No announcement yet.

ec145s for air corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why 2 types? Why not either the EC135 or 145? The capabilities are so similar as to be unimportant.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In case anyone is wondering our configuration would be probally be very similar to this French Configuration:

"Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

It should be noted that the AIIIs it replaced were also with the securite civile, i.e. non military
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Lordinajamjar ... the tendering situation was already discussed here;

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...ghlight=tender

Essentially, EU countries don't have to tender for purely military goods under the terms of "Article 3 of the Supply Directive 93/36/EEC and Article 4 of the Services Directive 92/50/EEC).
          Article 296 of the EC Treaty".

There are other ways of getting around it also, such as writing the tender in such a narrow way that no other piece of equipment meets the requirements, but if EU governments wish to trade in arms or any militarily sensitive equipment, they are free to do so under EU law without resorting to a tender.

Comment

I dont think it has anything to do with the fact that NATO uses the blackhawk, it simply boils down to which is the cheapest and which is the most capable...

I reckon the military wants the blackhawk and leaked a story to the newspaper and the DoD/government wants something cheap and cheerful. I think the EC135 is a ball of sh1te, but it just seems the aircorps luck to have a sh1t airframe like that bought for them

Comment

xxxxx
              Last edited by ; 23 November 2004, 12:05.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

It looks like a nissan micra with rotor blades, i agree with yj, if this is future of IAC heli ops for the forseeable future then theyre shagged. Would i be right in saying that this is inferior to the gazelle in speed an dauphin in lifting capability, 6 for 12 is bad news no matter what, hate to say to say it but if this is true looks like the AC is turnin into a training ground for chaffeurs for the govt, what is it 8 pc-9s, 6 ec145s, and then the mats and garda aircraft,
                "ya might wanna raise your gear."

Comment

It would be nice to lift more troops with fewer helis but 145s are no better than our current capacity. For instance, seven Alouettes could lift 28 fighting order troops and the 4 Dauphins could lift a further 24. That's 52 by my basic maths. If the 135s are committed to training, that leaves the 145s with a capacity of 8 in the back. So 4 can lift 32 troops in total. Now we aint talking huge distances in either scenario, and people may argue that not all the Alouettes and Dauphins will be available at the same time, but how often are all the 145s going to be available at the same time? You could lose 2 Dauphins and 2 Alouettes to servicing or other commitments and still retain the same capacity as all 4 145s. And before anyone says I've miscounted the seats in the Dauphin and Alouette, I'm allowing them a certain amount of spare lift capacity which is standard in tactical operations (which I haven't for the 145 which would place it further at a disadvantage). What I'm getting at is that we are taking a step backwards from current military capacity by looking at a fleet of 6 luh and especially by looking at a civil heli like the 145 which has no provision for weaponry, no special team insertion capability, no countermeasures and is unlikely to stand up to heavy military (ab)use. Surely with the development of army roles in Europe, we should be looking at a similar advance in even a troop training capacity?

Comment

What about if they are complemented by blackhawk, puma or S-92 style aircraft? (Wishful thinking I know):o
                    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Hopefully if Fine Gael get into power or Fianna Fail get their act together we`ll see the s-92 contract brought back. We could probably get a few pumas/superpumas etc from britain for dirt cheap when they phase them out for the merlin.
                      Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

It might interest ye to know this. A mate of mine had his interview for the cadets last week. At this he was told that there would be 6 new light helis along with a set of new medium helis in the air corps in the near future....not sure if they were bull shitting him and the rest of the people there but if theres any bit of truth to it it'll be good news eh?
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Fingers crossed buddy, fingers crossed.
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

thats the info i`ve been hearing for a while too but we`ve all heard good rumours in the past only to have our hopes destroyed. I really do hope this ones true
                            Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Now all we need is a few more fixed wing planes(jets maybe) and i think the Air Corps would be the pride of the defence forces.
                              I think the navy can do with another ship or two also.
                              and the army with a few more modern tanks. But thats for another board
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

before I start a serious rant, Im quite pissed off with the sh1t end of the stick the aircorps (and navy) get

145s + army co-op = "look lads thats what helis look like, err but we cant fit to many of us into them,but dont worry lads they are well suited for ministers"

militarily, what a pathetic joke the 145s is!!:o

A mate of mine had his interview for the cadets last week. At this he was told that there would be 6 new light helis along with a set of new medium helis in the air corps in the near future..
                                I would love to be wrong but I honestly belive that were getting some tin can like the 145's and the only blackhawks well see is our US friends visiting us in the coming months.

As for Medium lifts ? most unlikely... I have heard speculation from the indo about blackhawks, but this should be put in context to the L-159's major feature in a edition of connect(after that baldonnel airshow) and comments from RTE like "Irish military authorities are seriously considering purchasing this aircraft"

XX years later rolls out the PC-9 :(

were the 2nd richest EU country in europe and were about to waste money on a complete unless pathetic non military, tin can:confused:

Comment

Working...
                                X