Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Why weren't UNNY flying scheduled?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by ODIN View Post

All things considered, sort of a bargain. Though, I do believe that an organic strategic airlift is required.
    Around €900,000 of that was on:
    UNTSO - 12 personnel
    MINURSO - 2 personnel
    MONUSCO - 3 personnel
    UNNY - 2 personnel
    EUFOR BiH - 5 personnel
    EUTM Mali - 20 personnel
    KFOR - 20 personnel

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Expect more urgent evacuations in coming weeks I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

It's a bargain, in the same way as owning a Car is far more costly than taking a taxi for your daily commute.

Unless you need to travel long distance, to somewhere the Taxi doesn't want to go because he'll have no return fare back, so you end up paying his return fare too.
    Or its New Years eve, you just met the love of your life, and their friends have promised them a lift home, but they'll go home with you... if you could just get a taxi.. or had your own car....
    Or you are out hillwalking, and your buddy, who drove you there just broke an ankle, .... so you have to call an ambulance......and the nearest ambulance is in the next county.... and then you have to get home after...
    Like I said, we need an organic strategic airlift. The Afghanistan evacuation is just the most recent example as to why.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by ODIN View Post

All things considered, sort of a bargain. Though, I do believe that an organic strategic airlift is required.
    It's a bargain, in the same way as owning a Car is far more costly than taking a taxi for your daily commute.

Unless you need to travel long distance, to somewhere the Taxi doesn't want to go because he'll have no return fare back, so you end up paying his return fare too.
    Or its New Years eve, you just met the love of your life, and their friends have promised them a lift home, but they'll go home with you... if you could just get a taxi.. or had your own car....
    Or you are out hillwalking, and your buddy, who drove you there just broke an ankle, .... so you have to call an ambulance......and the nearest ambulance is in the next county.... and then you have to get home after...

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    Originally posted by Tempest View Post
    DoD spent 3 million chartering aircraft

jrnl://article/5658719?source=fbal&target_url=http%3A%2F%2Fjrnl.i e%2F5658719f

Leave a comment:

• Tempest
    replied

DoD spent 3 million chartering aircraft

jrnl://article/5658719?source=fbal&target_url=http%3A%2F%2Fjrnl.i e%2F5658719f

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    The downside is that when you go asking for big toys, the DoD will fob you off with budgetary excuses/costs of Covid/blame Finance/insert any excuse you can and they will point to the four PC-12s and tell you to sod off,you've got new toys already, make the best use of them......so the PC 12s will be run ragged to keep up with transport duties. The argument for a bigger transport aircraft is as old as time itself and the answer is self evident and I suspect, that if the hand of the DoD is forced, they will buy no more than a token 295 or even a well used ATR.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    That article, combined with the other 2 articles on the Kabul operation, told from the DFA and DF side, are very telling.
    It is clear that (having) our own aircraft would have made the entire operation far less complex.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Nice article on pages 50 - 53 of the Summer 2021 RACO Signal journal by Cathal Berry TD on the need for a national air transport capability (specifically mentioning the former WFP C295s offered). Clearly written articles like this sum up perfectly why the capability is needed, nicely done. I'd be in favour of obtaining additional C295s, but the most important thing is a proper study of the exact requirements of any national air transport, followed up by an appropriate platform (as many have mentioned above).

* https://en.calameo.com/read/006194269221c49660b01
    Last edited by meridian; 27 December 2021, 10:03.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Can we CPO this?

https://twitter.com/michaelkelly707/...102318084?s=21

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by CTU View Post
    If only someone would write a book or even a television show
    Yes Minister

Leave a comment:

• CTU
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Again.
    Nobody could have forseen it.
    Aahh yes the Munich Agreement Excuse, followed then by the four-stage strategy.

DFA : What if the Minister insists we help them?
    DOD : Then we follow the four-stage strategy.
    DFA: What's that?
    DOD: Standard DoD response in a time of crisis.
    • In stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    • Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    • In stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we *can* do.
    • Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

If only someone would write a book or even a television show
    Last edited by CTU; 2 December 2021, 17:50.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Again.
    Nobody could have forseen it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X