Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    What RFP is that from Dev?
    The one for the maritime patrol aircraft that led to the C295 being selected for the AC
    Last edited by DeV; 19 May 2020, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      I was surprised by the CPFH for the C-130H as the figures they gave in the C-130J SAR for both aircraft were around the same value, the C-130H being a little lower.
      It costs a lot to keep 50 year old planes in the air mainly due to the scarcity of parts and the time fixing them.

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      But that is only the CPFH, a C17 lifts more and flies faster.
      Thus on a 5.5hr mission a C-17 will lift 71,214kg a distance of 2420nm, a C-130J will lift 15,422kg a distance of 1800nm. So looking at kg/nm the C-17 has a massive advantage over the C-130J. But as we both know, the mix will be different, it will not always be flying such load, there will be training fights without cargo, flight with troops etc. But I was surprised how cheap the C-17 was to operate, and if you want medium/long distance cargo then it seems a great fit.
      Sadly they are not making them anymore.

Comment

Not a fan personally.
        "The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: the inflight failure of the right wing due to fatigue cracking in the center wing lower skin and underlying structural members. A factor contributing to the accident was inadequate maintenance procedures to detect fatigue cracking."

As it was not the only crash in 2002 further investigations showed that pilots were regularly pulling almost 4g in low level drops. Something they would expect from a fighter but not a fire fighting aircraft. The FAA did later tighten up a lot and although aerial fire fighting like all fire fighting remains risky it is today a lot safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anzac View Post
          Sadly they are not making them anymore.
          Yes, sadly, that is Boeing. They didn't like the SoCal sun, prefer rainy NW.

Comment

What RFP is that from Dev?
            Accidental click of the dislike button here, apologies!
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Belgium has a nice A321, introduced in 2014. One of it's first jobs was a trip to Mali. Belgium leased it from HIFLI.
              Ireland has a long history of aircraft leasing. Surely government could get a competitive deal from one of these companies?
              https://www.flightglobal.com/belgian...0h7SPg.twitter
              German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
              German 2: Private? I am a general!
              German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/05/...ish-air-corps/

Comment

https://twitter.com/slandail_nssi/st...682550274?s=21

Slan Dail are doing a webinar on this very subject on 26 May

Comment

Belgium has a nice A321, introduced in 2014. One of it's first jobs was a trip to Mali. Belgium leased it from HIFLI.
                    Ireland has a long history of aircraft leasing. Surely government could get a competitive deal from one of these companies?
                    https://www.flightglobal.com/belgian...0h7SPg.twitter
                    HiFly have being providing wet leased aircraft to Belgium for many years now, the have an A380 if you still want one!

Comment

would not surprise me if this is what leo was looking at
                      https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...und-the-royals
                      https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-...ircraft-fleet/
                      https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/bae146-ccmk2-and-cmk3/
                      Last edited by madmark; 20 May 2020, 20:23.
                      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

We had this discussion before and it doesn't seem to be a popular choice on IMO. However it does appear to be cheap, though whether you would get a C MK3 for EUR 10million... I still am of the opinion that the versatility of the C Mk3 (QC) is what the IAC requires but the expert view is that it is an unreliable aircraft and who am I to argue with that.

Comment

Well one that is still flyable is a lot better than one that is destined to be used as a ground based training unit for fire & rescue or the ARW.
                          I think though, that it might take five or six trips to move one of overseas deployed units, and in very little comfort for any flight going further than Paris.
                          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                          German 2: Private? I am a general!
                          German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

Well one that is still flyable is a lot better than one that is destined to be used as a ground based training unit for fire & rescue or the ARW.
                            I think though, that it might take five or six trips to move one of overseas deployed units, and in very little comfort for any flight going further than Paris.
                            Very true. There's no doubt that they are not ideal but when you see amounts of EUR 10 million being mentioned there really is no/little alternative. The comfort may be addressed somewhat in the C MK3 in that in full passenger config it carries 95, presumably 19 rows X 5 compared to its civil equivalent 146-200 112 passengers in 19 rows X 6. The range would also require a refueling stop half way to Beirut/Tel Aviv/Haifa.

Comment

Originally posted by ias View Post
                              Very true. There's no doubt that they are not ideal but when you see amounts of EUR 10 million being mentioned there really is no/little alternative. The comfort may be addressed somewhat in the C MK3 in that in full passenger config it carries 95, presumably 19 rows X 5 compared to its civil equivalent 146-200 112 passengers in 19 rows X 6. The range would also require a refueling stop half way to Beirut/Tel Aviv/Haifa.
                              More likely two refueling stops en-route to Beirut, was a stretch to make it back to Dub from Malaga direct.

Comment

The BAe146's that the RAF got are -100's from 1986, one will go to the RAF museum (even if not announced) and the rest will be sold and parted out. BAe stopped making the 146 in 1993 and the next generation RJ was last made in 2000. Given the effect of Covid-19 on the commercial market many of the older aircraft now on the ground will never fly again. This means that there are plenty of new, more efficient, bigger aircraft now available. For $10m today it would be possible to get a Boeing 767-300 that is around 20yrs old.

Comment

Working...
                                X