position paper relating to the acquisition of a strategic airlift aircraft as a concept, but this project was not put forward onto the civil military five-year equipment development plan in the list of identified equipment priorities.
                  the EDP wasn’t a DF publication. It was either DoD or Government

                  Comment


                  • Everything is being tied to the EDP now and once its there it is written in stone. The EDP and CoDF have given the minister an excuse to do nothing until after December at the earliest. Even if the need was immediate and obvious to all.
                    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                    German 2: Private? I am a general!
                    German 1: That is the bad news.

                    Comment


                    • I'd agree with you on how the EDP and CoDF could be used to stimmie things outside the EDPs explicitly stated programmes til the end of the year. (I'm really surprised there's nothing specific about naval surface/sub-surfrace warfare, transport aircraft or helicopters at all.) An extra C295 would be an easy first option too.

                      But at the same time, there's enough waffle between the good parts of the EDP to allow flying saucers to make it in and for the people involved to say "sure it was always an option in the plan". Such as the (single) PC12 280. (I think if Simon minister, we may have seen that second PC12.)

                      What hopefully we'll see is the CoDF actually inform government policy, and thus a revised current EDP or the next EDP. Properly considered, backed and most importantly resourced, together with a reformed DoD structure and outlook*, this would see the right equipment procured for the next 30 years (for all services). Hopefully, then we'll see one or more A321/C40/C130/C390 (in addition to that extra C295) in service for the future*

                      * Yes, that may have been a pig flying by... Twice...
                      Last edited by meridian; 8 May 2021, 11:20.

                      Comment


                      • One of the CN235's could be retained and used for a few years in a utility/transport role. We already own the aircraft, I personally think it would be a waste to dispose of the 235's when we are in need of the capability they possess and could provide if stripped of the MPA fit.

                        Comment


                        • No. They are falling apart and cost a lot of maintenance. They are #2 and #3 of the worldwide CASA fleet in hours/

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by pilatus View Post
                            One of the CN235's could be retained and used for a few years in a utility/transport role. We already own the aircraft, I personally think it would be a waste to dispose of the 235's when we are in need of the capability they possess and could provide if stripped of the MPA fit.
                            They’ve had what two major rebuilds already? What’s their reliability rates at this stage? Make more sense to me if there’s the political will to add in a third 295 instead.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                              No. They are falling apart and cost a lot of maintenance. They are #2 and #3 of the worldwide CASA fleet in hours/
                              They are certainly not failing apart although they will come to a point where manufacturors support will fade away

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Spark23 View Post

                                They are certainly not failing apart although they will come to a point where manufacturors support will fade away
                                Plus if we retained only one what is commonality of type with C295?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X